Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

You'll have to if you want me to believe you. As you know, I'm really quite conversant with his posts - and transcripts...you know the ones I did that you've been quoting? :-).

2. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

An uncomfortable possibility... JMS is not a spring chicken. Do you think Warner is waiting for him to pass away before doing anything with B5?

I am not a legal expert by any stretch of the definition, but when one party dies, doesn't that make it void? This way, they can do whatever they want without any oversight or authorization from the creator.

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Thing of it is, JMS *sold* B5 to WB. The only rights he actually owns are the feature film rights. Everything else, from Airlocks to Zocalo belongs to WB. B5 was JMS' first ever series sale. That means that any rights he got were those that WB thought would be useless.

Bottom line is that it's vanishingly unlikely that JMS has some magic veto-power but might have the right of first refusal on any proposed projects-at the most. As for anything reverting after JMS' death (Hey! He's only 9 months older than me!), all of the contracts would be with his corporation, Synthetic Worlds, and corporations don't have to die.

4. Triple-F

Triple-F Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

OK. Just for the hell of it – since you asked. Emphasis added by me.

1999 – He mentions Warner own the copyright, but somehow, by contract he has to be involved if any new B5 project is proposed.
    2003 – He goes a bit further and says that he controls many of the rights, (even though Warner owns the copyright) then specifically says – by contract- that if he isn’t involved with a new project then it doesn’t happen.
    2009 – He goes further still and points out that no proposed project can move forward without his authorisation.
    As I mentioned earlier – maybe he’s talking through his backside. I don’t know. But he keeps mentioning this contract of his. Maybe I’m missing something – wouldn’t be the first time – or you know something different, but he’s pretty clear on those points.

If he does have to authorise a new B5 project or it doesn’t happen, then that pretty much does seem to qualify as a veto if he so chooses to withhold his authorisation. . . . . . Not saying that he HAS done that, but it does at least appear – based on what he’s said – that he has that ability. . . . . Anyway.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. Farscape One

So, basically, this situation is the same as how CBS owns the rights to STAR TREK being on television and Paramount, the movies.

In this case, JMS is Paramount with WB being CBS.

An I understanding this right?

6. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure what you're trying to read into this but the word choice is Would not - not Could not. That's what's known as courtesy. There's nothing at all in any of those that indicates that JMS has any authority to authorize (or veto) any project at all. As I said, 'being involved' might be nothing more than collecting a check. As an example, there's this post regarding Jeremiah:
    Yes, different show but it's indicitive of how odd things can be in that business.

Farscape One, I'm not sure that's an exact comparison because as I recall, the Trek movies have been shown on TV. As it stands (from what JMS has said), JMS can make a movie and distribute it to theaters but cannot license that movie to be shown on TV. And if he's ever mentioned other revenue streams like Blu-Ray/DVD or downloading, I haven't seen or heard that but it seems doubtful.

7. Farscape One

I was referring more to producing a movie vs. tv series, especially since at least the 2009 STAR TREK movie has aired on tv.

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

All I know is what JMS said back in 2014:
    So it seems that the film would have to be in theaters only unless WB got involved in some way and licensed the additional rights.

9. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

19 years ago today, on Thanksgiving Eve, Sleeping In Light aired. JMS said:
    ----
    Ultimately, for me, the end of B5 is neither a sad ending nor a happy ending; it's not an ending at all, since the universe carries on. But if I were to describe what kind of ending it was, I'd say it was a graceful ending, a dignified ending, an ending that said individuals can effect profound change, if they are willing to put their own lives and happiness on the line; not
    happy, not sad, but a testament to the idea that you have used your time here well."
    -----
    For me it's still the best series ending ever. And I still cry.

Jan

Ryan Thomas Riddle and shivkala like this.
  10. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

For a time after the series ended for me when it was brand new I got up early to watch the sunrise.

Jan likes this.
  11. Farscape One

It was a great series finale to a great series. I miss B5.

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Susan Ivanova speaks for all of us:

Gingerbread Demon and Jan like this.
  13. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Of course Susan was right Ivanova was God after all.

Such a brilliant show.

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

15. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. DonIago

The first thing I remember seeing him in is Apollo 13.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the TV episode of CNN's The Nineties last night, and they actually showed a clip from B5 during a montage at the end. I was hoping they might talk about it some, but there a lot of big shows in the '90s and you can't cover everything in 2 hours. It was at least nice to see the show acknowledged at all.

Jan likes this.
  18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Besides B5, another role he’s familiar for is the old man in “The Grinch” that gives the grinch the some posing.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And his wife (Ron's mom) was also in the film, wasn't she? IIRC, she played Jim Lovell's mother.

"It's that damn TV Guide again!"

20. DonIago

I think you're right about that.