Spoilers Captain Marvel - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.9%
  2. A

20.5%
  3. A-

18.9%
  4. B+

23.0%
  5. B

13.9%
  6. B-

4.9%
  7. C+

2.5%
  8. C

6.6%
  9. C-

2.5%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0.8%
  13. F

0.8%
  1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I never bothered to think it through before, but yeah, weirdly that "Kree girl" being Carol does kind a fit since why would literally any other "Kree" be anywhere near the Nova records prior to the peace treaty with Zandar? Also, I can easily see Carol trying to rip Peter's thorax out just from talking to him for 2 mins.

The Nth Doctor and Khan2012 like this.
  2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Pierce’s assessment may need to be taken with a grain of salt considering who he really was, and though Fury has certainly gained a darker edge he’s still a very congenial fellow as shown in his interactions with the Avengers throughout the films, like in IRON MAN 2.

There’s also 12 to 15 years in between CAPTAIN MARVEL and IRON MAN, which I wouldn’t brush off as “overnight”, especially when events like 9/11 took place, which we’ve seen change people’s perspective in ways both incremental and drastic.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We still don't even know for sure if The Snap will have even happened once Endgame is over, there've been rumors practically since production started that it will involve time travel.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

How changed was Steve Rogers in his first movie?

5. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Steve started out as a "little man" who was bullied and hated it. He was prepared to dedicate his life to fighting bullies.

Post treatment, Steve became an amplified version of what he had always been. I would certainly describe his character progression as linear, but that doesn't make it a bad thing, it makes it true to life.

By the end of the movie, he has the strength and power to be whatever he wants. He has the girl of his dreams. He sacrifices it all not because he needs to prove himself or build his self-esteem. He sacrifices himself because it is the right thing to do. He is not motivated by overcompensating for growing up as a weak asthmatic. He is motivated by knowing how many people will die if he doesn't do what is necessary.

His survival is not something he expected, it was a complete accident. He has lost everything and everyone he cared about, but still carries the same sense of responsibility to the greater good. This isn't what was driving him at the start of the movie.

6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was enjoyable if not stellar. I think it needed a bit more humour overall. Brie is an appealing lead, although I'm ambivalent about her being so powerful. I think that makes characters less interesting but we'll see. There is certainly plenty of room to explore her as a character .

I liked the nod to real world refugee crises and I loved the ordinariness of Fury's eye injury. Genius. The double act with Fury worked well overall.

I was confused by the cosmic cube appearance in the final scene since this means it has been in two places at once since the first Avengers movie?

7. McDuck

McDuck Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I wanted to see more Hala. Earth is boring.

8. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the move, it was cosmic in all aspects. I'm guessing with Brie's powers she'll be a deciding factor in the next Avengers movie. Samuel L. Jackson and Brie Larsen's chemistry was the highlight of the movie and I was amazed at how good the de-aging cg looked.

Marsden and Shaka Zulu like this.
  9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

No, the Tesseract was retrieved by Howard Stark after WWII and then at some point decades later, he presumably lent it to Project Pegasus for Mar-Vell's use. It stayed in her space lab until Fury retrieved it in 1995, where it remained in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s possession until Loki stole it.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? The person I went with also though, like me, it had a lot of humor. Subjective, I guess.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They probably could have made it a bit clearer that the post credits scene with Goose spitting out the Tesseract had jumped back in time to right after the main part of the movie. My mom thought it was after the Endgame scene, and it was a bit jarring to go back and forth in time like that.

14. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, the scene only makes sense if it's set earlier in the timeline. I suppose that must be the case.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Shaka Zulu and Turtletrekker like this.
  18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

19. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shaka Zulu and Turtletrekker like this.