CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by rabid bat, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

53 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. Yes, savory, please

29 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Yes, any kind

48 vote(s)
    38.7%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

23 vote(s)
    18.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Well, that seems like staying within the "spirit" of the settlement. lol.
    Why are they advertising this shit?

dmac likes this.
  2. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hubris. (Thanks, Word of the Day toilet paper!) :techman:

dmac, Admiral2 and rabid bat like this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do like that set, but it's still clearly unfinished. Look at the science station for example, it has gaps for the extra bits Spock's station has... but none of those bits are there. It being a different class of ship doesn't wash because the remaining screens have gaps for the missing parts.

Also the (awesome) extra consoles and (shitty, out of place) helm aren't backlit, they're literally drawn-on buttons on the level of LCARS control consoles I made out of black paper and a set of coloured stickers when I was 11.

4. Dry Bones 37

Dry Bones 37 Admiral Admiral

Because they're starting to believe what they are selling. It's a very dangerous game to play.

MikeH92467 likes this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really confused about why he is so absolutely devoted to Alec. It seems like to Lane he can do absolutely no wrong, and it's honestly starting to scare me a little bit. The level of devotion he has to him is just insane.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Cults have that effect on people.

RedForman, dmac and Admiral2 like this.
  7. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Are we absolutely sure he isn't a character actor fronting for Peters? I mean, it would explain where the million bucks went...

:lol:

Admiral2 and 137th Gebirg like this.
  8. Reilly

Reilly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They're playing fast and loose with the crowd funding, which I imagine is mainly what's going to bring CBS down on them. They're using a strict interpretation that they're not allowed to use Kickstarter, Indiegogo etc. Under the Guidelines, *private* fundraising is unlimited, so if you've got a fan with a bunch of money burning a hole in their pocket, that's absolutely allowed.

Peters is trying to engage in a loophole in a couple of ways:

1. He's trying to draw distinctions between "Axanar" and "Ares Studios", so he can use Patreon etc for the "studio" and not the actual fan film. I imagine at this point though everyone knows they're so intertwined that its going to be hard for him to argue he's not acting out of bad faith. Especially since all marketting for Ares Studios tends to rely on Axanar-based materials. Alec will constantly spout off about how they're "separate legal entities", but I expect that bit of paper trail skullduggery is only going to go so far.

2. By hosting his own fundraising platform "Ares Digital", he'll argue this is just to track private contributions from well-meaning fans, not a proper crowd-funding campaign. He might've been able to make this work, except that its all predicated on publicising that they're doing this, either through Youtube livestreams, FFF, spamming existing mailing lists of donors or whatever else. I struggle to see how at that point its not just crowd-funding that happens to just run on a private platform as opposed to one of the more well-known ones.

Point 2 is probably going to be what brings the hammer down on Alec again. The last lawsuit included the fact he was personally profiting off of CBS IP, and he's just back to his old tricks (if indeed, he ever stopped). The Notice from CBS appearing on Axamonitor just as Alec is starting up his not-Crowd Funding appeals is surely not a coincidence.

Admiral2 likes this.
  9. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yep. He trureky believes cbs won’t dare attack “the fans” again lilely because he believes dc that all of Trek is in crisis and chaos.

10. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is exactly what he was saying before he got sued last time

Admiral2 likes this.
  11. Krandor

Yep. My honest opinion is that CBS was waiting will after this first shoot and the start of the crowdfunding campaign to hit him. They already sent a notice on the patreon so I bet they send another one soon about the patreon and the ares digital campaign. He'll refuse the make changes and away we go....

remember last time was shortly after the vulcan scene.

GeorgeKirk and Admiral2 like this.
  12. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions

13. captainkirk

captainkirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, no way he can argue that this fundraiser isn't for Axanar.

14. Krandor

This fundraiser is for axanar.. this is the "private fundraiser"

15. Reilly

The craziness of this most recent appeal is that its to pay $50k-$70k for a shoot that's already happened. So how did he pay for it then? And shouldn't he have a far more pinned down figure he's asking for, if its already been spent? He certainly can't argue he's not expecting fans to pay for his own hobby at that point, since he seems to feel entitled to recoup any costs he puts into his fan film (which to be fair, he was clearly arguing with the previous Axanar budgets as well).

Surely if you were being fair about this, he'd have paid for this shoot (which is also only the first of 5 I believe), and any fundraising would be to cover subsequent shoots? This retrospective thing is just bonkers.

16. Krandor

except lane or Alec to pay for their own fan film???? LOL!!!

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

At best, that's the appeal that he spent his own money and he'd rather have spent YOURS. You're refilling his pockets, literally. If the shoot already happened, he didn't need the money, he just didn't want it to be his bill at the end. Unless he put it all on the credit card and is praying the fundraiser comes through before the bill does... :lol:

18. Reilly

Its madness I know :D

Its so hopelessly transparent at this point. At least during Prelude it seemed on the up-and-up. I guarantee you of that £50k-£70k there's a healthy overhead for Alec's own bank balance. It'll be interesting to see what he actually ends up making (if you can believe any total he publicises). Certainly not as much as he'd like. Too many burned donors left in his wake at this point, although being fair he does ok off of the faithful.

19. Krandor

I’m still not seeing how that shoot this weekend cost $50-75k

20. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The lead actor "Garth" is charging a fortune!!

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.