Big Finish Does Time War...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Oct 5, 2015.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Romana's not English so it doesn't really matter...

(She's very enthusiastic about the job too; certainly the only person who made their own costume for publicity photos.)

2. werdegast

werdegast Lieutenant Red Shirt

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I am excited. Love me some audio dramas.

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel exactly the same way. I didn't even know there was one Star Trek audio out there. I cherish my Federation novel still.

Huh. I guess you both have a point.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Have you ever heard a Time Lord speak with an American accent? (Eric Roberts' Master doesn't really count, I think, since the Master took over the body of an American paramedic.)

There are actually three original Captain Sulu audiobooks, Transformations, Cacophony, and Envoy. They're in a semi-dramatized format, presented as collections of log entries and dictated letters and journals by George Takei as Sulu and various other guest actors, but with no actual interaction between actors. There are also audiobook versions of various Trek novels, usually abridged.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Are the audio dramas just the spoken dialogue, or is there also narrative?

I think that might be difference between one liking or not liking them.

I too used to love reading the DW books. I've never listened to any of the audio stuff, so I don't know how much I would like BF.

A book has the "dialogue" plus what would be narrative or visuals (description of the location, etc.), so that would help my imagination as far as what's happening. Tolkien always did an excellent job of making you "see" Middle Earth.

7. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I listened to the audios of the Eighth Doctor simply because I wanted him to have a couple of 'seasons'. Him having just one adventure just didn't seem right. ;)

I wasn't interested in much beyond that but this sounds interesting.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Well this is fantastic news. Not a big audio fan but 'Night of the Doctor' was what got me interested in his audio adventures. I listened to some 'Blake's 7' stuff too. I guess what appeals to me is that it's more closely linked to the series with the actual actors playing the roles which adds a certain sense of continuity.

With the 8th Doctor, War Doctor and River Song all showing up on audio it's really making me want to dive even deeper into it.

9. Emperor-Tiberius

Most of Big Finish's Doctor Who is full-cast audio plays, with narrative and the whole thing. Its basically audio episodes, really - 5 through 8 in the Main Range follow the traditional four-episode structure, with Eight having his own series of single disc episodes. The Fourth Doctor has his own series too, and its two-parters.

The difference is the dialogue between the characters can be a touch more descriptive, as it is audio, and not visual after all. But its not audiobook style.

There are, however, the Companion Chronicles, which are told in third person mode, with a companion usually describing an adventure he or she had with one of the first three Doctors in past tense, with her saying said story after the fact. But thats the only instance that I know of of third person, audiobook-style narration (that, and the celebratory Destiny of the Doctor series).

10. Emperor-Tiberius

Have you listened to Chimes of Midnight? Thats his best audio, I think.

11. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful news! He'll get a fair crack of the whip at last and I'm sure I won't mind him HALF so much if I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT THE GODAWFUL BEARD.

Gods, I hope the Tennant rumours are still true though and someone didn't just leap to conclusions about WHICH New Who Doctor would be returning...

12. stardream

Yes! I agree 100%.

I also listened to the 'audio' adventures of the 11th Doctor. Those are the same as Big Finish...more like audio novels.

13. Emperor-Tiberius

You mean Destiny of the Doctor?

And really, the Eighth Doctor's at his best with the New Adventures of the Eighth Doctor. Lucie Miller's no Charley Pollard, but she's nearly as good.

14. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'd be willing to forgive the Doctor not recognizing Professor Yana's face for the pure joy of hearing Hurt and Jacobi facing off in Doctor Who.

15. stardream

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except the show already established that the Master ran away before the Time War went to hell, while from the sounds of Night of the Doctor the war going to hell is what lead to 8 choosing to become the War Doctor.

So the chnaces of them running into each other are kind of slim.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Not a great example for me - I've always disliked Six! Sorry! I mean, I know you're a fan and many people rave about Colin's take on him for BF, buT I've just no interest in seeing or hearing more of that incarnation.

I used to read a lot of Star Trek books but found it too expensive after a while and I got put off by the increasing continuity-heavy relationship between the the books. Again, I know some people like that but I found it too hard to keep track of the state of the federation post-DS9 and to remember who new book-only characters were.

I guess I'm just not a completist any more, mainly for reasons of time. I've 2 kids, a busy job with no fixed hours and I have other hobbies like reading, music, playing the guitar or the gym. So I just about get time to watch various TV programmes on TV or catch some films at the cinema. There's just too much non-TV Who out there to catch up on. I suppose I could listen to CDs in the car but I'd sooner listen to music, TBH.

The visual thing would be important for me too. I like how a good writer can make you visualise the whole scene. But I like it to be narrative, not dialogue. I meant to quote Emperor Tiberius' post where he said about the dialogue being descriptive because it's an audio drama. I think that would take me out of it, TBH. I'm not a fan of expository dialogue.

Like I say, that's not to take away from anyone else's enjoyment of audio dramas in general or BF in particular. I think it's great that they're out there and it's great that they can get actors of the calibre of Hurt. It's just not for me.

18. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think that's the implication. Yes, "The Night of the Doctor" saw the Sisterhood of Karn warning the Doctor, who'd been a conscientious objector, that the war threatened all reality, but McGann then regenerated into a young Hurt. By the final days of the war - when the Skaro Degradations and the Could-Have-Been-King made their appearances and it "turned into hell" - he'd grown old and presumably been fighting for hundreds of years, so there's a long time between "The Night..." and the end of the war for the Master to battle (either with or against) the Doctor before running.

It would make the most sense for it to be Alex MacQueen though, given that the Tenth Doctor not recognising Professor Yana was such a huge deal.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I received the second box set, Infernal Devices, at work today.

John Hurt was clearly born to be a Doctor, as you'd think he'd been playing the Doctor for years, not just a few hours.