Are you looking forward more to "Discovery" or "Orville?"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, May 18, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know we have all seen both teasers several times already and we will proably see them several more times again this day. In fact I know your proably looking at one of them on your phone this second while also trying to read/post in this thread as well.
    With that said which show are your currently looking forward to the most, now that we got something to judge them by or in the case of "Orville" even know it is a show that will exist. I got to admit it's "Discovery" because it is set in a trek universe, even if it's not the prime universe they keep pretending it is in. :) It's kind of hard choice because I love Seth MacFarlane and everything he has done, except the early years of "Family Guy" when it felt like a cheap copy of the "Simpsons." He is also the perfect person to be doing this show because of his love for Trek.
    I predict a long internet war to come about over which show is better, because like Trek vs Star Wars or DS9 vs Babylon 5 we fans know that is inhumanly possible to like 2 things that are similar. It's because we tend to be super smart or super stupid like me. We except no middle ground on anything!

Jason

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

After seeing the NuTrek-ish trailer for Discovery I'm leaning more towards Orville.

publiusr likes this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Discovery. I hope Orville is good, but I have my doubts. Both will get my eyeballs.

4. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Based on the trailers, they both look interesting, and I'll be checking them out. Whether or not the shows that air are any good, we'll have to wait an see. We've all seen trailers that are good and the final product turns out horrible. I like the "looks" of both of them.

shapeshifter likes this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

They both look great for different reasons. One is a lighthearted adventure with a heavy side of humor, while the other is more grounded, taking Star Trek in a new direction (at least I hope it does). The two shows are so inherently distinguishable that I don't "need" to be more excited about one over the other.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Disco, but I'll be watching every episode of both.

shapeshifter and ihno like this.
  7. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A couple of thoughts--

Based on pure entertainment potential--Orville.

This assumes that the humor is actually funny, and NOT weak. Think Galaxy Quest and not Powerless or Making History.

In the Discovery trailer, despite saying that they are in the prime universe, it doesn't "feel" like the prime universe. Why would they have the Enterprise insignia for example? Or the ridged Klingons?

And where is the optimism in the Discovery trailer? That didn't "feel" like Star Trek to me.

Plus there's the reality that nothing in that trailer made me think that I should pay to watch this show. It's really annoying that Discovery is on CBS All Access when it should be on TV or at least Netflix, which is the most popular streaming service. I understand what they are trying to do, but I'm really not interested in paying for another channel, when I already have 3 streaming services, plus cable.

It will require a lot of effort to watch Discovery free, and I don't think I'm going to bother, especially after this trailer.

Velocity and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of 50/50. Either has the potential to be amazing or terrible.

9. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will definitely check them both out. Orville looks fun and campy while Discovery looks to be more serious and dark. They are not mutually exclusive. I will probably end up watching both depending on my mood. But, whether or not, I keep watching, will depend entirely on their quality. If Orville turns out to be super lame with bad jokes, I will drop it. If Discovery turns out to be so serious and dark that it is devoid of all fun, I will probably drop it. It will really boil down to which show holds my attention and which show I enjoy watching the most.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Despite the fact that Orville is very much influenced by Star Trek, the two shows really are apples an oranges. I'm looking forward to both equally, but for different reasons.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Like the Wormhole said, apples and oranges. It's like asking which is the better spy show: AGENTS OF SHIELD or THE AMERICANS?

Both are great, but they're completely different in tone and intent.

I'm intrigued by both DISCOVERY and THE ORVILLE and will surely check out both. Don't see any need to choose a side here.

shapeshifter likes this.
  12. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I'm looking forward to both because it's possible to have room in my heart for multiple things without turning it into a popularity contest.

13. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I liked the Orville trailer a lot. I LOVED the Discovery trailer. I will most likely watch and love both for different reasons.

14. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think some of you are missing the point. Common sense thinking about how we can like both shows for what they are is not supose to be allowed on the internet. We should be at each others throats by now! Doesn't anyone understand the internet?:)

Jason

shapeshifter likes this.
  15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel like I've seen Discovery already, as if I can see exactly what it's going to be. That should probably be praise, it feels like what I would anticipate the next entry in the franchise to be, they've probably delivered exactly what many people wanted and hoped for. However, having seen hundreds of hours of Trek over the years I don't find it very stimulating, it doesn't get my juices flowing. It looks slick and polished and I'll watch it at some point and I'm sure it will be dependably competent and unobjectionable but I just don't expect it to wow me. (First World problems...)

The Orville could be really good and it just as easily might be really bad but it's the more interesting of the two to me at this moment with what we have to go on. I'm curious how it's going to be and how it will be received so I think I'm looking more forward to checking it out than Discovery even if I'm not sure it will be the better show.

mos6507 likes this.
  16. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, you sweet summer child... :)

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This.

/thread.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So you can't look forward to eating an apple more than an orange?

19. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I will definitely watch both Discovery and Orville. Although, Discovery is more exciting to me. :)

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Don't worry. We get that you were being sarcastic before.

But, yeah, the internet can be silly that way. Star Wars vs. Star Trek. Marvel vs. DC. Old Trek vs. nuTrek. Discovery vs. Orville.

They're not rival sports teams, for Pete's sake, or dueling political parties.

Balok's Decoy likes this.