CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

79 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Yes, savory, please

42 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Yes, any kind

78 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

36 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can take what I said, "they bit off more than they could chew," and rephrase it as, "the project could never succeed with AP as leader." In this instance, you cannot separate "they" from "they, under AP." I stand by what I said.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would agree too. The mission statement shifted from "make Axanar" to "make a professional studio" and that went completely sideways.

3. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I think Alec got greedy when it occured to him that he could use someone else's intellectual property to create a for-profit studio with someone else's money. "Mission creep" to me implies innocent intent. Building the studio may not have been the original intent, but I don't believe you can call the original intent (post-Prelude) innocent either. All he had to do was quit while he was ahead, but it's the nature of grifters to keep going until they get caught.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And then just carry on again as soon as they're out of the woods, which is exactly what's happened (albeit on a far smaller scale than before)

5. CorporalCaptain

I want to respond to this point in another way than before.

Even granting that this is so, given what we've seen in terms of script and what we've seen in terms of AP's acting ability, what would have been produced would never have lived up to the hype. There is no way that a finished product made at the time could have rivaled, much less surpassed, professionally produced theatrical Star Trek, really in any conceivable way.

If the goal had simply been to produce a fan film and have fun while doing it, the results might have been different. We might well have seen a finished product. But, no, from the start it was billed that Axanar was going to be something more, something better than Star Trek itself, something that could never be achieved.

At a minimum, the script was never ready to achieve what they set out to achieve. They were at no point ready to produce what they'd set out to deliver. So, "bit off more than they could chew" is, IMO, really quite apt.

Also, their primary goal being beyond their means to achieve does not exclude, excuse, or explain away other issues, including how they went about raising money.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    RedForman and MikeH92467 like this.
  6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

137th Gebirg likes this.
  7. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

Probably Anton. There are a bunch of other TOS Fasa designs on there as well. I'm glad to see them get some modern attention.

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are a couple of silhouettes that seem to come from the Star Trek Franz Joseph technical Manual as well.

SITZKRIEG! and Markonian like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. CorporalCaptain

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Alec and his tin can grift should be permabaned from conventions.

13. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

Physical altercation? Seriously?! I wonder if they're going to have to drag him while he's kicking and screaming out of that convention!

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Kinda vague....

15. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a lot about this on the Facebook groups but, to me, it also sounds kinda vague.

For those unsure, there's the Axamonitor group which is pretty boisterous and is angry at Axanar.

Then there's the Real Truth About Axanar group which is pretty boisterous and is angry at Axamonitor.

Then there's the After Axanar group which isn't boisterous and isn't angry just disappointed in both Axanar and Axamonitor.

Coops and 137th Gebirg like this.
  16. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

The story I guess has something to do with Shawn O’Halloran walking by the Axanar table with his cell phone, Peters slapping the phone out of Shawn’s hand, and then some sort of altercation ensuing after that. Shawn is one of the more outspoken members of the Axamonitor FB group and Alec considers him his stalker. His son was also the one with the duck mask from STLV a few weeks back. I don’t know. There’s still a lot of information missing but this all continues to feel like a feud gone very public between two men who need to grow up.

KennyB, Coops and SITZKRIEG! like this.
  17. mthompson1701

mthompson1701 Commander Red Shirt

I just got a donor e-mail about what happened at Dragon Con. For Alec's side of this, it's on the Axanar blog. I don't feel like clicking the link, but I'm sensing the victim mentality from the wording in the e-mail.

18. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I read it. Its exactly what you expect. I look forward to the video and O'Halloran's explanation. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

ozzfloyd likes this.
  19. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Yup.

I read the link, predictably it does it's best to paint Alex as entirely blameless, Shawn as being totally responsible for the situation and makes no mention of Alex technically trespassing on the venue by returned after he'd been ejected.

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Here's the content of that email: