Are you looking forward more to "Discovery" or "Orville?"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, May 18, 2017.

1. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

I think they both look great.

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Disco??

Is that just like saying "Ditto," but with KC & The Sunshine Band playing in the background?

ihno likes this.
  3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

USS Disco, very --- The swingingest ship in Starfleet!

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

The Kelvin timeline version of the Enterprise had a sombrero, but the Disco will have... a mirror ball and shag carpeting.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The USS Disco was probably one of the ships in the original Galactica. :p

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm equally excited for both. They're different enough that I wouldn't really consider them competition.
    It's like comparing Arrow and Powerless.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It might or might not have been reused on Buck Rogers. :shifty:

Mr. Adventure likes this.
  8. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Hm, let's see...

I love NuTrek, and DSC looks like NuTrek. I hate Seth MacFarlane's crude, juvenile humour and his tendency to plagiarise his betters. I hate everything he does with the fire of a thousand suns.

That being said, the Orville trailer made me chuckle, and I think it's charming.

Yep, I'm looking forward to both. Also, we totally have to pick sides. That's how it has to be. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! :hugegrin:

First, I have to watch Brooklyn 99, Better Call Saul, The Handmaid's Tale, and American Gods, though. :)

9. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Orville looks entertaining. The trailer for Discovery did nothing for me but I'll still be giving it a watch.

10. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm looking forward to both.

Seen the trailer for The Orville, looks really good and funny.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

DSC of course, but Orville will be a fantastic complement in the reinvigoration of the franchise. Quite a golden age of Trek in the making with both shows on at the same time, each meeting a different sensibility.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Orville looks like it has the potential to be really entertaining provided MacFarlane doesn't fall into his Family Guy-type of habits.

Meanwhile, I'm not paying for a CBS All Access subscription just to watch Discovery.

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Both trailers are alike in the sense that they are both somewhat underwhelming. They're not terrible but they're just kind of, well, at best...competent.

Obviously Discovery has higher production values, but that in and of itself doesn't compell me to watch. FX these days are sort of taken for granted. The constant gee whiz in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, for instance, or Doctor Strange before it. We've reached a point where I've largely lost the ability to be awed by spectacle alone.

The lack of a real "hook" in Discovery is something everybody seems to be saying, and with The Orville, the tone seems to be sort of half-way between serious and parody to the point where it comes across as Galaxy Quest with fewer/weaker jokes. Also, I just don't find Seth a very compelling screen presence as an actor. He just appears constantly smug and self-aware, like he's always breaking the 4th wall even when he's not. I think Tim Allen was perfect for that kind of role.

Million ways to die in the west was a bomb. So I don't think Seth has really proven himself as a live-action actor. His dialogue works best coming out of other actors' mouths (like Mark Wahlberg) or through a cartoon character that can project more interesting body language. I think Seth in live-action is best as a "personality" like Oscars host.

I'm kind of rooting more for The Orville because it has a lot of potential if they can just get the tone right.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I will probably not watch Orville because I just have never been into McFarlane's stuff. I may change my mind next year.

Discovery, right now, seems to me to be just bland and disrespectful of what came before. If they want to do a new Trek series, cut the faux prequel idea and just place something fifty years or so after the previous series. Already there seems to be a lot of disrespect to established continuity considering this is supposed to be in the original timeline.

All that said, I will watch absolutely every episode and enjoy it on whatever level I can.