Are you awesome?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Danoz, Mar 3, 2009.

?

Are you awesome?

1. I am absolutely 100% awesome.

27 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. I'm pretty sweet.

17 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. Meh. I'm me. Content.

33 vote(s)
    37.1%
  4. I don't really like me, but whatever.

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. I pretty much loathe myself.

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

In all seriousness, while I'm sure tsq might enjoy having a bunch of guys and Philo (:p) fighting over her, it goes against what she said in the how do ladies like to be treated thread.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Besides, I'm the middle-aged Professor type who's into the Arts & Sciences, so you guys might as well just go cry in your beer. :cool:

3. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

**WANKING JOKE PLACEHOLDER**

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Oh boys, I'll take you all. You can stay in my Man-Pen, with David Tennant, Hugh Jackman, and Johnny Depp (they're allowed out to make movies, occasionally).

In all seriousness, I don't mind the joking, it's when people cross the line into Creepsville, which seems to be happening a bit too much around here lately, that I get annoyed/uncomfortable -- and I think most of the ladies of the BBS (though I wouldn't presume to speak for all of them) probably feel the same way.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Admitting you're awesome is admitting almost that you have a big ego. I don't feel I have a big ego, so I'm just content.

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^I disagree. Realizing those things about yourself that are awesome has nothing to do with ego, it has to do with recognizing yourself for who you are, and acknowledging that there are aspects about you both positive and negative. Knowing oneself in such a way, I think, helps one to remember that other people also have both positive and negative traits, and that it's important to find the good in even the most difficult of individuals.

If you believe your awesomeness makes you better than other people, if you go around boasting and bragging, then you have a big ego. But if you find things within yourself that you feel good about -- aspects of your personality or behavior that you are confident in, that's not ego. Despite my post about my own awesomeness, I am in reality a humble person -- the things I've gone through taught me patience and humility at an early age. I could make a list just as long of my negative traits.

But it's more fun to list the positive ones. So, I think everyone ought to take a minute and list the things that make them awesome. Find just one thing about yourself that is genuinely cool -- everyone has something (even if they think they don't). So long as you remember that everyone else has some awesomeness about them too (however well it might be hidden), then you don't risk becoming an egotist.

7. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only loathe my physical appearance. The rest of me is fairly nifty.

8. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like your physical appearance. ;)

9. Goji

You don't get to vote. :borg:

10. ShamelessMcBundy

You can't take my vote away. :p

11. Goji

No, I can't take away something you never had. You have grasped that concept most excellently, I must say. :p

12. ShamelessMcBundy

I'll still vote. Hell this is America; i'll vote twice. :p

13. Goji

I didn't realize approval of my physical appearance was a ballot measure. Though I do live in California, it wouldn't be *that* surprising.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I have to disagree with you on this. I think that's the sign of a small, weak ego; one that can only feel important at somebody else's expense. On the other hand, somebody like me, who has an ego the size of the planet Jupiter, is secure enough to acknowledge the greatness in others and to admit that there are things I have no talent for. I can even end a sentence with a preposition and feel no embarrassment whatsoever. :cool:

15. ShamelessMcBundy

It'll be on the November Ballot and settle this issue once and for all. :p

16. Goji

I'm confident it'll be voted down. No on proposition... whatever!

17. ShamelessMcBundy

I better get going to get the necessary votes i need.

18. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I am still awesome.

19. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel very un awesome right now

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I took this question as being Awesome = everything about you is perfect. By that, there are tons of things I like about myself (If not, then self-confidence is shot to hell) but I do know things could be a lot better. Life is about striving to make things better than your current situation. There are many things I think are awesome about myself, but I would be lying if I said I was awesome.