Spoilers Captain Marvel - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.9%
  2. A

20.5%
  3. A-

18.9%
  4. B+

23.0%
  5. B

13.9%
  6. B-

4.9%
  7. C+

2.5%
  8. C

6.6%
  9. C-

2.5%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0.8%
  13. F

0.8%
  1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

He said it was originally going to be at the end of the first act of Endgame, not the end of the movie.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it helps, Aquaman was made by a different group of people, is only very lightly connected to JL, and is a very, very different type of movie.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with San Francisco Chronicle critic Mick LaSalle... the flick was only decent. I might even call it the MCU's worst movie, though it isn't actually bad; maybe a B-. I was impressed at how complex the story started out, and how the audience is thrown right into the deep end without any preparation, even for fans of the series, but the problem is that Carol never really coheres as a character until much later on, and is short on motivation and personality the whole way through. IMO, this is a better movie than Wonder Woman, and I'm sure Brie Larson can act circles around Gal Gadot, but Gadot gave a much more lively and compelling performance in her flick. Sam Jackson and Ben Mendehlson end up stealing the show. (The de-aging on Jackson and Clark Gregg was X-Men: The Last Stand-level awful in their first scene, but it got better, maybe because I got used to it, and maybe because they pretty much kept out of daylight from then on - as Bob says, this is a very dimly lit flick, as visually dark as Solo, if not more.)

As an MCU fan and Wonder Woman skeptic, I'd hoped this movie would hit it out of the park, but though I do again think it's a bit better, it's certainly no home run.

Really solid in-depth spoiler discussion:

Regarding gender issues, and the BS sexist trolling regarding all that, my only eyebrow-raising moment was when Nat started ordering her fellow Avengers around. ("Let me know as soon as we get a signal.") Since when do the likes of Cap and Banner report to her?!

4. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since she ordered herself into Winter Soldier’s plot, and made Banner join the Avengers in the first place.

Woman can even order around the actual Hulk.

Anwar, The Nth Doctor and Ovation like this.
  5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Nat has led the Avengers in the comics as well. Besides, with Tony gone, do the movie Avengers even have an actual leader at this point? She's probably the one that has her head the most together at this point.

6. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I loved it. Gave an A+ for Goose.

nightwind1 likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Captain America is still not an active Avenger, then she would be the logical next choice.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I have no doubt that Steve will be in action Avenger, I just don't know if his head will be into leadership. He's seemed... distracted in the trailers so far. And who could blame him?

9. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Just finished watching it. Solid A in my opinion. I was engaged throughout, characters were all interesting, fights weren't overkill and the humor didn't distract like it has in other flicks. I cannot wait to see her again in Avengers: Endgame.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Natasha was KGB in the 80s.

If we get to see a flash back to then, here's a weird idea... Put Putin in there.

Although does Marvel make Vlad Russian James Bond, or Russian Maxwell Smart?

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think anyone is an active Avenger. Remember, after the events of Civil War, Black Widow was not one of the Avengers, but operating as part of an independent trio with Cap and the Falcon. Its the reason Stark tells Banner that the Avengers broke up (in IW). Right now, they're like an issue of Marvel Team-Up--just various characters working together.

I suspect the idea of a formal team will be the coda of Endgame, or if the PTB wanted to be daring, leave it open-ended, as if things are not neatly wrapped up post Thanos, and they would not be as long as Ross is still around waving the Accords at everyone and making threats.

As for who will be the next leader of a reformed Avengers? It would probably be BW, as she has seniority.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um, in the MCU Natasha was born in 1984. (Thus she was 5 - 7 years old when the U.S.S.R and KGB as it was under the U.S.S.R. was no more.) Just saying. ;)

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I loved this one. I've loved a lot of them, and this one stands up to the rest. Well-crafted film, no plot holes (one question though: why are there only two white Kree? and that's more of a worldbuilding oddity than a plot hole), and I loved how we start the movie off just as knowledgeable as Danvers and get to learn her backstory along with her.

It did have a Marvel-typical moment of feeling like the fighting was dragging on just a bit too long but quickly recovered; we haven't seen a superhero yet do as much damage as Carol did to that Kree ship. Damn. No wonder Ronan noped the fuck out of there.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

"Noped the fuck out of there."

I'm so stealing that. :lol:

Ovation likes this.
  15. Awesome Possum

In the comics there are blue and pink skinned Kree, I think you can see some more in the scene where theyre first talking about the Supreme Intelligence. I think Agents of SHIELD mentioned it when they brought in the Kree.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

According to The Avengers, she started at about that age.

But yeah, her comment in TWS about going straight from the KGB to SHIELD/HYDRA doesn’t make much sense.

17. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Snyder's scripts are no more lousy than the dated & cringeworthy parts of Superman: The Movie, SuperFriends, Batman '66. Face facts; you and a ton of other people want the Donnerverse to come back, especially with regards to Superman and company. But it isn't coming back, it can't come back, and it shouldn't come back to suit you or anybody else. And the scripts are almost the same as current DC Comics stories to boot.

As for the Justice League movie, I'll argue that it's the same as the recent animated series in how the characters act with one another (which, unlike SuperFriends, wasn't always positive; like any other group/family, there'll be pissyness, anger, and arguments on how to fight evil.) Also, didn't the Avengers act the same way in the first two movies they were in? I'm pretty sure they did.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  18. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. And the reception to Superman Returns showed how very not true that was.

BvS script is shit, because it managed the amazing feat of making me want Batman (arguably the protagonist in the theatrical cut) to die in his very first outing. And also made me not really give a shit that Superman did.

And I didn’t mind MOS. So BvS actually managed to take away my goodwill towards the character. Not because he necessarily does anything terrible, but because he feels like a guest star in his own movie.

It also absolute fizzers of villains. Lex is always irritating, it never rings true that anyone tolerates him, let alone is intimidated by him, his plan is awful (and relies on the movie forgetting Superman has been established to have x- ray vision in this verse,) whilst Doomsday is just...pixels. In a series with a lot of villains that have ended up looking like something out of Warcraft circa 2003 (but with less colour,) the Big D was far and away the worst.

Which is all the stranger, because MoS had previously done a fair job with Zod and Faora. I wanted to see more of a henchmen, than I did Lex.

Actually, the transformation of Zod to Doomsday is pretty much a metaphors for how I view the two movies. We went from a character that was pretty well realised despite its flaws, and even his harshest critics would concede had moments of genuinely great execution...to an empty corpse that does what should be ‘serious’ shit, yet never manages to have any actual weight.

The only Marvel movies that come close to the levels of ‘I don’t give a shit’ and ‘urrrrrgh’ that BvS inspired, were are Iron Man 2 and Avengers 2 respectively. But at least they had the mercy to not be three hours long.

Doc Mugatu likes this.
  19. Awesome Possum

So Carol and Maria, I'm shipping it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

A lot of people still say KGB when they're referring to the modern Russian intelligence agency, especially in movies and TV shows. Most viewers wouldn't know what the FSB (the modern agency's actual acronym) is, but they know exactly what you're talking about if they hear KGB.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.