Babylon 5 and the absurdities of the plagiarism charge

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Bad Thoughts, May 27, 2020.

1. Akalabeth

Akalabeth Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Long roots? What utter nonsense. Ro Laren was introduced a month before B5 was publicly announced. As far as I know she's the first Bajoran character and the first ground work for DS9. So your long roots are introduced during or after the finalization of JMS's deal with WB.

Let me make a few things clear.
    JMS was trying to get B5 picked up for years, including Paramount, they apparently had multiple positive meetings but suddenly stopped.
    B5 was picked by WB and announced in Nov 1991.
    Ro Laren, the first real tie into DS9 was introduced Oct 1991. DS9 itself went into production in 1992.

The biggest point is though, DS9 came out January 1993, and the B5 pilot came out in February 1993. B5's season 1 also came out a year later in January 1994. The timing means that any weird similarities between the two shows would likely have only derived from the pitch. Unless there was some article or trailer about b5 that paramount saw and looked at.

So what did they have in common, based on Emissary:
    1. A "changeling"
    2. The wormhole/jumpgate
    3. The religiously oppressed race and the oppressors
    4. Diplomatic aim of the station (Sisko was ordered by Picard to get Bajor ready for federation membership)
    5. The haunted commander who survived a massacre
    6. The multi-species, transit hub nature of the station
    7. Angel-like aliens
    8. The station situated in neutral space
    9. The darker tone
    10. The prejudiced, female XO (according to the B5 pitch bible)

Now maybe you can say like, 4, 6, 8 are coincides. But the rest? Pretty doubtful. And if they took ANYTHING from the B5 pitch, then EVERYTHING is suspect because it means they actually looked at it when developing the show.

And yeah I know people have already said that TNG already had wormholes. But those weren't permanent features on a show were they? DS9, from a franchise about warp travel, just decides to adopt a permanent other means of transportation that coincidentally is just like B5?

2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

How long does it take to put on an episode, particularly one that requires the design of new alien prosthetics? When you figure out how long it takes to go from story pitch, to writing, to production cost breakdown, to filming, to airing, you will realize it is preposterous to make this conneciton. You are really getting silly now.
    JMS also revised his pitch, which was largely cold after dealing with Paramount, when he went to WB. The fact that he had negotiations with Paramount means nothing.

OK, let's stop this now. Where is the inculpatory evidence that shows actual actions taken on the part of Berman and Piller?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Farscape One likes this.
  3. Akalabeth

Is Odo a baby? A child? No. Odd then that two TV shows just happened to draw upon this previously obscure legend to apply to grown shapeshifters in their pilot episodes. Must be another amazing, inevitable coincidence right?

4. Bad Thoughts

Hmm ... no changelings in science fiction before 1993? :lol::rommie::guffaw:

Grendelsbayne and Farscape One like this.
  5. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

You realize that "Ensign Ro" was the 3rd episode produced for that season, right? Which means they went into production of that episode in mid-late July, 1991. The script for that was certainly finished at least a week or two before that. That's MONTHS before the B5 announcement.

Your other points...

1. Refer to my previous post.

2. Jumpgate technology is B5's equivalent to warp drive. It cuts time to get to a destination. A wormhole is a DIRECT shot from one end of the galaxy to the other.

3. I'm not a religious or spiritual person, so I tend to equate both in the same way. I can't really say more on this than my previous post.

4. Refer to my previous post.

5. There's still plenty of difference between Sisko and Sinclair. For one thing, Sinclair never really fully let it go, which is one of the reasons why Garibaldi talked to him about his martyr complex. Sisko in fact moved on from that battle.

6. This is really just coincidence. A commerce center is going to attract all types of species.

7. The Prophets were more like gods than angels. If I understand the analogy correctly, angels are servants of god. The Prophets served no one.

8. DS9 was not neutral space. It was smack inside Bajoran territory.

9. A darker tone was a natural extension of where they were, franchise speaking. And by the way, DS9 had a LOT of comedy. They balanced both quite well.

10. A series bible... again, if not shown on screen in an episode or dialogue, it doesn't count.

Grendelsbayne and Bad Thoughts like this.
  6. Bad Thoughts

This reminds me: any fans of Buck Rogers in the 25th century here?

Mr. Laser Beam and Farscape One like this.
  7. Bad Thoughts

Another thing that should be noted: the bible JMS gave to WB was not the same one he gave to Paramount, and a bible contains no scripts, not even the pilot script.

Grendelsbayne and Farscape One like this.
  8. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Farscape One likes this.
  9. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

And by your own admission, the pilot for both is where the similarities may lie. Odo wasn't identified as a 'Changeling' until halfway into season 1... the episode "VORTEX", specifically. That aired mid-April of 1993. "EMISSARY" was filmed in mid-August, and ended 9/18/92. Given Thanksgiving and Christmas break, "VORTEX" was produced before the B5 pilot ever aired. So how could the DS9 people ripoff B5 that term if B5 hadn't even aired yet?

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  10. Akalabeth

have you personally read either bible?

11. Akalabeth

Do you understand that the allegations are that DS9 took ideas from the b5 pitch bible? That is the entire discussion.

12. Bad Thoughts

No, but that matters because ... ?

13. Bad Thoughts

What's the proof of the actions of Berman and Piller? What is the proof an actual crime took place?

14. Akalabeth

Because you’re making claims about it, obviously. So where is your evidence to back up those claims ?

15. Akalabeth

There’s a basic misunderstanding here on your end. If a show comes out, Aires on tv, and then another show copies them a bit it’s fine- it’s kinda lame but it’s fair game . Works are derivative

But if someone pitches an idea to a company, they reject it, and then use the idea anyway for their own show it’s a problem.

so you saying that the changeling term was filmed before the b5 pilot it actually strengthens my argument, it doesn’t weaken it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  16. Bad Thoughts

No, J. Michael Straczynski makes claims (without evidence) and you are here to echo them. You need to find the proof of who had what and what was done with it. It is a matter of fact that JMS reworked the pitch. It's in several interviews.

Farscape One likes this.
  17. Akalabeth

What interview? Where’s the link. What was changed between the two pitches? Like if you can’t provide evidence to back up a single claim the don’t bother replying mate. Because it’s the only thing that’ll change my mind.

You don’t need proof of who did what. That’s not how the law works. Jms talked to paramount. Paramount made ds9. That’s it

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

JMS has put evidence forward. It's in his Autobiography, Becoming Superman. It's out there.

19. Bad Thoughts

I don't links to the interviews yet. However, there are materials left over from the original 1988 pitch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/babylon5/comments/40lb8p/early_b5_promo_brochure_with_concept_art/

http://www.zteamproductions.com/b5char.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/babylon5/comments/8hm399/babylon_5_the_original_plan_pilot_season_1/

https://b5books.com/babylon-5-scripts-overview/#:~:text=The original 1989 version of the Babylon 5,of "The Parliament of Dreams," featuring Mr. Jones
    (notes separate, unproduced pilot)

More to be added later.

Not directly relevant to this question, but since I mentioned it earlier:
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/an-or...novel-that-showed-a-different-way-to-tell-sci

20. Bad Thoughts

So he points to specific individuals or documents that show Berman and Piller using the materials that had been returned to JMS?