Contest: ENTER April 2024 Fan Art Challenge — Inspired by Laura

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Michael, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Welcome to the 225th TrekBBS Fan Art Challenge! This months theme, as chosen by the community, is:

Looking forward to see everyone's entries and, indeed, seeing what I can make of a design myself.

The Rules
    • the artwork you submit should be created during the month of the challenge
    • only one final image can be submitted (although it may contain multiple views)
    • your final entry should be posted in this thread (although dedicated WIP threads are appreciated)
    The winner gets to sport the “Art Challenge Winner” banner below their name for the following month and has the honor of hosting January's challenge.

[​IMG]

You have until Tuesday, April 30th to post your final entry in this thread. If you have any questions or if you need more time, just let us know in this thread. :)

By the way, you can suggest and later vote on May’s contest theme here!

Good luck and have fun! I'm looking forward to your ideas!

2. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I'm still dithering over which design to elaborate on, but I'm hopeful that I'll have made a decision by tomorrow (I'm leaning towards #57: "stuck with plungers") - then I need to decide how I'm going to portray/display it [​IMG]
    I hope everyone else is better at making decisions than I am?!

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

It doesn't help that I've added a new one since. :lol:

Cyfa likes this.
  5. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Oh, I've just seen it - and it's another good one! You're making my decision more difficult! [​IMG] [​IMG]

publiusr likes this.
  6. Laura Cynthia Chambers

I'll hold off on making and/or posting any more until after the entries are in.

7. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I've got something slapped together and ready to go (posted in my art thread), but if I can beg another day (hopefully less), I'm hoping to come up with something with a bit more finesse.

8. Michael

Absolutely! Take another day or two, no problem at all. I’m hoping to put the finishing touches on my submission tonight and will post that then or tomorrow. Do we have someone else working on something too for this? @Starscape, did you whip something up for this? :)

Cyfa likes this.
  9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have an idea on one and might submit one as well for tomorrow.

Cyfa and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

Awesome! Looking forward to what you have in mind. Just let me know if you need any more time. :)

blssdwlf likes this.
  11. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Google image searching some of my art is interesting - a lot of diagrams come up (not mine, and I had never seen them before)

12. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the time or the creative energy for this one. :borg:

It's been very cool watching everyone else working on their entries, though. :bolian:

Michael likes this.
  13. blssdwlf

If possible, could I get one more day to texture the model :) ? Only got a chance to work on it at night and have the basic model built out.

Michael likes this.
  14. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I found some time to clear my head today and discovered I felt like I might just be able to contribute a quick, minimalist something...

Inspired by Laura's Design #21 (link):

[​IMG]

EDIT: Colour tweak.
    EDIT2: last update, I promise. ;)

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    Michael, blssdwlf, Cyfa and 1 other person like this.
  15. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I have spent too long unsuccessfully trying to work out what this ship looks like from the front, rear, and underneath, and nowhere near enough time actually trying to finish the side view (I even started working on an MSD for some reason! [​IMG] [​IMG]), which is why the finesse I mentioned on Thursday went out the window. This is as good as it's going to get for now. Sorry, Laura.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT 05/05/2024: Swapped image.

Firebird, Michael, blssdwlf and 2 others like this.
  16. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Don't apologize. This is awesome!

Michael and Cyfa like this.
  17. Michael

Absolutely, yes! I’m so glad to see that this inspired you to create a piece. And peaking at the WIP in your thread I think the result is intriguing. Looking forward to the finished version. :)

@Starscape, how cool that you found some time to whip something up after all! Love the minimalist style of your piece. It reminds me a bit of the Search For Spock poster with how the ship’s features are hinted at in much the same way as Spock’s features on the poster. Very nice.

@Cyfa, I think that’s brilliant, honestly! I’m not sure the antenna array would ultimately have survived the design process before this arrived on the screen, but it sure is interesting. That you even included and OSD is perfect! Although, there’s just one thing that I’m missing in this: In the sketch you posted earlier in your thread you had included the registry version LCC-xxxx, which I thought was genius, considering who’s design inspired your sketches.

Here’s my finished submission: May I present the L’ra, an Ankh class scout ship of Cardassian design, inspired by @Laura Cynthia Chambers’ design #24. There’s also a handful more renderings here.

[​IMG]

blssdwlf, Firebird, Cyfa and 2 others like this.
  18. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

~ Aaargh! I can't believe I forgot to include it. I'm going to change it now.

EDIT: Image swapped.

Michael and blssdwlf like this.
  19. blssdwlf

I hope I am not too late... here is my entry based on Laura's ship design #18. :)

[​IMG]

Michael, Starscape, tax1234 and 2 others like this.
  20. Michael

Sorry for the delay, guys! I just didn’t get around to posting the voting thread sooner. However, it’s now finally up here.

Thank to all who entered the contest! And also, thanks again to @Laura Cynthia Chambers for letting us play with her toys. :)