Cartoon names for celestial bodies

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Joey P - the official, Jan 19, 2020.

?

Do you GENERALLY support this proposal of mine?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Commodore Commodore

2. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The sad part is, they could easily double as pancake makers at IHOP. One blop of goo smashed into their foreheads then let it drop into the griddle and voila - pancake. Except McCoy, that'd be snotty...

:guffaw:

3. Joey P - the official

Joey P - the official Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Lol.

4. Joey P - the official

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  5. Trinity Gingerbread

Trinity Gingerbread Time is ticking away, tick, tick, ticking away. Premium Member

Christians claim a lot of nonsense there's no way a brown dwarf could orbit the sun without affecting the other planets.

6. Joey P - the official

Actually Timmy Turner is Barnard's Star. Most suitable choice for now.

7. Joey P - the official

I'm not a big fan of PBS Kids (though I can respect and approve of the Carmen Sandiego suggestions for large asteroids and Magic School Bus suggestions for other planetary-mass objects) and the shows there are not as notable as the ones on Nickelodeon so I don't really want celestial bodies to be named after that network's shows and characters (with the two exceptions).

Because I hate that show so much, naming an asteroid "Ruffruffman" will make me lose my faith in our entire universe.

Maybe other stars can have planets named after other cartoons (or, going back to them - mythological pantheons). For example, the planets orbiting around the Pistol Star (which won't live long anyway because the Pistol Star will undergo a hypernova and collapse into a black hole) may be named after the characters of Hey Arnold!, while the planets of a nearby star which I haven't proposed a name for in the above list may get their names from Hindu mythology. Norse mythology is already taken for some minor Saturnian moons.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  8. Captain pl1ngpl0ng

Captain pl1ngpl0ng Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9. Dryson

Dryson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think this thread is in the wrong forum.

10. Joey P - the official

Oh yes, oh yes.

Also, there is an asteroid named "Misterrogers" (after Mister Roger's Neighborhood, which I don't like), so if the IAU won't name an asteroid even after Butch Hartman then I will probably riot.

11. Joey P - the official

Names for planets around stars and their moons:
    • Sol: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Persephone "Telisto/Ghost Zone", "Arnold/10th Planet", "Caïna/11th Planet"(, Tyche "Yugopotamia"; ruled out)
      • Asteroids: 89958 Chipskylark (of the Apollo group), 69911 Denzelcrocker (unrelated interloper with 704 Interamnia), 32225 Vonstrangle (fragment of 5 Astraea), 32946 Juandissimo (fragment of 221 Eos), 86209 Chestermcbadbat(, 27497 Arnoldperlstein; fragment of 3 Juno)
      • Persephone's moons: Dionysus, Pariahdark, Klemper, Nightmerica, and Terminatra.
    • Alpha Centauri A: Planitia.
    • Alpha Centauri B: Kagutsuchi (ruled out).
    • Proxima Centauri: Burned, Jetix, Vita, and Medusa.
    • Timmy Turner (Barnard's Star): Bodach, Caoineag, Fuath, Glaistig, and Seonaidh.
    • Wolf 359: Observant.
    • Danny Phantom (nearby neutron star): Smetana.
      • Smetana's moons: Vysehrad, Prodananevesta, Vltava, Sarka, Českých, Tabor, and Blanik.
    • Cosmo and Wanda: Poof.
    • Sirius: Ectoplasma and Chauta.
    • Epsilon Eridani: Ægir and Oceanus.
    What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  12. Joey P - the official

Additionally, if Tyche is real but just farther away than 26,000 AU (WISE ruled out Tyche as defined by its proponents because it found nothing Jupiter-sized within 26,000 AU), then I think we should call it Yugopotamia instead (Tyche is taken by asteroid 258 Tyche).