CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

79 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Yes, savory, please

42 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Yes, any kind

78 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

36 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Familiar.:) . And yup!

I posted on this in an old Exeter thread a while back:

Part 5: Every Film is Written Three Times

There’s an old Hollywood axiom, frequently attributed to Hitchcock or Kubrick but its actual provenance is unknown, which goes something like:
    1. Dennis had written the script, committing the story to written words.
    2. Scott Cummins had directed the show, committing it to video, “rewriting” it to work on camera.
    3. The editors had then constructed the story from the shot footage, “rewriting” it again to work in "time".

So, if you were to compare what had been shot to what the script says, you’d see they are different. And when you compare the edited acts to the raw footage from the shoot, you’d see how different it is, too. Each step is a sort of adaptation of the preceding one. What works on the page doesn’t always work on the stage. What works on the stage doesn’t always work on the screen. So, you “rewrite” the story by changing emphasis, rearranging and repurposing material, and sometimes using material in ways it was never intended to.​

lurok, Professor Moriarty and CRM-114 like this.
  2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Annie Hall is a good example of this.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The DVD version of the first MIB movie that I have has a program where you can edit your own version of the autopsy scene, and it really amazed me just how different the different takes were. Even if the line was the same, sometime the delivery was pretty different.
    It also gave a great idea of how important editing really is to a movie. Just choosing what take to use, and when to do things like cutting to a reaction shot from one character or the other could have a remarkable impact on how the scene played out. I think this kind of thing is especially true for comedy, where so much of the humor is based on timing, and a lot of that timing comes from the editing.

Matthew Raymond likes this.
  4. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

That DVD sold like hot cakes just for that feature.

jespah likes this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

jespah, RedForman and Admiral2 like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate to break it to Alec, but the lawsuit was entirely his fault, not Moonves.

RedForman, Admiral2 and seigezunt like this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Alec is sending his application for the CEO position to CBS as soon as he gets enough donations for postage.

9. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

This man's writing might actually be profound if he ever picked up a dictionary.

Ironically, at the end of this screed he stated the real reason Les Moonves was fired: his treatment of women. Great, but that's punishment, not karma, and it has jack to do with Star Trek.

Karma would be if he lost his job for greenlighting Disco and the resulting numbers for All Access came in and sucked, thereby causing him to suffer for continuing a franchise he doesn't even like. Karma would be if he actually sued fans and he lost his job because fans mounted a successful on-line petition to oust him. Karma is retribution in kind, not just retribution in any kind for anything.

Here, Alec is just being Alec. He's trying to increase the membership in his personality cult by tying the Moonves firing to trek and thus continuing to imply he's the true champion of true trek for true fans. :rolleyes:

I've given my opinion here numerous times. I want somebody else to tell the story of Axanar so that this doofus no longer has that candy to suck on. That would be karma.

I'd laugh my ass off at that...and say good riddance.

BeatleJWOL, Jedi_Master and RedForman like this.
  11. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't been keeping up with everyone's favorite C.F. as closely lately - not at all surprised to see LFIM pile on. I'm not so sure he has a grip on the complexities of who owns what when it comes to Star Trek and copyrights though.

When the news broke about Patrick Stewart bringing Picard back, I wrote a bit on my blog about that and speculated about possible plotlines of a new series. A reader commented and pointed me to a video that speculated about what had been going on behind the scenes to make such a move possible. What really caught my attention though is how they laid out the discrepancies between JJ-Trek, Discovery and everything else and tied it all back into the complicated copyright arrangement between CBS and Paramount/Viacom.

Someone else commented on a subsequent post I made, calling the source ("Midnight's Edge") the 'National Enquirer' of Trek News. I don't really follow Trek-related News at all and cast the disparagement aside for the simple fact that the hypothesis presented makes way too much sense (for me at least). Of course, it paints a pretty dire picture for the future of Trek and canon (unless of course Moonves were to be sacked and then replaced by a more Trek-friendly exec).

I will say though, the one thing Moonves and LFIM have in common is greed - they both want to make money, but have vastly different ideas of how to do so.

Admiral2 likes this.
  12. Maurice

Honestly, many of us care not a damned thing about canon and the prime universe. And unless we know the actual contract particulars of the CBS-Paramount realtionship re Trek it's just a bunch of idle speculation. I've had my nose ground up against enough licensing contracts and deals to know there's no one-size-fits-all.

Professor Zoom and Nerys Myk like this.
  13. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course it’s all speculation at this point. Plenty of people could care less about canon too. Knowing LFIM though, his ego and going by that post he made on Moonves’ abrupt departure, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see him position himself as the savior of it all (in a bid to stay relevant)

14. Maurice

Or at least stay in the spotlight he craves.

15. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    So, based on alleged postage speeds concerning anything Axanar releated, how would this potential application make it to CBS in time to make the deadline?:rolleyes:;)

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The same speed at which they send the donator patches. Since they're moving at relativistic FTL speeds, they're actually traveling backwards in time. Meaning, they've been sent, but they will necessarily never reach their destination in forward linear time.

Jedi_Master and RedForman like this.
  17. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Don't get all techobabble on me, Sir!;):lol:

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

What if they send them via ansible?

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It's what I do.

I drink and technobabble. :D
    Then AP may run the risk potentially having the application appear in everyone's inbox at all points in space simultaneously.

This might result in some unintended confusion. Then again, he likes being confusing, so maybe he'll consider that a plus.

trynda1701 likes this.