Assassin's Creed III

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JarodRussell, Sep 23, 2012.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Ooooh this is getting me exited. I loved Assassin's Creed and all the sequels, and the game play is getting better and better and better with each.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92SSQBIQ07k[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnzRufewJU[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLO8GgA-P4[/yt]

There's a strong Red Dead Redemption vibe there, but I like that. And to me those elements look even smoother than in RDR, so that's a plus.

Hopefully, the story is just as big and long as it was in Assassin's Creed 2. Brotherhood and Revelations were nice additions, but they were really short.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'm looking forward to this- I enjoyed AC1, loved AC2, and hope that not having played Brotherhood or Revelations won't be a bar to getting everything out of AC3...

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't finished the first one, but I'm really looking forward to this. The setting looks very appealing.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I played through all of them earlier this year, and I'm very excited for the new one. Kind of sad to say goodbye to Ezio, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this new assassin fits into the whole story.

5. JarodRussell

AC2 is miles better than AC1, and you get to know all the important bits about AC1 there anyways.

Brotherhood and Revelations finish Ezio's and Altair's stories, and I don't think there are any major ties between them and the new Connor character (even though it would be very cool if there are).

You might wonder about the present-day Desmond story, why they ended up where they ended up. But I guess that's going to be explained at the beginning of the new game anyways.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You've got over a month! You should try and play Brotherhood and Revelations. They're excellent games, and they tell the rest of Ezio's story.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Bloody hell, I haven't even finished AC2 yet! I got to the bit where the world pretty much opened up and I rather suddenly lost interest. I mean I had fully upgraded my little town, I'm pretty sure I had every weapon (only one of which I ever used) and I just got the impression that a massive grindfest was just lurking over the horizon ready to make me really have to suffer to get more story.

...plus of course Mass Effect 3 came out about that time. ;)

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm not as excited for AC3 as I was for the others. I'm really disappointed the setting isn't Europe/Middle East. I'm not excited about a new wooden colonial city or wandering around the countyside. I want vast ancient stone buildings.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'll eventually pick it up. I hear the gameplay's much better. The first one is quite repetitive. I like the fact that this one is set during Napoleonic Era as it's an underused setting in gaming.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've never been big on completing all that stuff. I left much of the game unfinished and just powered through the storyline. I really couldn't care less about side missions or armor upgrades or finding lots of random feathers.

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Building up the town was the grindfest. All you've got left at this point is story.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

AC2 is light years better than AC1! In fact, I'd say that AC2 wins the award for all time Most Improved Sequel!

AC1 was doing the same five things over and over and over with a monotone character in an uninteresting story. AC2 had a great character, a great story, a fascinating mystery, and every mission was different! Loved it!

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah. I've never even been able to finish AC1, I just got bored with all of the repetetive missions and the story wasn't interesting enough to keep me going. AC2 on the other hand, is one of my favorite games every and I've played it almost all the way through (I do all of the side missions and story missions, but I don't go for every upgrade or every collectible) 3 or 4 times now.
    I'm really looking forward to AC3, but money is tight so I'll wait until it gets marked down some. I'll probably hang out in the thread to see what you guys have to say about it though.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

What I do is buy the game immediately, play it like crazy in a week, then sell it off on Amazon.com Marketplace and I only end up losing like ten bucks or less.

15. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

This is my most forward looked to game for the fall. I love AC and it is my second favorite game series. I hope this one is really a revamp of the series as they promised because Brotherhood and Revelations felt sort of mediocre in that there weren't any drastic changes between them and AC 2. I'm hoping AC3 will be to the franchise what AC2 was.

16. JarodRussell

I always understood Brotherhood and Revelations as simpler, easier to produce add ons to AC2 to ensure an income for Ubisoft while they were developing AC3.

17. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Brotherhood was a fantastic game, every bit as good as ACII and the assassin recruitment angle was a welcome addition. Revelations definitely felt like the formula was running out of steam, but the gameplay was still pretty solid and it gives Altair and Ezio a touching send off at the end. I adored Ezio as a character, and I'll miss him.

I really don't think it's fair to dismiss AC:B and AC:R. They may not be numbered sequels, but they're both worthy entries in the series canon.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

AssCBro and Revelations were both solid games, though I was disappointed that Revelations did little to nothing to advance the Desmond story. Also, those tower defense games were broken and annoying.

19. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tower defense was lame, but fortunately also completely avoidable (aside from the first tutorial one.) Just keep bribing heralds to keep your notoriety down and you never have to deal with it. Bombs and bomb making were a pain, I only really used them to get achievements or if a mission's full sync objective required it (I HATED the full sync thing in Bro and Rev. Let me do the mission the way *I* want to, dammit!) And adding the ability to ride a horse everywhere in Bro, only the completely remove them in Rev really sucked. But aside from those issues, they're both still good games, although 2 is still my favorite.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The only Tower Defense that I did was the first tutorial one. Other than that, I managed to play the entire game without ever encountering it again. I also never made bombs unless the game forced me to (yes, I also disliked the "Full Sync" thing).

Desmond's story is actually the part of the series that I am most interested in, and I wish more stuff took place with him in the present day.