Aquaman - The Fish Guy Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They both definitely have their fans, Alita is based on a manga and anime, which I believe were both pretty popular, and Mortal Engines is based on a bestselling YA novel. I don't know how much competition they'll be for Aquaman, but the source material, and the big names involved should get them at least some audience. I know I plan on seeing these three, and Into The Spiderverse, as close to their release dates as possible. Yeah, we'll probably be spending a lot of time at movie theater the last few weeks of the year.

3. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Extended trailer:

Kai "the spy" and Greg Cox like this.
  5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked that extended trailer a lot. I'm hoping this ends up being a decent movie.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I like it though they’re overplaying Arthur as a bit of a dumb surfer dude a little too much for my liking.

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Black Manta looked very nice indeed.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It actually looks kind of promising. The extended single-shot chase sequence was impressive.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I actually didn't want the clip to end. I am weary of the CGI fest that will inevitably clog up the 3rd act. There's always hordes of stuff flying at you that I just lose interest. I didn't get bored at the Wakanda fight in "Infinity War" though.

I think I don't like it when they do giant CGI 3rd acts is because WB has been doing that since 2013 with Man of Steel.

Zod VS Superman

3 superheroes VS doomsday

The last 15 minutes of Justice League.

Wonder Woman was smaller in scale but still had a CGI filled 3rd arc

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that was pretty neat!

I wonder if Arthur and Mera ran into Burnham and Georgiou while walking on those dunes... :D

Ovation likes this.
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, I'll be honest. Prior to that Trailer I had zero interest in this film. But the Trailer did it's job as I now want to see it. Here's hoping DC and WB start getting their act together better with these type of films.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was another great trailer.

13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that was a much better trailer than the first, but I'm still on the fence. Atlantis finally looks interesting and unique, but there's still quite a few shots that feel like cheap video game stuff (which seems to be becoming a pattern with the WB - they have eyes, right? Right?). And I still don't care for this Aquaman's personality much at all. But seeing more of Mera does seem to have potential - at the very least this could be one of those films that are worth watching for the 'sidekick' who is actually the true hero, like Valerian was.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

This is how I feel, too. If nothing else, the film will be gorgeous and colorful, but there are moments where the actors don't look like they're actually in those beautiful settings, especially underwater.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

For me, The Abyss ruined any subsequent movies that faked actors being underwater. Weirdly, The Abyss was one of four underwater movies that came out in 1989, and the only one that actually filmed underwater rather than faking it with wires and smoke, and that was part of the reason it was so much more successful. (I remember a run of Starlog issues that did stories on Deepstar Six, Leviathan, and The Abyss one after the other and gave them parallel titles, table-of-contents blurbs, and page compositions to poke fun at the similarity. They skipped Roger Corman's Lords of the Deep, though.) This Den of Geek article talks about the non-Abyss films from that year, throwing in an extra one from early 1990.

Leto_II and The Nth Doctor like this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't wait until December 14. This looks like a lot of fun.

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Each subsequent trailer makes me more pessimistic about this.

I'm not really interested in Aquaman, but I like Momoa a lot and I've enjoyed if not loved most of the other DC movies. I'm not expecting much from this one...

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Looks great but Aquaman is a hard sell + The DC Worlds (or whatever they call it) is already on life support so this movie could easily bomb.

19. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

DC and WB got their act together . . . during their first four movies.

"On life support"? The DC franchise only had one movie that under performed and it has three other movies up for release, aside from "Aquaman". I really don't see how it's on life support. When will the media and the public stop acting like a bunch of drama queens when it comes to the DC franchise?

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not in my opinion they didn't.

Relayer1 and Turtletrekker like this.