Avengers Infinity War (and beyond) anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jan 24, 2017.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Either CBR or Io9 actually just had an article about that character switch yesterday.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Must've been CBR because I didn't see anything like that on io9 and I avoid CBR except through links posted here.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Loki knows at least some extent of the cube's powers and its possible he will be the one to send Bruce there before he hands over the cube, knowing there's no way to keep it out of Thanos's hands so the best they can do is warn Earth.

4. The Nth Doctor

[​IMG]

Frame from The Infinity Gauntlet #2, August 1991.

Is it too much to hope for that we might see that moment recreated in Infinity War in May?

Yeah, that would make sense. Plus, it would show that Loki isn't an outright villain, an idea that the MCU has cultivated from the beginning.

Edit: I don't know why the image is showing up as a horizontal when it's a vertical on the site I uploaded it to and it shows up correctly on my phone.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Captaindemotion likes this.
  5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Oh he is certainly on the road to redemption before no doubt, a hero's death while saving Humanity.

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if the Trump Organization feels bound by fair use doctrine anymore, my dear Grinch Doctor.

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The MCU would do well to avoid any clumsy politicized messages as the films are trying to cater to as many people as possible.

8. Venardhi

Ehh, If they snuck that in I'd be willing to buy an extra ticket or two to cover the snowflakes who refused to see it over that shot.

9. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, you're probably right, even if it would be just paying homage to the source material. But a guy can dream, right? :D

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  10. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

You really don't get it, do you? A shared universe is one thing. Using a narrative that was more suitable for an Avengers film in a movie with the title of "Captain America" DID NOT WORK FOR ME. The movie came off as schizophrenic and Chris Evans nearly became a guest star in what was supposed to be HIS FILM . . . not his and Robert Downey Jr.'s film. The latter should have been either a supporting cast member or a cameo and not the goddamn co-lead. I'm not the only person who has complained about this.

But if you want to keep misinterpreting what I'm trying to say, be my guest. My opinion stands.

11. Venardhi

Captain America was the protagonist. It was very clearly his film. He had less screen time than in his previous films because he actually had antagonists worth spending time with in Civil War, whereas First Avenger had scenery chewing nazis (they're evil, you know) and Winter Soldier played out in a way that we weren't really supposed to see a lot of the villains' workings. .

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Because apparently the movies that don't say "Avengers" in them are supposed to be totally standalone with absolutely no outside characters and no connection to the greater Universe. The lazy way.

By people who merely dislike Iron Man at all. Like him being in Homecoming.

Wyse and Turtletrekker like this.
  13. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Yeah . . . I dislike Iron Man. I started disliking him when Marvel decided to make him the co-lead . . . in a CAPTAIN AMERICA MOVIE. Which is ridiculous! The best thing I can say about "Spider-man Homecoming" is that Iron Man was nothing more than a guest star. Thank God.

Clearly? I'm going to pause here, while I struggle to control my laughter.

14. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

I havent seen anyone complaining Loki or Hulk being co-leads in the latest Thor movie.. Why is Iron Man so different? We probably wont be getting standalone Iron Man movies anymore.

Wyse, Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  15. Venardhi

Yes, clearly, because he was the protagonist, he was right, and he is the one who goes through a character arc.

Falcon, Wanda, Widow, Hawkeye, etc. are his supporting cast. Tony is his antagonist. The other ancillary characters are involved because it makes sense for them to be, because the plot involves and impacts them all.

This isn't difficult to grasp.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Shared Universes, characters can be in other movies in that kind of role. Deal with it. Heroes in a Shared Universe no longer exist in vacuums wholly separate from the other characters and they no longer have to just battle their own villains but can go beyond that.

For some reason, some people think that it's wrong for heroes to meet up in movies that aren't explicitly labeled "Avengers" films.

17. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Iron Man / Tony Stark is literally a fascist in these movies, has been since the start.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

Anwar likes this.
  19. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lolwut

Anwar and Turtletrekker like this.
  20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

In all three Iron Man movies and especially The Avengers, Age of Ultron and Avengers 2.5, Stark's throughline is "I know better than everyone else, and they must conform to my views," he controls the means of production for the Avengers and is all too happy to resort to violence.

That isn't subtext, it's text.