CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

79 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Yes, savory, please

42 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Yes, any kind

78 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

36 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would like to think that they wouldn't punish the whole fan film community because of Alec, but you can never be to sure with these kind of big corporations.
    I know he was kind of responsible for the fan film guidelines being released, but I think something like that was inevitable after things like New Voyages/Phase II, Continues Gods and Men, and Renegades, so it's not entirely on Alec. Now, on the other hand, if somethig he does leads to a crackdown on all fan films, it will be.

2. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fan films won't be eliminated by CBS; fan filmmakers who poke the bear will dispatched.

It's speculated that the guidelines were coming anyway, due to the "arms race" by fan productions to get bigger and get the Trek actors and take in more and more money and whatnot. I'd like to say that in my opinion, it's the ones who billed their projects as "independent Star Trek" or a "pilot for a new series" or "real Star Trek better than CBS/P" that caused the guidelines to happen. I'd go so far as to say, if AP hadn't raised and squandered over ONE MILLION DOLLARS, CBS and Paramount might have sent out a few nicely worded letters asking people to slow their roll.

But that's not how it happened. His Majesty was told that CBS was not happy, and he ignored it. This is all well documented in the original thread, for those who aren't up to speed.

I don't think it will be long before CBS intervenes again, and speaking for myself, it will be delicious.

Imagine the comedic possibilities. :techman:

Firebird, RedForman, Danja and 3 others like this.
  3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The other stuff you're citing had gone on for well over a decade with no problem at all.

What Peter's did was raise over a million dollars using CBS's IP. That was way different, and the only real problem.

Skipper, Admiral2 and dmac like this.
  4. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There were times before Axanar when a fan film studio was asked by CBS not to do something or make a change to how they were doing things. I don't recall anyone not responding to a request by CBS with all due respect.

Admiral2 and feek61 like this.
  5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yeah but Renegades was poking the bear pretty hard, too.

6. Serveaux

Yeah, but they knew when to fold their cards. :lol:

Jedi_Master and Therin of Andor like this.
  7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Could we just stop with the moral relativism? Nobody in fan films transgressed the way Alec Peters did. Alec Peters' problems were brought on by Alec Peters. Star Trek Fan Films problems were brought on by Alec Peters.

Alec Peters didn't just poke the bear. He got dressed up in a bear costume and tried to steal its food.

Alec Peters didn't just join the fan film arms race. He tried to leap frog the race entirely and traded shots with the superpower, and the superpower took steps to remind everybody it was the superpower. That's what superpowers do.

I have no problem blaming Alec Peters for any setbacks suffered by trek fan filmmakers in the wake of his past bullshit and those they could in the wake of his current bullshit.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Based on that description, I'm reminded of an excellent 1959 Peter Sellers movie - "The Mouse That Roared".

Shaka Zulu, jespah, Admiral2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Serveaux

This does not mean what you think it means.

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Inconceivable!

So okay, what word would you like me to use for people trying to assign Peters' bullshit to other fan filmmakers, which was one of his defenses? ("Everybody was doing it!") Go ahead, let me know and I'll edit the post.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe they couldn't eliminate them entirely, but I could see them decide to start going after any other high profile fan production they find out about.
    Oh I didn't mean to imply it wasn't Peters fault, he obviously took things way to far, and pushed against CBS way to hard.
    But the before Axanar the fan films were already turning into bigger and bigger productions with more and more big name Trek veterans both in front of, and behind the camera, and I do have to wonder if CBS might have at least drawn a line and said don't go any farther. Now I do think whatever they did to slow down the fan films probably wouldn't have gone as far as the guidelines we got did, so Peters is definitely respobsible for that.

Admiral2 and carlosp like this.
  12. Serveaux

13. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Is that the New Voyages set, or the Continues set? Any idea what shoot it might be? And with apologies, who is that on the right? I don't recognise him.

14. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I am confused. Axanar site has a blogpost about patches. It asks anyone who has not received the patches to do the following:
    What is the point in updating your address on Ares Digital if you have to email your new address anyway?

Blog post:
    https://axanarproductions.com/did-you-get-your-indiegogo-patches/

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Now you’re getting it! :techman:

I’m still technically waiting for the original Ares patch from 2014, that instead got double-tap resold at conventions. I’m also waiting for the “Cygnus” patch as a supposed “thank you” for my patience. Neither have arrived. Also still waiting for the Prelude BRD from 2014.

I have no illusions about ever seeing any of those things in my mailbox, even though all my contact info has been updated for months (since Ares 3.0 went online). I just like bitching about it cause what the hell else am I gonna do? :shrug:

Admiral2 likes this.
  16. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the underlying purpose of Ares Digital isn't to get you your rewards for money given long ago but to get more from you in the near future. I suspect you'll be informed of plenty of new opportunities to give more for the cause and that's the reason you have to jump through multiple hoops. But that's just conjecture on my part so add salt as needed.

17. carlosp

carlosp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The people doing the tipping are the contributors.

Admiral2 and dmac like this.
  18. carlosp

carlosp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The amount wasn’t the only real problem. It was that so much was raised with nothing produced. All those other big productions you cite were fundamentally different from Axanar because they actually produced films.

The other real problem was the multiple revenue streams set up by Axanar, the biggest of which, of course, was building out their own studio for three quarters of a million of Trek fans’ dollars fully intending to use it for Peters’ own (and others’) commercial productions.

19. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Yep, the attempt at creating a sustained profit center was huge.

FYI, I was just at my 40th high school reunion, and I got to explain AP etc. between the appetizers and the Electric Slide.

#worldscollide

DrCorby, Csalem, Admiral2 and 2 others like this.
  20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Is that actually so? Because I believe the air tram, travel pod and cargo bay stuff was shot after all the shipboard stuff, where Kirk’s arrival was shot in the first couple of days of production. Time to check those shots!