Assassin's Creed III

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JarodRussell, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Only if you don't issue a follow up command right after the counter. Red triangle appears over enemy. Tap B. Game slows down. Tap X, enemy dead.

I really don't understand what you must be doing wrong but the way you're describing the combat system does not tally with how it works in my experience :/

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

When I see the warning triangle I mash B, and I never get a slo mo moment, but I do manage to counter the move without hurting him.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I tap B, I don't get the slowdown; I have to hold B to get that to happen... I wonder what the heck is different?

Even if it works as you describe, it's still a change from prior games (it didn't use to be a two-button process...).

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So you have to hold down B? Like, the whole time?

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was always a two-button process on the PS3 version.

6. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's time for a new controller?!?

7. Jim Steele

Yeah I was about to say. Maybe your controller is buggered or something, but the way I'm describing the counter system *is* how it works - I'm not making it up!

8. Rincewiend

And the 2 button counter-and-attack system has been in place for atleast the last 2 or 3 games....
    The "timing"/"rhythm" might have changed a little though...

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Took me about ten tries to kill the guy at the end of "Bunker Hill" because I still can't handle the combat mechanics. Sigh. Are you supposed to hit the counter button when the red triangle flashes or when he swings?

10. Rincewiend

When it flashes...

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That doesn't seem to work... it seems to work more often if i do it as they swing, but I'm still dying over and over... this is so frustrating...

12. ATimson

Are you holding Counter or tapping it? Try holding it (so it goes into slow motion), then hitting X to attack (or whatever the PS3 equivalent is).

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

OK I seem to get it to work by hitting B as the same moment they swing, NOT when the flashing triangle appears. I'll try just holding it down next time. So, what, you just hold B down the entire fight?

And even when I *DO* get a successful counter, I just shove them away I don't kill them, which makes the fight last forever...

14. Rincewiend

Hit X as soon as you counter, should kill all regular enemies...
    There are some tougher ones, like in the previous games, that you need to kick first to break their defense by pressing A.
    It works the same way as in Brotherhood/Revelations et al...

15. Jim Steele

I'm genuinely wondering what the hell the problem is with your controllers/systems/hands, because it really isn't that complicated and you don't have to hold any buttons.

From IGN:

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/assassins-creed-3/Counter

(obv on 360 "O" = "B")

Right after a successful counter, you have to issue a follow up command. X to kill, A to disarm, B to throw.

It tells you in the tutorial. It tells you in the in-game manual. People have said it in this thread numerous times.

16. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yep and for badass enemies (like Jagers) you have to press X (PS3) / A (X360) afterwards.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's also exactly the same as it was in Brotherhood and Revelations, which is why I'm having a hard time understanding the problem. Hell, if it's really an issue, go back to the fighting tutorial in ACII with Ezio's uncle at Monterriggioni. It's exactly the same. And honestly, if you've played Arkham Asylum or Arkham City, I'm pretty sure it's the same controls there as well.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm halfway through Sequence 11 and I've finally got a handle on the combat, haha. The problem is the game comes out once a year but I forget how it works and it takes me forever to remember again and I'm too lazy to do the tutorials.

I just really don't dig this game. I liked the middle ages Europe / Middle East stuff. I don't care about Colonial America or the Revolution. Maybe I'm just skipping a lot but this game feels so shallow. You can't upgrade your health bars? You don't learn new moves? You don't recruit assassins? There aren't shops? You can't buy and upgrade the city?

The only cool thing I think about the story is that
    your father is the Templar leader but he isn't altogether evil

19. ATimson

You do recruit Assassins (though they're more fleshed out NPCs instead of random people now).

There are shops, that sell new weapons, but not other upgrades like before.

...you can upgrade your ship's health bar, at least?

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I got one Assassin to call on, but he only works in the cities? I keep forgetting about him actually. I really liked having squads to call upon.