"Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 4, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I agree. It looks fine, but not outstanding; and there's nothing in the content that especially interests me.

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q706SDHrU1M

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^
    Thanks that worked. On two different servers, home & work, I'm still not seeing the embedded piece above. Weird.

I can appreciate them going for a different stylistic approach with this. It does remind me more of a video game, not to unlike early Transformers Beast Wars did in the 90's or the Prime show now. Both of which I enjoyed. I think it does look good.
    Of all DC characters I'm behind on Batman so Pyg and Toad I really have minimal exposure to, have they shown up in nu52? I've only seen the pre-52 appearances. Is that car Toad driving in the books? It looks ripped straight from the Disney themepark ride!! :lol:

Since I don't have cable I won't likely see full episodes for some time so YouTube clips will hopefully be plentiful.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Professor Pyg and Toad were villains created by Grant Morrison during his "Batman and Robin" run when Dick Grayson was Batman and with Damian as Robin. This will be their second animated appearance, their first was a brief appearance in "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" animated series. Toad is a take on Mr. Toad from "Wind in the Willows" yeah.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not quite sure what to make of this yet. The animation is definitely different, although it doesn't really bother me. I am curious to see some of the characters, like Katana and the villains, that I'm not familiar with. At the same time I am a little nervous that they seem to be making a point of being different from past adaptations. Sometimes that pays off, like with the Nolan movies, but other times it ends up a disaster, like Batman & Robin.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

How was B&R a pointed departure from what came before? It was in much the same vein as Batman Forever, only more so -- and it was pretty much a blatant attempt to replicate the campy flavor of the '66 sitcom.

Anyway, it's pretty standard for each new animated Batman series to be a departure from what's been done before. Batman: The Animated Series was radically unlike any prior animated Batman -- or any prior animated superhero show ever. Its successor The Batman took a different tack by being about a young Batman in the early years of his career -- although if anything it suffered from not being distinctive enough, so that sometimes it just felt like a less impressive version of what had come before. Conversely, Batman: The Brave and the Bold took a radically different tack from its two predecessors and was acclaimed for it, and was certainly unforgettable.

There have been so many Batman adaptations by now that the best chance any show has of being successful is if it does bring something new and fresh to the table. Just doing more of what's been done before would feel redundant. Of course doing this one in 3D animation is an obvious departure, but it wouldn't be enough on its own.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The CGI is boring and I don't like how Batman looks. It feels like animation from Despicable Me, just looks funny.

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping this turns out to be good, but for me it has an uphill battle. The CGI is pretty bad. Not Green Lantern TAS bad (everyone in that show looked like they were made from clay, they seemed to hate detail on the characters) but honestly the design of Batman is probably worst than anything i saw in GL. Some of the more bizarre choices (Katana instead of robin, highlighting stupid villains like the Pig and Toad guys I've never even heard of) are also working against it. Still, if its well written and entertaining, I can ignore that stuff. I just hope every week isn't another bizarre/obscure/lame Batman villain, and that we get some of the classics in there. Probably not Joker because I think a CGI joker in that style would just be horrifying (although probably still better than the abomination used in The Batman :cardie:) but Mr. Freeze, Riddler, etc would be cool. The video didn't fill be with confidence, but I'll definately give it a chance.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That and Batman Beyond are my two favs. The way Terry McGinnis dispatched the Joker was just a thing of beauty.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I much prefer the 2D animation. Who was the white haired dominatrix?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was mainly referring to the Burton movies, I guess I should have been more specific.
    As for what you said about the animated stuff, you are right. I haven't seen anything other than TAS and JL, so I didn't think about The Batman or The Brave and The Bold. I guess it just surprised me that they weren't going with the usual Batman and Robin fight The Joker, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, ect set up.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  11. Christopher

That's been done so many different ways in the past 20 years that I'm not surprised they want to focus mainly on villains who've never been depicted on film or TV before (although it's been reported that Ra's al Ghul will be appearing, played by Lance Reddick). Particularly since one of the showrunners is Glen Murakami, who worked for so many years on the DCAU shows before moving on to Teen Titans and Ben 10. I imagine he doesn't want to just rehash what he's already done.

Reportedly the show will also focus more on the detective/procedural side of Batman's work than we've seen before on TV, which sounds really cool.

12. Admiral_Young

The animation isn't really doing anything for me to be honest...I'm just looking forward to seeing characters we've never seen much of, and the type of stories the series will be telling. Like Christopher, I'm eager to hear the characters with their voices soon. I wonder if they'll reveal this at SDCC next month?

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Ra's al Ghul bit, and the focus on the detective side of the character do pique my interest a bit more.:techman:

14. Admiral_Young

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So... Katana is his permanent sidekick?

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I won't be too bothered by the CG if the storytelling is as good as it was on the Green Lantern series. And I like that they're trying to come up with more original villains for this show, instead of just giving us the umpteenth variation on the Joker or Penguin.

17. Christopher

Yup. Which isn't entirely unprecedented, since she was created as a member of the Outsiders, a team founded and led by Batman after he fell out with the Justice League. Which was, wow, 30 years ago now.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Anyone else of getting sick of Batman getting dozens of cartoon shows made about him?:scream:

Where is the next Superman cartoon? I thought we would have gotten one by now with the hype over MOS.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Indeed. There's probably enough Batman out there to have a 24-hour Batman Channel. :rommie:

20. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Brings new meaning to "same Bat-time, same Bat-channel," doesn't it? :D