Spoilers Blade Runner 2049 - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Oct 6, 2017.

?

Grade the Movie

1. A+

30.9%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

17.6%
  4. B+

11.8%
  5. B

11.8%
  6. B-

1.5%
  7. C+

1.5%
  8. C

1.5%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Just got back home and really need to go to bed now, so in short: I really, really liked it. The death of holo-wife and CG-Sean Young were obvious but still gut punches for me, and the end was fittingly sad.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The Screencrush article they source seems to think it'll be "little to none," as no one involved is a fan of deleted scenes, which is a shame.

5. The Nth Doctor

A pity but unsurprising. The only times Ridley Scott has utilized additional footage in any form is when there was studio meddling (Blade Runner, Kingdom of Heaven) and Denis Villeneuve has always struck me as a very precise director, much in the same way as Stanley Kubrick.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Scott also released a longer cut of Gladiator, though he is careful to point out in the intro on disc that he does NOT consider it a “director’s cut”, unlike those other two titles.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

As well as those two, just looking at my shelf the following Ridley flicks have alternate cuts or deleted scene included:

Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Alien, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator, Exodus, Hannibal, Legend, American Gangster, Robin Hood, and The Martian.

8. The Nth Doctor

That's true, I did think of Gladiator after I made that post, although I knew he didn't consider it the director's cut (but that's the version I always watch anyways).

Ah, I stand corrected on all of those. Aside from The Martian and Gladiator, I don't own any of those on DVD and I haven't opened my copy of The Martian yet.

Tosk likes this.
  9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I still don't understand the "it's quite long" thing. It's 16 minutes longer than Captain America: Civil War (147mins vs 163mins)

You know, that comic-book movie "for kids", only the 14th movie on the all-time box office list. And it's two minutes longer than Avatar, another "family" movie. Which as I recall also did pretty well. So if kids can sit through those then Jesus Christ can't adults in 2017 not sit through this without whining and moaning?

Steve Roby likes this.
  10. The Nth Doctor

Apparently not. I don't think it's long at all, but then I love films with (earned) long running times.

I swear films like Lawrence of Arabia would be considered disasters in this day and age. :rolleyes:

Ovation likes this.
  11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the pacing of this is a lot more ponderous than the breakneck pace of most blockbusters these days and that is more of a factor in getting general audiences to sit still through it.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think many, possibly most, blockbusters now are too long, even those I’ve enjoyed. But I wouldn’t cut a second from this film.

13. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When people say it was long, they generally just mean it dragged and they were bored. Some half hour sitcoms feel long.

It's not about comparing run times to other movies. Otherwise Titanic wouldn't be the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time if "it was long" was only a reference to run time.

14. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lawrence of Arabia isn't boring. Big difference.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very arguable point.

jaime and M'rk son of Mogh like this.
  16. The Nth Doctor

You're right. They're both excellent films. ;)

Ovation likes this.
  17. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I'm not getting why older audiences haven't supported this film more. I do understand younger audiences not liking the run time or the pacing. I'm 49 and have shown so-called "film fans" half my age such classics as Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia and been told they were dull films. People brought up in the age of the "quick-cut" just don't seem to emotionally invest in films like those of us brought up when such films were common. Still, Blade Runner 2049's target audience is clearly older people who saw and liked the first film and ARE capable of enjoying a film that unfolds at such a pace. So, what happened?

18. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Any interesting nuggets you can share from Mr. Hauer?

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked this film. It's one of those films I could spend all day watching. I can understand why it has not been a success though. It's not a film that general audiences are going to like. It's a big budget cinephile's film. It's not your Trek 09 or Force Awakens. It's a sequel that actually is it's own thing.

There aren't enough of us?

20. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

We don't go to a lot of movies.

jaime and Captaindemotion like this.