Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

How about Gemma Chan for either the Lyta/Talia Teep or the Takashima/Ivanova XO?

Commander Troi and Forbin like this.
  2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

If JMS goes back to his earliest outlines for the story - which seems likely given his comments about the reboot - then there's absolutely zero need for both Sheridan and Sinclair to exist, and since we already know that Sheridan is going to be the reboot's central character, it's virtually guaranteed that the only place that the Sinclair character will exist going forward is in the OG series.

Edit: I also believe that the same thing applies to the characters of Talia and Franklin.

Ivanova was apparently always going to exist, but wouldn't have been a major character at first, so it's possible we could see her in the reboot after all.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    OCD Geek likes this.
  3. Asbo Zaprudder

I forget what was in JMS's original 5-year plan for B5 exactly but I expect he'll have written a completely new one. I'm just going to treat it like an alternate history. It should succeed or fail entirely on its own merits and only be compared with the original in terms of quality of acting, writing, set design, effects, music - except , of course, we know it won't.

4. DigificWriter

^ JMS' comments indicate that he'll be telling the same story, just not in the same way, which is why I think he's going back to his original outlines since doing so is an easy and simple way for there to be differences between the OG series and the reboot.

I also think that JMS using the name of John Sheridan for the central character from the start this time around is a decision motivated by the same reasoning that he used to explain why he's not doing a continuation of the OG series.

OCD Geek likes this.
  5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

6. Asbo Zaprudder

I would suggest not naming it Babylon 5 at all but make it completely its own thing. I'd watch it. I don't need reminding that the old series exists. People fresh to the new series who haven't seen the old one won't care. The separation in time between old and new Battlestar Galactica was 26 years. It's going to be at least 29 years between when the original version of The Gathering aired and this show.

BillJ and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  7. Omega-Trekker

Omega-Trekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They could go with something like "Babylon 5: Legacy". This could attract viewers because of the B5 name while letting potential viewers know what the franchise/show is all about, assuming it takes place in the time after B5 is decommissioned. It's been done for other series, for example;

Stargate: SG1
    Stargate: Atlantis
    Stargate: Universe
    ... but if there are no references to the old characters or their stories in the new series, forget I ever wrote this.

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

For some reason this is reminding me of a local sci fi club that had a well-known writer as a guest speaker (I actually forgot who, it was so long ago). He took questions, and a member's 6-year-old son asked "Can you write a story about a fire engine, and, and a super guy who..." on and on, probably making it up on the fly. The writer said "Do you have an agent?" :lol:

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Yeah, I believe I had an imagination when I was a child. Education removed that skill from me. That's my excuse anyway. We were set creative writing tasks but they seemed tediously dull and mundane. Marks were deducted for anything judged too fanciful and not grounded in the real world.

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

its nice that it seems JMS is reading some of the feedback, and responding ocasionally. If I remember he was always active on the early internet boards.
    From what was said. I HIGHLY doubt it will be anything like the show, I even doubt he would go back to the "Original Script" as he has said that he has evolved as a writer in the past 30 years ( I hope so!) and even during the series he charted different paths from the original draft, as he was quite litterally writing almost all episodes.
    So there might be different characters, different names, new characters, new aliens, who knows.
    I just hope that "Visually" that he'd stick close to the original, I'm talking about the VFX, that a Starfury looks like a starfury, Omega, etc. but more detailed out.

11. DigificWriter

The reboot is obviously going to be called Babylon 5.

Suggestions otherwise are just silly.

12. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Until CW focus group decides calling "Bab5" would fit the demo better.

Commander Troi likes this.
  13. Asbo Zaprudder

This time maybe have some of the other Babylon stations still operating and scattered more widely than ε Eridani, which is only 10.5 light years away.

somebuddyX likes this.
  14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Baby 5 following the adventures of a K-Pop group on a future space station.

Commander Troi, Anwar, Forbin and 3 others like this.
  15. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

In the original, Babylon 5 had just gone operational — a few months open in "The Gathering" and a year by the time the series started.

For this iteration, I'd like it if the Babylon 5 station had been around for a much longer time. And maybe it's not a plum assignment for this John Sheridan. Maybe the station's UN-like responsibilities are seen as feckless by the major space powers.

Oh, and a couple of casting ideas that struck me. Sterling K. Brown as Sheridan. Matt Berry as Londo.

16. wonderstoat

wonderstoat Lieutenant Red Shirt

Matt Berry as Londo is genius!

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Will they get Shazad Latif as G'Kar?

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

"Hello, Londo. This is G'Kar... can you hear me?"

"Yes! I can hear you, G'Kar!"

Mr. Adventure likes this.
  19. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The older stat
    The older station idea is one I like. It always bugged me that B5 had an established criminal underground and unemployed underclass so soon.

Anwar and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  20. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shazad Latif? Ugh.. no please, was annoying as hell in Discovery.

BillJ and The Nth Doctor like this.