Aquaman - The Fish Guy Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jun 13, 2018.

1. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like it's not the "past" anymore. :techman:

Greg Cox and Skipper like this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the cover of one of the recent issues of Aquaman:
    [​IMG]

What do you mean with "costume from the past"..?

He is wearing some variation of the orange costume from even before the New 52...

--edit for using the wrong word...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^ I think you mean recent issues. I thought his book had been cancelled for a moment, or DC killed him off.

Skipper likes this.
  4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Bast and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, you are right! Thank you!

6. The Realist

LJones41 consistently rails against the traditional. Classic costumes, classic musical themes, classic characterizations -- it's all dismissed contemptuously as "nostalgia shit." One might question the logic of embracing established characters while rejecting everything that actually identifies and defines them as those characters, but one would get nowhere.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Aquaman????
    The book in the middle of a big crossover with the Justice League title and a new creative team is set to take over in a few months.

Greg Cox likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love that they're finally bringing in the traditional costume for Aquaman. The armor he was wearing in Justice League as pretty cool, but not the same.

Greg Cox likes this.
  9. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I don't care if the costume is from the past, the present or the future. I don't think the costume suits Momoa. They should have stuck with his costume from "Justice League".

Why do so many people insist, today, on being so fucking traditional? Jesus! Can't they learn to embrace something new or non traditional? What am I saying? Of course not. We're now living in the age of mediocre conformity.

10. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

The tie-in book "Aquaman: Arthur's Guide to Atlantis" includes a letter from Queen Atlanna to her son, which has made it to Twitter.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. LJones41

You're damn right I do.
    I don't see why I should feel ashamed for disliking nostalgia shit. I dislike it. In fact, my dislike of nostalgia - especially in movies, television and novels - is something I am more than willing to express over and over again. I don't mind admiring an old movie, an old TV series, an old novel or an old piece of music. I just don't think that today's artists and storytellers should rehash it over and over again and present it as something new.

And if longing for more originality over the nostalgia is something I'm supposed to disregard, then all I can only say that I believe pop culture is truly in a deep mire of shit.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am several months behind on Justice League. I haven't started reading the new series, but I no there is the Drowned World event. I know that Aquaman would not be killed off permanently by DC but it certainly seemed possible that this event would be a place to kill off a major character.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No one major has died yet. And Arthur is front and center in the Aquaman solicitations after Drowned Earth, so if someone is being killed it ain't him.

14. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, killing the character a month before his movie comes out would seem like a weird thing to do.

Greg Cox likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw one of the trailers in the theaters for the first time when I went to see The Crimes of Gridlewald this morning, and while I thought Atlantis looked good on my computer, that was nothing compared to how it looked on the big screen.
    IMO there's a difference between "nostalgia" and carrying over the recognizable elements of something you're adapting. I'm not one of those people who expects every adaptation to exactly recreate everything in the source material, but you should at least carry over enough regonizeable elements of it that you can see it in the adaptation. One of the best ways to do that with superhero is with the characters appearance and/or costume. Some adaptations, like the early X-Men movies can get away with not using the costume since they still bring over other recognizble visual elements, like Xavier being bald, Cyclops's visor, Storm's white hair, and a less exagerated version of Wolverine's hair. When they go with as drastically different an appearance as the DCEU Aquaman has, bringing in the traditional costume is a good idea.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Also because the X-Men have had multiple different costume designs over the years. It's not like Superman or Spider-Man where there's (mostly) a single definitive look.

Greg Cox likes this.
  17. LJones41

I don't think the traditional Aquaman costume doesn't suit Momoa visually. Which makes me wonder if this was the reason why Snyder had a different costume designed for him. If so, he made the right choice, because the "traditional" Aquaman costume looks odd on Momoa.

Why does this have to be about tradition? Why does everything have to be about tradition in pop culture these days? It seems as if a lot of "artists", readers, moviegoers and TV viewers have lost their balls when it comes to originality. Why are people so afraid of artistic and pop culture originality?

18. The Realist

If "originality" were paramount, they wouldn't be adapting established characters and properties in the first place. But since it's apparently the be-all and end-all to you, why watch adaptations and franchise entries at all?

Turtletrekker and CaptainMurdock like this.
  19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Dam :techman:

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  20. LJones41

You're right. Why should I bother watching these movies and television shows that are clearly incapable of being original? Thank you for reminding me. I'll just avoid them in the future and continue to harbor contempt toward the lack of originality in pop culture.