Best and Worst Voyager villain

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Tuvix5675, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he was the Overlooker in "TINKER TENOR DOCTOR SPY", the one who watched and worked with The Doctor.

At least, I think they were called Overlookers in scripts and such. Species name was never given in dialogue, other than the Hierarchy, which was the government or military leaders they contacted for decisions.

2. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the hierarchy! And they love the doctor..

3. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

They made him think that he was gonna die and he confessed all sorts of embarrassing things to the senior staff.

4. catshadowsi8

catshadowsi8 Captain Captain

For me the best villains are the ones that push someone to the brink. Individually two stand out for me. Seska- she not only had Chakotay twisting in the wind but also convinced the entire crew to infiltrate Kazon territory to rescue Chakotay's 'son'. She knew their schematics and their weaknesses intimately. Her betrayal had huge ramifications. Alice- She took Tom and had him so mindwarped he turned on B'Elanna and tried to destroy Voyager. Nasty piece of machinary. Group wise the Nemesis. I can't say a name because we never know who the true Nemesis are. One side reprogrammed Chakotay but we never find out if the other side is equally vile. In addition they reprogram the audience! We believe we know who the enemy is. We root for Chakotay to fight back and rescue the villagers. In the end we are as blindsided as Chakotay. Lastly tptb who defanged the Borg, species 8472, the Hirogen, just to name a few. What were they thinking?

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Jason Alexander and the Clown! EAsily my faves.

6. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Yes, the think tank are underappreciated villains.

erastus25 likes this.
  7. Gul Sengosts

Gul Sengosts Commander Red Shirt

It's only now that I'm thinking about it that I realise VOY was awful at creating villains. Best were probably the Vidiians. They were abandoned however, and at some point someone apparently thought "fuck this, let's just bring back the Borg".

8. Tuvix5675

Tuvix5675 Commander Red Shirt

I really disagree. VOY had some of the most varied, original, and memorable villains of any Trek series, but they didn't create any villain that carried the series, but they were constantly experimenting, it was inevitable that they would run into the Borg. The problem with VOY's villains is that they are confined to the gamma quadrant, so none of VOY's villains will have a long-term impact on the franchise.

9. catshadowsi8

I think they made some great villians but didn't know what to do with them and ultimately destroyed them. The Borg, for me, are not true Voyager villains as they were conceived on Next Gen. Same goes for Klingons, Romulans, the Ferengie...you get my drift. Species 8472 though was brilliant. Then they defanged them In The Flesh. The Hirogen were also great. They were neutralized in Flesh and Blood. The Vidians were pretty nasty too. Cured in Think Tank. It was a puzzling pattern. Made it real hard for me to pick them as the best. Made it real easy for me to pick tptb as the worst.

10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

For the Vidians, they refused to pay the price and the Think Tank gave them the disease back, only worse. Now not only do they have the phage but they also have bad breath!!!

11. Prax

That's basically the point of all Star Trek villains - to find common ground - to become pals. It happens over and over again in all of the series, including with the Klingons and Romulans. If the Borg remained a faceless enemy, there would be no more borg stories.

TNG wanted to bring the Borg back, so they made Picard a borg. They wanted to again, so they created Hugh. They wanted to again, so they made Lore their leader, then again, and so they created the queen.

12. catshadowsi8

But the Borg remain a menace throughout Next Gen. In fact they are such a significant threat that the sight of them in Scorpion is truly chilling. In the original Star Trek the Klingons and Romulans are not declawed either. They are a threat throughout. In DS9 the Dominion fight on until the last few episodes. So do the Cardassians. These are unique enemies created for these series just like species 8472, the Hirogen, etc. are for Voyager.

13. Prax

They are. Humans and Klingons are equals in the original. In their last appearance, they become fast friends. And Kirk makes a fool out of the Romulans in their last appearance.

By the time of "Descent," The borg aren't scary anymore. They're retooled for the TNG movie, made into a sort of "Zombie villain," and frightening again, and with a queen. They're certainly frightening in their final appearance on Enterprise.

If the Hirogen were only going to be mysterious giant predators, hunting for organ trophies, there would be no need to feature them in additional stories. Might as well have made them Vidiians. Speaking of, were the Vidiians "defanged"? They're always frightening, even in their final appearance. By an off hand remark in Think Tank, they were "neutralized"?

14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The more they use the Borg the less threatening they appear to be... I think they overused the Borg.

catshadowsi8 likes this.
  15. catshadowsi8

In the 1960 series the Klingons are antagonists. The last episode I remember them in is Elaan of Troyius where they attack the Enterpise over dilithiam crystals. The last episode I remember the Romulans in is The Enterprise Incident where Kirk pretends to go crazy so Spock can steal a cloaking device. In Star Trek 3: Search for Spock the Klingons are still the main antagonist. They don't become friends to my knowledge until Next Gen. I remember being shocked when Worf first walked onto the set. Correct me if I'm wrong. As for Kirk humiliating the Romulans, Kirk wins every encounter with everyone (it is the 60's lol) so I'm not sure which one you are referring to. Certainly they humiliate the Romulan spy in The Trouble with Tribbles. Can you specify?
    The Borg I always felt were terrifying but maybe that's just me.
    As for the Hirogen, 'organ' trophies were not what made them unique. You are 100% right. That's what the Vidians did. Hirogen were great because they revelled in the hunt. In The Killing Game the Hirogen says 'I want to see the fear in your eyes. You are mine now and after death.' A species that specializes in tracking and killing is a formidable enemy. Professional assassins of the galaxy.
    As for the the Vidians being neutralized they harvest organs because they must. They are not proud of it as seen in Phage. No phage, no organ harvest, no villian. Tjmo

16. Farscape One

"DAY OF THE DOVE" was the last appearance of the Klingons in the original series. And it was a Klingon spy in "THE TROUBLE WITH TRIBBLES", not a Romulan.

17. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose a mitigating factor for VOY and the transient villains is the fact the ship is travelling through their space. Where in TNG we see the E as part of an interstellar power with fairly stable borders VOY has a nomadic ship and crew constantly encountering unknown species and then moving on.

Farscape One likes this.
  18. catshadowsi8

Day of the Dove (the laughing klingons) was episode 7. Elaan of Troyius (episode 13) is where Kirk is infected with the princess' tears and the Klingons are trying to destroy the Enterprise to stop the princess from reaching her wedding. Kirk breaks the spell because of that attack.
    I was wrong about Trouble with Tribbles. It was a Klingon spy. My apologizes.

19. Farscape One

I was going by production order, which "DAY OF THE DOVE" is about 12th or 13th produced for that season, while "ELAAN OF TROYIUS" was the second.

I suppose a case can be made for both scenarios, though.

johnnybear likes this.
  20. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I think I hated the Kazon the most and was very glad when Voyager finally moved beyond their space.