BREAKING: Paramount Sets Top Secret Star Trek Movie For Summer 2023; To Be Produced By J.J. Abrams

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PixelMagic, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is still no need to recast in my opinion.

saddestmoon and Richard S. Ta like this.
  2. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell, I say we go all in and get a Captain Pike Prime/ Kelvin Pike/Kirk Prime/Kelvin Kirk/Picard/Sisko/Janeway/Archer/Decker/Robau/April/Sulu/Riker/La Forge/Lorca/Saru/Burnham/Jellico/Freeman/Gomez/Chakotay/Kim/Crusher fighting not only the mirror versions of themselves, but also:

Khan/John Harrison/Nero/Balthazar Eddison/Annorax/Gul Dukat/Weyoun/Female Founder/Pressman/Dougherty/Ru'afo/Borg Queen/Soran/Lursa/B'Etor/Sela/Kor/Kang/Koloth/Chang/Kruge/V'Ger/Whale Probe/Sybok/Tomalak

3. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to see the Kelvin cast or just something else entirely. I don't think there's much sense in recasting a recast, or going halfway and recasting some folks but not others.

Most of all, I just really hope they get the band back together. A 4th Kelvin movie is second on my ultimate Star Trek wishlist (behind a remaster for Voyager and DS9).

Ghel likes this.
  4. Falconer

Falconer Commander Red Shirt

Consider that Star Wars is kind of hiatus from movies for now, and indeed, the prospect of another Daisy Ridley or Alden Ehrenreich Star Wars movie would make me feel something between numb and grumpy. Whereas the prospect of another Chris Pine Star Trek movie (or trilogy!) seems almost too good to be true right now.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    flandry84 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  5. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

/\Between numb and grumpy.
    Title for my autobiography.Thanks.

Commander Troi and Richard S. Ta like this.
  6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

that did not work so well, last time.

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

If they can't get the cast there won't be a film. They aren't going to recast again, so it'll be back to the drawing board.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well although his pitch was unsuccessful, even Quentin Tarantino recognised the recast Kirk, Spock etc as the gang he'd continue with on the big screen.

Paramount will undoubtedly want the name recognition, but avoid yet another round of TOS replacements, especially since the TV/streaming universe is already partway through doing so.

Personally I would write a scenario where the Kelvin timeline is shown in a worsening state due to the destruction of Vulcan. And this is likened to the disastrous alternate reality seen in a Next Generation episode "Yesterday's Enterprise". War with the Romulans over resettled Vulcans. A series of deteriorating events, all fallen out from Nero's actions in the 2009 film.

By the closing moments of the new film, the damage is undone and we're back to a unified Star Trek Universe again, set somewhere in the massive gap between The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan... still Pine, Quinto et all running around but in monster maroons aboard the original look movie-refit Enterprise. Kelvin designs all way until that kick of nostalgia right at the end. Sort of the next level to go to, beyond the emotional sight of the photo left by old Spock.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Richard S. Ta and Tomalak like this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whereas I'd prefer the Kelvinverse to be the happier ending when it's all said and done. I think that was the intent with one of Bob Orci's pitches, where Shatner and Nimoy were to play old versions of Pine and Quinto's Kirk and Spock in some kind of temporal weirdness. In Prime, Kirk died away from Spock, but in Kelvin they live happily ever after.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, one thing about Trek 2009 I love is that when Spock Prime sees Kirk in the cave he displays emotions at seeing his friend again. From Spock Prime's perspective he hasn't seen Jim Kirk in 94 years.

11. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the Hemsworth film supposed to be about going back in time and teaming up George and Jim Kirk to defeat Nero before the timeline split, therefore erasing the whole Kelvin timeline or something?

One thing they could do, if this is the last Kelvin film, is a kind of reverse Yesterday's Enterprise. Pine in the Garrett role, going out in a blaze of glory to save the future.

You could easily introduce a recast TNG crew for either future movies or a Paramount+ show.

12. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean, it worked out fine for the actors and their agents, who have continued to enjoy hugely successful careers.

I just hope Paramount is committed to paying through the nose for this cast. The handling of the situation suggests as much. As long as Paramount has realized they need the cast more than the cast needs them and budgeted accordingly, we might actually get this movie!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  13. flandry84

And maybe they can make a Trek movie where they don’t destroy an Enterprise.

14. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

That was the rumour, but Orci said Kirk Prime was meant to me 'restored'. Old nuKirk and Spock would have made 10x more sense, plus if you think of spin-off comics for example you could revisit them. Realised by @gazomg here's how I visualised that scene. Uniforms from Jeremy Grunloh's 'Star Trek Reborn' project

[​IMG]

But forgetting recasts and reboots etc this would have been a fine moment for Shatner and Nimoy as these two characters one last time, like you said a contrast to something like their famous 'Wrath of Khan' scene

I guess I should stop thinking about this so much. It never happened, it never will (unless they do something wth Shatner)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    publiusr and Richard S. Ta like this.
  15. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the most tired criticism. There are 13 Star Trek movies. A version of the Enterprise is destroyed in 3. That leaves 10 MOVIES where the Enterprise is not destroyed. Damaged does not equal destroyed.

That's like saying Spider-Man gets killed every movie because he gets punched. Stop it.

16. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Mathematically, it's also like saying that Gwen Stacy is the love interest in every Spider-Man movie.

saddestmoon likes this.
  17. flandry84

Or three out of ten people love cliches...:rolleyes:

18. fireproof78

I love clichés. Star Trek is full of them. I love Star Trek.

19. flandry84

Must be why the movie franchise is in such good health then.

20. fireproof78

Right...because destruction of the Enterprise is what caused the franchise to languish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.