Carmilla the series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Janeway’s Girl, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How? I'm pretty sure Laura's father might have noticed something off about his wife sooner or later.

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The body could have been possessed. I am wondering if the Dean is a disembodied entity? I doubt the mom business, though. Too small a universe. But in the novella, Laura's mom is a descendant of the Karnsteins, so I wonder if that will come out in this series in some fashion?

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

State authenticated marriage is not God authenticated marriage.

God authenticated marriage is pageantry and means nothing legally.

You still have to be authenticated by the state, after the god stuff put to rest.

(This maybe not be completely true if you live in a weird country.)

Depending which fictional universe you live...

1. The one true god (if god is real) who created the universe, is present in all religions, therefore all religious artefacts and totems are as equally offensive to Vampires.

2a. All totems (like the Star of David as an example) are a lens with which human faith is channelled and focussed by. Religion and god's approval and brand name don't make this stuff powerful, but (like Dumbo and his feather) the faith the user puts in the tchotchke is what turns human mental energy into an occult seeking deathray.

2b. If you don't have faith in the crusifix you are using to ward off vampires, then that crusifix has no gas in it's tank and cannot ward off any vampires. This can be a real drag. Although the presence of god hating vampires should be enough proof to validate any skeptic's faith in Christianity.

3. Silver is bad for Vampires (sometimes) becuase the Romans gave Judas 30 pieces of silver to betray Jesus. :) Does this mean that all silver is tainted, or that God doesn't like to be reminded about what assholes we were 2000 years ago?

4. Janeway’s Girl

1. I've never seen Dumbo.

2. I thought silver was for werewolves?

5. Gov Kodos

In kitchens, you know, like Silverwere Wolves?

6. Guy Gardener

Some rules say that vampirism is a virus afflicting a living body to behave abnormally, and not the reanimation of the dead.

1. If Vampires are alive with a virus and never "died" then they should still be able to make or and carry babies.

2a. A foetus growing inside a vampire would become infected by the immortality virus and stop ageing. Vampires who do not feed die or go into a coma? Inside a womb, a tiny foetus would have all the blood she wants but still no ability to get past the size of a peanut, or however so large she or he is once the virus makes her/it post human.

2aa. How many peanut foetuses can a vampires womb collect over the centuries until she has a John Hurt moment? (Morticia might need that explained to her.)

2b. A foetus inside a vampire gets immunities to vampirism, and therefore the pregnancy is normal, but it also means that that baby/person is immune and cannot turn into a vampire later in life, or ever.

7. Guy Gardener

Different rules for different universes.

In Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer, dude ran around with a silver axe.

Tru Blood had 7 years worth of silver being a pain.

Dumbo was a sad sack elephant with big ears. Some meangirls at the circus tried to tell him that if he used this magic feather they had, that he could fly. Later in the movie after losing the magic feather, Dumbo thought that Flight was not something that he could no longer do, so the meangirls (they were mice and probably boys) admitted that the feather was bullshit and that the power to fly was inside him all along.

:)

I'm not sure if I've seen Dumbo either.

All those stupid Disney Movies from the 1950s that replaced fairy tales that you're just supposed to have somehow seen as a child, which is not always possible if your parents are busy or drunk.

8. Janeway’s Girl

Now hold on, Guy. Give me chance. If I'm wrong, then feel free to correct me.

The War Doctor appeared after the Doctor had been through 11 faces. So that would mean...

Okay fine. I give. Today is just not my day for being smart.

Regarding Dumbo, I've seen the part where he is reunited with his mom.

9. Gov Kodos

I think he means 'Alien'.

10. Guy Gardener

What is considered to be the seminal John Hurt moment.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JehjqlzXwIQ[/yt]

(You literally said you hadn't seen this movie just an hour ago.)

11. Janeway’s Girl

I apologize in advance. Any Mods on here please don't be mad at me.

JESUS CHRIST, Guy!!! You could have warned me! Bad. Bad. Scary! AAAHHH! GROSS! AHHHH.

No. I'm not being funny. And yes I legitimately screamed in horror. Next time just explain rather than show.

12. Gov Kodos

Although, I do wonder about the compatibility issue. A vampire's body seems likely to feed off the foetus unless it has some hormone to release to prevent that. A purely human foetus doesn't seem likely to have such hormones, though I guess LaF might come up with something in the future. As for a human carrying a vampire foetus, that sounds like Alien, alright.

Yeah, 'Alien' is a bit much if you're not ready for it.

13. Janeway’s Girl

I wasn't. Oh God I really WASN'T!!

I need some time to recover. *Goes and calls a therapist*

14. Guy Gardener

1979 lost it's shit watching that movie.

15. Gov Kodos

As sidebar to not being ready for 'Alien', that is much of what Laura has ignored about Carmilla. Do you suppose that might come out while Carm and Laura watch the videos with old school Carmilla?

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

So is gay marriage legal in Austria these days? :)

As for vampires not being able to get married, the Brides of Dracula might disagree with that . . . . .

17. Janeway’s Girl

I don't think it is. Oh well. They can move to Canada. I'd be happy to play hostess to Laura and co.

18. Guy Gardener

Well, Dracula ran the country, so I guess it wouldn't have been a big dealio when he legalized polygamy in the 11th century.

Satanism is a church/religion that preforms/officiates marriage.

Lens faith lore would say that a true believer in Satanism, could repel vampires with his/her faith in Satan.

Vampires are antigod lore would associate Dracula and other vampires with Satanism and therefore the Church of Satan?

19. Janeway’s Girl

Wouldn't Satanists' welcome vampires instead of repel them?

Satan is the Devil. The Devil is evil. Vampires (until recently at least) are evil.

20. Gov Kodos

Vampire prejudice sucks!
    [​IMG]