Building the Eaglemoss Enterprise-D partwork

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Leathco, May 9, 2021.

1. brayman1701

brayman1701 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I got my catch up through last week that I've been waiting for since november. So I've got a fair bit to do now.

Have you guys seen that a lot of people on the facebook groups are doing their own electronics for the lighting now ?.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I’m following the Eaglemoss instructions strictly, I think that it is important to do this to prevent any problems further down the line!

enjoy catching up! I have new parts on the way at the moment too. :bolian:

3. brayman1701

Yeah im going to stick to do it the stock way for now as well and maybe in the future I will modify it.

4. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

I'm still waiting on kit 34 nearly three months later. Pretty annoyed since it's putting a delay on actually getting the top half of the saucer finished.

5. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Question: Are there any guides/videos that show the best (and easiest) way to prevent the light bleed-through on what are supposed to be dark windows?

6. Timofnine

I didn’t follow a tutorial, I just got some black insulation tape and cut it to the size of the black unlit windows. I also put insulation tape along each hull panel join. It’s worked great I’ll take a picture next time I do this…

Richard S. Ta and mindx2 like this.
  7. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

I'm also sticking with stock for now. I did see the pic of the person who did the LED light strip and it looked pretty good, but for now I am just gonna run stock.

8. brayman1701

I bought some black glue to stick the windows in

9. Timofnine

I just think that any modifications may void any kind of potential support further down the line in the case of there being construction issues with parts of the model. Eaglemoss could easily say "Sorry, it's your own fault, you did not follow our instructions and therefore any support/replacements can not be sent out to you as you have voided our terms and conditions".

10. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, that's exactly what they'll say. Any modifications are entirely at your own risk!

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Actually, they may be more forthcoming than you think. I messed up one of the pull-handles for one of the gull-wing doors on my BTTF DeLorean build. Because I screwed it up and admitted as such (I'd like to think I'm a fairly honest fellow) I was fully prepared to pay for a new part set. They said, "No problem, we'll send one out to you free of charge". No extra shipping costs, nothing.

I've had my share of problems with Eaglemoss customer support, without a doubt (and my adventures with them have been well-documented in the main Eaglemoss Model thread across many years), but when it comes to replacing parts, regardless if they were broken in shipping or from my own stupidity, they have always come through. Five stars on that front from me.

danellis and Tomalak like this.
  12. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but did you mess it up following their instructions, or doing your own modifications?

They'll usually factor in the odd spare, but if you've blown out the electronics using a bunch of third party lighting strips they might be less helpful.

13. 137th Gebirg

True. What I did was superglue the belt loop in place, but did it backwards, effectively ruining the part. It involved replacing only one issue. I suppose if some mod led to a cascading burn-out failure of the entire electrical system, then yeah, they probably wouldn’t be quite has helpful. :lol:

Tomalak likes this.
  14. Leathco

Got issue 11 assembled last night. Lots of light leaks on the completed neck in the middle where the two sides join, gonna see if I can do anything about that.

Also a quick question for anyone in this thread who got the special art print: does it come with a small magazine or is it just the print? I got the box today and it just had the print and a small postcard size paper. I thought it came with a biography about the artist?

15. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

The art print I got (although I got mine around issue 3, don't know if that's the same one) had not further items, certainly not a magazine.

My question though for everybody: have you received the second shuttlecraft set yet (the one including the Captain's yacht and the Hawking from Generations)? If so, did you also have damage on the nacelle stuts of the Hawking?

16. Timofnine

The print does not come with a magazine, though I was led to believe that it was an actual signed print. Ah well, I still like it and it looks good on my wall.

My Hawking came in perfect condition, however the captains yacht had both of its landing legs snapped off. I personally believe that this damage was done at the packing stage deliberately… the package and box was pristine and sealed. I think that this is a common problem with shuttle set 2. I was sent out a replacement model after showing them photographs of the damage. Maybe a disgruntled factory worker?

17. 137th Gebirg

Deliberately? That sucks. :(

18. Leathco

Thanks for the heads up guys. Man, 45 seems like a LOT than for what it is, and I thought it was high before. Keeping it since I am gonna be a completionist for this project, but a lil sore from that one lol! Was nice seeing the neck come together, even tho I have a lot of light bleed on the center seam.

19. brayman1701

I finished up to parts pack 10 this weekend. So I'm hoping to get packs 10 and 11 done tonight if I get time.

Question for you guys, did you find the shuttle bay door that screws into the bridge module to be loose? I couldn't get it really tight no matter how much I tightened the screws.

20. Timofnine

My shuttle bay door is not loose? No gaps or light leaks from it either…