Big Brother 19

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Danny99, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Oh, this isn't going to end well. And Jason really, really, REALLY needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut. I don't blame Alex for being upset with him.

Tell me: did I really see Kevin brush his teeth, use his toothbrush to smooth back his hair, and then stick the toothbrush back in his mouth and continue brushing his teeth? :eek:

YUCK!!!

2. Timewalker

Well, that went almost as expected (not unhappy at all to see Matt gone, although would have preferred the clown-woman to be evicted).

So much for Kevin swearing on his children. What a liar. But of course he knows that if the others know he took the $25,000, they'd kick him out next, since he's already got enough money to compensate for spending all this time in the BB house.

WTF was Julie wearing? It looked like somebody decided to combine the lower sleeves from a grey wedding dress with a pink sweat shirt. She should have at least worn grey pants or a grey skirt to make it not as weird.

I honestly think that unless something catastrophic happens, Paul is going to win. So I'm curious: If Kevin hadn't taken the money and Paul had not entered the game (assuming Big Brother didn't have some other Plan B to get him into the game, since they made it really obvious that they wanted to bring him back), who do you think would have become the power player(s)?

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

The only thing that can de-rail Paul's path to victory is if they all get together in jury and compare notes. Even then, he has played every single one of them.

4. Timewalker

In the end, most juries respect good gameplay, provided the finalists own their deeds. Appeals to emotion rarely work on juries; a solid list of "this is what I did, this is why I did it" and owning up to any lies or egregious dirty tricks they pulled is what usually works - unless the jury decides to make it personal and emotional.

So far the three jurors seem very bitter, although at this point they don't have enough people to compare notes with to see how Paul masterminded eviction after eviction and successfully turned the couples against each other. They also don't know that Paul's presence in the house is due to Kevin taking the $25,000.

When they find that out, they'll probably be ticked at Kevin, since keeping Cameron in the game would obviously have resulted in some different evictions.

5. Danny99

If Cameron had been in the game instead of Paul, I'd think we'd be talking about Jess or Cody winning this game and their path to jury.

6. Timewalker

I think you're right. So thank goodness for Paul, because the thought of either of those two sociopaths winning just makes me queasy.

I get the impression that Jessica's response to a "good morning" would be "Shut up."

Cody would just pull out a toothbrush and brush his teeth at them and stare at them with his dead eyes.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure Cody would have won. He would have had a stronger run but only one week of his side not controlling HoH would have sent him packing. He would have been like Jessie. But his inner circle probably would have done much better.

8. Danny99

He probably would've made it a little deeper into jury, but he would've been a target every week. Eventually, they would've ganged up and taken him down.

I give Paul a lot of credit though. He may have gotten three weeks of safety, but has still managed to stay off the block this entire time and has corralled this entire group into taking him to the end. Even he seems shocked at how well he has managed to play them.

9. JirinPanthosa

I give Paul great credit for how well he's played, but also to be fair, he had the inside track.

It's Stephenie syndrome. When there's only one (Or a tiny amount) of veterans in one of these games, everybody's recognition of them from the TV makes them instinctively feel comfortable around them and trust them more. So, not to take anything away from Paul for playing a great game, because you need to actually play well to benefit from Stephenie syndrome, but the amount of luck you need to complement that gameplay goes way down. Your words carry just a little more persuasion than if you played the same way and nobody recognized you.

10. Timewalker

Paul has been fortunate not to have awful people like Paulie there, or the several others who were so awful in his first season. Cody, Jessica, and Dominique were bad enough.

And he's not only playing a much better social game (friendly with everyone - those who would let him, that is - but not too friendly), he's also playing a much more logical game. He's being more strategic, without the totally over-the-top behavior (at least going by what we see on the TV episodes).

This season has been an anomaly in another way: Allowing an injured player to remain. If Christmas hadn't had the broken foot and could have competed in all the competitions she missed out on, she could definitely have won an HoH or two for herself, and I predict that the current batch of people still there would have been a bit different.

11. JirinPanthosa

If Christmas hadn't broken her foot though she'd have been one of the biggest targets the whole game.

12. Timewalker

True. But she would also have had the wherewithal to win more competitions.

I don't know how close to the end she can realistically get. The final competition always includes a grueling physical component, and there's no way she would possibly be cleared to take part in it.

But just in case something bizarre happens and it's her vs. Paul at the end, could you honestly see Cody, et. al giving her pity votes for the money over Paul, who did compete in every competition he was supposed to?

13. JirinPanthosa

Christmas will have trouble getting to the end just because everybody will be afraid to be against her in the jury. But she also has a buffer that Josh will probably never go against her being his surrogate mommy and all. Only a few competitions would have to go her way.

14. Timewalker

At this point I don't blame Paul for being croggled that his plans have (mostly) worked out so well this season. At least Kevin was able to make his throwing the race look real. The rest of them might as well have just stood up and said, "I quit."

Gotta ask, though: How much of that HoH was edited, since we didn't see it live, like the others? They don't normally have so many non-GO words at the beginning for this particular competition, do they?

My prediction for Thursday's double eviction: Jason (unless he wins the veto) and Kevin, or possibly Raven. Maybe Josh, but as someone mentioned awhile ago, by this point everyone is probably considering Josh to be the one they'd want to be with at the end since nobody could possibly justify voting for him to win.

Raven is so clueless... she really thinks she's going to the final two with Paul? He thinks she's a pathological lying twit.

Last comment: Kevin, get a haircut. You're my age (give or take a few years). Stop trying to look like a teenager; it's not working.

15. JirinPanthosa

Hey, if that's how he wants to look, no reason to worry about cultural standards of age appropriateness.

Given the show's tendency to just trod out the standard comps, I'm guessing the veto comp will involve comic book covers?

If Cody's comic isn't 'Stone Face' I will be severely disappointed.

16. Timewalker

I'm not worried. I'm just airing my opinion that he looks ridiculous.

I'm not familiar with most comic book characters. Is that a real one, or just one that would fit Cody?

17. JirinPanthosa

I'm referring to the perennial veto competitions where you have to hang on a rope across a window and replicate the organization of comic books on a shelf, and the comic books are all in-jokes based on the houseguests. Cody's should be 'Stone Face'. :)

18. Timewalker

Okay. I didn't know if they were based on any actual comic book characters.

Agreed that this would be a good name for Cody. And he should be wielding a toothbrush as a weapon.

19. JirinPanthosa

Oh, they aren't based on real comic book characters, just the style.

How is JOSH the first one to figure out Paul is playing everyone?

20. Timewalker

Maybe Josh has occasional flashes of not being stupid? Just flashes, mind you, since Paul correctly pointed out that he's the one who has been carrying Josh forward each week. It was rude of him to walk out on Christmas while she was talking to him. At this point they all need to watch their body language and tones of voice and other non-verbal cues very carefully. It won't take more than a twitch or an eyeroll at the wrong time to get someone thinking that the person they're talking to isn't being truthful.

And what's with Raven doing those silly high kicks? That girl that James was with last season did that, too... it's like having a red-haired clown version of her back for another season.