best and worst of Treknobabble

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Temis the Vorta, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The part when Scotty said something about killing Archer's prized beagle in a transporter accident.

2. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

somehow, the technobabble used in "Rejoined" is of a different kind to most VOY technobabble.

The dialogue in "shattered" makes a frightening amount of sense in context.
    The stuff in "Rejoined" is mostly nonsense and we're not supposed to "get" the details at all. It seems the main purpose here is to make stuff sound cool and to show those are future scientists doing and talking crazy tech.

Dunno what's better

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Makes you wonder what they were paying Andre Bormanis for.

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

When we do a big project here at work, a table called a "compliance matrix" is made, listing everyone's responsibilities. It sounded technobabbly to me, so I borrowed it for a fanfic, and had the engineer tell the captain he had to "tune the port nacelle's warp compliance matrix". The captain then stared blankly at him, having no idea what he just said, and told him to just go do it and stop bothering her. :)

5. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The big shiny error in your example is that that the words were recognisable between the two correspondents, even if the meanings have changed.

6. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Best and Worst:

"Perimeter sensors are picking up a subspace oscillation.
    What the hell does that mean?" - Kira

:D

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always thought that when they do a new Trek series, they should have fun with the technobabble. Have a chief engineer who hates using technobabble, but his assistant is constantly using it. Something like this:

Assistant: "Sir, we've been attempting to re-allign the quantum isotroic stabilizers, but we're getting interferance from the tachyon field generator preventing a stable warp matrix."
    Chief: "So the warp core is shot to hell?"
    Assistant: "Yes sir, I believe that's what I just said."

Or during a battle:
    XO: "Engineering, report!"
    Chief: "You, give the XO a report!"
    Assistant: "You want me to report to the XO, sir? Isn't that your job?"
    Chief: "He wants to hear terms I have no intention of using."
    Assistant: "Yes, sir. Commander, warp core is offline, auxilary power at 47%. Coolant leak flooding th engine room with plasma and fusing the magnetic injectors into a quantum protonic state."
    XO: "What are you doing about this?"
    Assistant: "First we're purging 10000 terrabytes out of the main computer for the pruposes of developing a hyper-chaotic verteron field and then channel it through the main deflector and the nacelles of creating a cascading warp field intermix bubble which should-"
    Chief: "We're fixing it."

And yes, I'm aware none of that makes sense.

8. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

Personally, I like that there is some technobabble however, one of the biggest turn offs for me trying to watch TNG and a very small smattering of the later series is when there is way too much of it. Not everyone who watches Trek has a degree in Engineering or Physics. It's helpful to be married to a physicist but I feel like I need a technobabble translator button on my remote to understand what's going on. I think my science knowledge is a little above the average public and while I like to be challenged intelluctually, technobabble is a bit much and distracts me from the plot.

9. Xelo

Xelo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Someone must have mentioned this, but when Riker explains the specifics of the computer to the Ferengi? Sorry, can't remember the ep name...

10. PorthosShadow

"Rascals" and I was under the impression he was just making stuff up to confuse the Ferengi. Now granted, that's not a huge accomplishment but that spew of technobabble really felt forced and made up.

11. Xelo

Of course! True it was forced and made up, but that what was great about it. Almost as if the writers were making a joke?

12. PorthosShadow

That's what I was thinking and if true, it's not a half bad breaking the fourth wall joke.

13. Xelo

Exactly. And Frakes delivery is hilarious also, or maybe it's just me?

14. PorthosShadow

It's not just you, Jonathan Frakes has pretty good comic timing.

15. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

The Nth Degree- an all time high in technobabble:

And in the same episode:

This is one of the things you have to love about TNG...no other Trek show comes close :rommie:

16. PorthosShadow

I get the feeling that all the ridiculous technobable was a result of the writers getting bored with it. So they intentionally made it as ridiculous as possible.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

RIKER
    (quickly)
    Okay, Morta. The Enterprise
    computer system is controlled by
    three primary main processing
    cores cross linked with a
    redundant melacortz ramistat and
    fourteen kiloquad interface
    modules. The core elements are
    based on FTL nanoprocessor units
    arranged into twenty-five
    bilateral kelilactirals with
    twenty of those units being slaved
    to the central heisenfram
    terminal.
    (beat)
    You do know what a bilateral
    kelilactiral is, don't you?

Morta is lost, but unwilling to admit it.

MORTA
    Of course I do, human. I am not
    stupid.

RIKER
    No, of course not.
    (points to something
    on console)
    Now this is the isopalavial
    interface which controls the main
    firomactal drive unit.
    (slaps Morta's hand
    away)
    Don't touch that, you'll blow up
    the entire firomactal drive.

18. PorthosShadow

If that isn't a shot at how inane technobabble had become I don't know what else it could be. Also, while I imagine that dialogue had to be difficult, I have to believe that Jonathan Frakes had a lot of fun delivering it.

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It was intended to be a bit over the top, as the character was making most of it up to confuse the Ferengi. It was also intended behind the scenes as an "Ode to Technobabble" and the writers let go of their usual restraint and purposefully wrote the most insane technobabble ever

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even "browsing" and "surfing" would throw them. "Browse" is what a deer does when it eats shrubs and trees, and they might know what "surf" is, but how can you "ing" it, even in the literal sense? "Surfing the web" makes no sense because spider webs would dissolve if they got wet. And does an "iPod" have something to do with peas? How can you hear music through a vegetable?

That's what's missing in Treknobabble, the way we take ordinary words and give them new meanings that are metaphors for the old meanings, sometimes two or three steps removed. Deer browsing > library browsing > browsing web pages > who knows what. Browsing could be what starships do when they visit several planets in one journey. To boldly browse where no man has gone before.

23rd C language would be incomprehensible even if no technical language were included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.