Best Series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Stroudarian, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

My father used to say TOS was a little bland but it had to appeal to aunt Maude in Peoria but to me, on the whole, nothing can outdo it or be better than it per say but some of the stories of the spin offs were better, esp. Voyager and TNG and DS9 in that order. They could start off the next time around by just trying to be as good as it to begin with and then go from there by making it bigger, spicier and relevantly more substantive.

2. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I like them all (perhaps barring TAS, but even that had its moments), but DS9 is on top for me.

Great characters (particularly the recurring guests), epic scope and a more nuanced take on the Trek universe.

I rewatched it recently, and it was remarkable seeing how far characters came over the course of the show. The flaws did show up a bit more prominently than I recalled, though.

Hopefully Discovery will overtake it one day.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That might be because Netflix has the global rights to DSC outside of the US and Canda (I belive)

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Deep Space Nine for sure. The most interesting characters, setting, chemistry between characters, most of my favorite episodes from the entire franchise come from DS9. It was daring, it was bold. I know that by today's standards, it is tame. But back then, it was something new allright.

TNG is a close second, and the show I started watching first. But it's a bit to polished and perfect for me to be as good as DS9. Voyager and Enterprise are highly enjoyable, and I think I prefer Enterprise, but that depends on my mind and which season. At times, Voyager shone like a bright Star Trek beacon. And then, sometimes, it was shittier than a New York sewer.

TOS..... I love TOS. It gave us the beginning. But 60's tv just isn't my thing. A bit too camp. Certain episodes I can always watch, no problem. And the characters are great. But as overall enjoyable tv.....no.

And Discovery. That show is really doing it for me right now, but we're only half a season in. It's a sign of the times that people are hooked way too fast on shows these days and claim that 'this is DA BEST SHOW EVAH!!' only to drop it when a new show arrives. And that's unrealistic. A good tv show needs some time to develop. So, I will reserve judgement untill season 1 is over. I do really dig it sofar.

5. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG is the best for me and VOY would be 2nd.

1001001 likes this.
  6. Sybok Was Wrong

Sybok Was Wrong Commander Red Shirt

1) TOS- the music is classic, the stories are highly entertaining, the actors are full of enthusiasm, the simple & clean look of the sets are appealing. TOS is in a class of its own.

2) VOYAGER- the concept for the show is compelling. This is the most appealing and solidly cast show of the bunch. Consistency well-made. Easy one to get your Trek-fix with.

3) TNG- Bookended by bad seasons 1,2,7- and a so-so 6th. Seasons 3-5 are what make this series. Patrick Stewart is the best actor in Trek; rest of the cast varies in talent. Hits the highest "highs" of 90's Trek, easily.

4) ENTERPRISE- time has been really good to this one. Deserved a longer run. Designed to be simpler. Trip & T'Pol are among the best Trek characters.

5) DS9- maybe the best written of the bunch. For me personally, DS9 has a really unappealing group of characters in a visually unappealing environment- which makes for a questionable viewing experience. The Bajoran & Ferengi content is really not entertaining ingredients for me. Further, the cast is overall off-putting & prone to overacting. But that's just my opinion. I can see why others would rank it #1.

Prax likes this.
  7. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

We'll have to "forgive" seasons 1 and 2 of TNG, they were finding their way after TOS, which eventually became the blueprint for all future Treks.

8. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love all 5 like I love my children: equally.

...uh..I don't mean I love Star Trek as much as I love my kids...but you know... Besides, the kids will one day leave the nest. These shows are here to stay.

I think season 2 of TNG is great. Some of my favorite episodes are in there.

9. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Um............ well I agree TNG was a great show, and maybe it's the best series in terms of consistent quality. Overall I feel DS9 was the best written, having a far more interesting cast and story than TNG but being more consistently written than Voyager. On the other hand, when DS9 wasn't good, it was often REALLY bad.

I find the cast of TNG to be overall not that interesting, but still overall very likable.

I'll say this: I think TNG was the best with sci-fi stories, DS9 was the best with large-scale drama, and Voyager did the best with small-scale personal drama.

10. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ask me this question fifteen years ago and I would have had said "Voyager".
    But now looking back at all the series I can't say that I have any specific favorite series (well I ignore TAS and Discovery so technically I am not counting any one of them)

My least liked series would be Enterprise though it has a couple of episodes in Season 1 and 2, and the mini arcs that I find okay to watch but I would never consider them the best of Star Trek.

Each of the first four series have episodes I enjoy watching and it really depends in what mood I am at the moment on which series I would like to watch.
    I guess the most quickest choices for me would be the Original Series (season 1 and 2) or Voyager (season 4 and 5) when I feel like watching some Star Trek.
    With TNG and DSN I prefer to watch more specific episodes that I enjoyed when I was following their run on television or on video rental.

11. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And it won't. It's available on Netflix here, although my husband and I are HBO Nordic subscribers, so it'll be a while before we switch to Netflix. I haven't seen Discovery yet, either. (Oh, and The Orville started on Fox on January 1...)

Back on topic:
    I'm a Niner, no doubt about it. It's the show that gets the most rewatches (4 to date).
    My second favorite is TNG, it's the show I grew up with.
    I saw some TOS in the mid-80s when we lived in the UK.
    I really enjoyed ENT when I first saw it, but I haven't seen it more than once. Way overdue for a rewatch in other words.
    VOY is my least favorite Trek show, mainly because I just see the lost opportunities. It could have been great but the network executives played it safe and it was a huge step backwards from DS9. A second-rate TNG with much less interesting characters. I wanted to love it, but I didn't.

Tosk likes this.
  12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That is a tough question, because the shows vary little by little every so often. Still, consistently, DS9 has sat atop the pile the most often.

Right now, the list goes:

1. DS9
    2. TNG
    3. TOS/VOY (They are currently battling it out due to my recent VOY rewatch)
    4. ENT
    5. TAS

13. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

TNG.

Presumably, anyone who says SPACE:1999 gets a lifetime ban?

1001001 and JesterFace like this.
  14. CheeseCat

CheeseCat Cadet Newbie

I love Star Trek : Voyager, and I've already started watching TNG, but I was wondering which Star Trek TV shows you guys would recommend. Any suggestions?

15. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is pretty good.

16. CheeseCat

CheeseCat Cadet Newbie

Any specifics...?

17. Griffeytrek

Griffeytrek Captain Captain

You will find a fairly broad difference of opinion around here as to which is the best ST show. As a general rule TOS will always place near the top just for being the original and creating it all. TNG and DS9 generally fight for the spot beneath it. DS9 always rates surprisingly high as it is the most different show and in many ways the Black Sheep of the ST universe. But that’s part of what makes it so good. Voyager and Enterprise tend to be overall less favorably reviewed as their runs had much greater swings of positives and negatives. The current offering Discovery is a somewhat divisive subject and probably best not to deeply gone into here.

18. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9 is by far the best.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only two Star Trek shows are named "Star Trek," one is live-action and the other is animated. My favorites are those and Next Generation.