Spoilers Arrow Season 7

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mage, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Arrow has been praised for its stunt work for years now, and its stunt coordinator James Bamford is one of the most experienced and acclaimed stunt coordinators in Canada. It makes no sense to think the show would cast its stunt performers carelessly. (And why in the world would writers be responsible for the casting of a stunt performer???)

2. Finngle Bells

Finngle Bells Vice Admiral Admiral

^Alright. Stay down and chill

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

That episode felt like a season finale. Heck I wouldn't have minded if it was a series finale. Man this season really has a season 1, 2, and 5 feel to it. That's a good thing.

4. thribs

thribs Commodore Commodore

I really enjoyed this one. Shows you how much better the show is without his annoying minions getting in the way.
    Now if only Diaz actually got rid of Felicity, it would have been perfect.

5. Christopher

I liked the redemption arc for Bronze Tiger (Turner) here. Hopefully we'll see more of him going forward. Michael Jai White has an amazing voice. On the other hand, I'm surprised to see Brick apparently killed off, since he's a member of Diaz's Longbow Hunters in the comics. I kept expecting the two of them to turn out to be in cahoots, but we only got a scene or two of them together.

The action here was as impressive as you'd expect from a James Bamford-directed episode, and they made terrific use of their cell-block set and its multiple levels in that long single-take fight scene. Still, it's hard to believe Diaz could infiltrate this maximum-security prison so easily. Wouldn't they have cameras everywhere and security checkpoints for anyone who wanted to get in? I mean, sure, the glib answer is that prison security is about keeping people from getting out, but many escape plans involve help from outside, so incoming people should be checked just as thoroughly. It would've been more credible if Diaz had had the help of the Hunters instead of just one bought-off guard.

It was a finale of sorts, for the prison arc. It seems that a number of shows lately, including Arrow last season, have started splitting their seasons into 2 or 3 shorter arcs more like cable or Netflix seasons, rather than trying to drag out a single Big Bad arc through a whole season. Last year we had the first half's arc about Cayden James and his league of villains with Diaz as a minor character, and then Diaz came to the fore as the big bad when that wrapped up. Looks like the same thing has happened here, and I suspect either the Longbow Hunters, Stanley, or both will emerge as the major threat going forward.

Anyway, it looks like next week will be about restoring things to the status quo of Ollie as Green Arrow, in time for the big switcheroo in "Elseworlds." I wonder if we'll discover the identity of New Green Arrow next week too.

6. Happy Harleydays

Happy Harleydays Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't even need to check the credits to know that he directed this one. ;)

Yeah, I also hope they do bring back Suicide Squad, since the James Gunn movie is probably some way away maybe the folks upstairs approving such things will be ok with it. It would make sense since ARGUS is also in focus this season and some shady dealings that some of the higher-ups there might be behind, so Lyla, Diggle and Curtis might want to turn to some inmates to sort the mess out...

It seems that Flash and Supergirl are also following suit this season and I think it's gonna be a good change, the writing can get more focused on things happening, rather than figuring out how to delay things happening, and if things don't work out exactly as planned you're not stuck with them the whole season. Plus, if they intend to rotate the series in the same slots again next season it would be easier to air them between mini-arcs.

Anyway, really good episode, action packed, nice acting all round, the guy playing Stanley does well going crazy scary which is good since I suspect we'll be seeing more of him. It was weird how Diggle disappeared when the shot in front of the prison panned out however. :D

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

can this please be the last we see of diaz.

Snick27, Snaploud and Romulan_spy like this.
  8. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I second that, but I also doubt it. His last shot, he was still moving a little.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Thirded. One of the worst villains in the history of TV. No hyperbole.

That's become the defining problem with this whole franchise. TPTB seem to have forgotten these types of shows only as good as the baddies. And they're all bad. And have been for a while now. (Especially Arrow).

Legends seems to be the only one that gets this (after already failing miserably at it) and is now easily the best of the bunch this year. And they've already wasted all the potential of Witwer by making the character so obnoxiously trite.

Cicada would have been cool, but they had to go and cast the boring non-descript guy from 90s teen movies.

But Diaz was easily the worst of the bunch. And it didn't help that Acevedo has the screen presence of stale guacamole.

Snick27 and Snaploud like this.
  10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I lost interest last season, and couldn't get into it after the season premiere this year. This sounds like a good place to try and pick it up again.

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus he took the Mirakuru didn't he? We haven't seen any evidence of it working yet.

I'm guessing next weeks episode (I haven't see the preview) will deal with him one last time.

12. Happy Harleydays

Happy Harleydays Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You might wanna check this one out too if you're into actiony fight scenes stuff, and even though it's the culmination of the current arc it's pretty much self contained so you don't need to watch the previous ones to understand what's going on.

Quasi-mirakuru, yeah.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. Christopher

I don't think it was specified what it was that Diaz injected himself with. I guessed it was Mirakuru, but I don't recall any followup, aside from Diaz saying here "I've gotten stronger."

Phoenix219 likes this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow the prison fight on this could almost give Daredevil's prison fight a run for it's money.
    I liked what they did with Bronze Tiger here, hopefully this isn't the last we'll see of him.
    Glad to finally see Diaz dealt with, hopefully this last we'll see of him, or at least the beginning of the end.
    Hmm, it seems like this isn't the last we'll be seeing of Stanley.

15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This week's episode was not only the best of the season thus far but is one of the best in the series period. I had a few small quibbles but for the most part I thought it was very enjoyable.

16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also thought the episode was one of the shows all-time best episodes. Only thing missing was some heavy metal or hard rock playing in the background and I am not even into heavy metal. I think this is the last we will see of the prison seeing as how they basically caught the set on fire.

Jason

17. Christopher

Fire effects like that in TV and film are designed to look more destructive than they are; after all, they need to be able to reset and do multiple takes, so the fires can't actually consume anything that isn't easily replaced. So I'm sure the set came through it fine. Indeed, even in-story, the prison was still basically intact after the flames were put out.

18. Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)

Happy X-Mas (War Is Over) If you want it Premium Member

In some shots the fire looked very staged.

19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I stopped watching last season after the crossover. Loss of interest and conflict with my work schedule. With it on a new night I am watching. Though if I miss an episode I do not always bother to watch it later.

That was a very impressive episode. It reminded me of the show I was a fan of the first two seasons. I was very pleased with Bronze Tiger’s arc this season. I remember being disappointed how he was abandoned so quickly after a few appearances nearly five years ago. It’s been a bad pattern with Arrow. Lots of publicity and hype for introducing comic book characters as guest stars who are never used long. It reminds me of Geoff Johns Smallville episodes. Every year giving The Legion, Justice Society, Booster Gold an episode. But with little follow up. Running down a checklist to include as many characters a possible.

So it’s a pleasant surprise that close to 5 years later Bronze Tiger is brought back and is made an actual character. It’s surprising Michael Jai White has not been the lead in his own superhero tv show.

It would be nice if they brought back Huntress and teamed her with Black Canary and/or Black Siren.

With a show in its 7 season it had a lot of history. It’s good for them to develop characters they already showed in the past. Instead of shoehorning in obscure new ones that most viewers have never heard of anways.

20. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, he said he'd gotten stronger when he started beating the crap out of Ollie. Its the only way Oliver underestimated the fight so badly, and most likely the only reason Diaz survives.

Kind of pissed they did away with Brick and Samson so easily, though.