Anyone pick up a NES mini today? Or planning on getting one eventually?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aldo, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

There are licensing issues with Perfect Dark, too, as it was part of the IP Microsoft acquired when it bought Rare. It's not the multi-headed fire-breathing dragon that is the licensing clusterfuck around GoldenEye 007, but it's still a game that Nintendo can't touch.

2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

How did Goldeneye become such a mess with licensing?

3. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

1. GoldenEye is a movie tie-in game.
    2. It was made by Rare.
    3. It was a Ninteno 64 game.
    4. Activision currently holds the James Bond license.
    5. Rare was bought by Microsoft.

4. Gingerbread Demon

OK that sounds messy.

I guess that's like why some TV shows have never made it to DVD.

For years I wanted 7 Days but they are in such a mess with who owns the rights to the show, and all the music they used in the show, as they used actual songs by their original artists through the series. Plus the rights to the show have changed hands several times.

5. Timby

Eh, you're sort of right. The way it shakes out is that through its ownership of Rare, Microsoft owns the actual intellectual property to GoldenEye 007, as in the design, the levels, the actual source code, all that stuff. What complicates things is not that it was a Nintendo 64 game--after all, there were N64 games like Blast Corps, Bad Fur Day and Banjo-Kazooie on the Rare Replay disc released for the Xbox 360--but that it was published as a second-party title, which is to say that while Rare owned the game, Nintendo owned, and owns, the actual publishing and distribution rights to the game. Further complicating things is that the Bond game rights reverted to EON a couple of years ago, and right now it's not inclined to do anything with those rights, as it's still preoccupied with finding a new distribution partner for the movies (or potentially selling the franchise altogether).

Where Activision came into play was like a decade or so ago, when Rare had developed a remaster of GoldenEye 007 with the idea of releasing it on Xbox Live Arcade. At that time, Activision did have the Bond license, so Microsoft had to work out a deal there (and eventually Activision agreed to a one-time lump sum payment). Microsoft went to Nintendo with the same offer, but somewhere along the way, someone (and stories conflict on this; some say it was Nintendo of Japan, some say it was NOA proper) dropped a stink bomb and demanded an ongoing royalty as a percentage of sales, as opposed to a one-time fee. Basically, Nintendo knew that putting GoldenEye 007 on Xbox Live would be a license to print money. After months of negotiations, the whole thing fell apart.

Coincidentally, that whole process is how we wound up with that awful GoldenEye-skinned Call of Duty game on the Wii: Nintendo saw how hard Microsoft pushed to make a deal, realized there was money being left on the table, and went to Activision and Eurocom and said, "Hey, let's try something."

Robert Maxwell likes this.
  6. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

The SNES mini could have been perfect if only it had included the games Dungeon Master (actually a port of an Atari ST/Amiga game) and SimCity.

Alejandro likes this.
  7. Timby

I don't know, SimCity was pretty painful to play without a mouse.

Drop Secret of Mana and replace it with Chrono Trigger, and swap Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for Turtles in Time (yes, I know that would be a licensing nightmare) or Mortal Kombat II, and now we're talking.

8. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

Secret of Mana was my main reason for buying my SNES. I love that game. :D

9. Mr Soak

The NES and SNES minis are being rereleased in July.

Does the AC adaptor work with any region system? I’ve got a local SNES and adaptor and am thinking about getting some Japanese units.

10. mthompson1701

mthompson1701 Commander Red Shirt

I managed to order an NES Classic Mini this time. I'm not going to believe that I actually have it until it's here, I've opened it and on level 23 of Super Mario Brothers. From what I can tell ti's selling very well. The retailer I got it from won't have any to ship again until around July 20. It was also a sale for Amazon Prime members only and it's already gone there, but they do have a waitlist.

I got the SNES Classic Mini for Christmas last year, and it's still a lot of fun to play.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought they were all USB ports so it didn't matter what version you bought?

12. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

trying hard to find one today but still no luck, got an email from Thinkgeek but they were out by the time I was able to click. Determined to find one for standard retail price, refuse to pay the marked up cost just because Im to slow to click

13. Mr Soak

Yeah, they are. You just need to buy the wall plug separately. It’s just that small possibility of not being compatible, and I really don’t want to fry the system.

EDIT - I checked a couple of boxes and they say they just need a plug that outputs 5V/1A via USB, so That's good.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  14. Gingerbread Demon

Not NES but I found an Atari flashback console with LCD screen. It's for the old Atari 2600 on Amazon.

There's other versions for Sega Genesis and such so much choice.

15. ItIsGreen

ItIsGreen Captain Captain

Missed out on the NES Mini the first time around and wasn't going to pay scalper prices, but I picked one up today. Got the SNES Mini on release (learned from my mistake).

With regard to the above discussion on which games were included, both systems were hacked not long after they were released (a much easier feat for the SNES mini since the motherboards are virtually identical) and there's a tool to load rom files onto them. A small percentage of games aren't compatible, but most work fine and there's enough space for a few hundred roms. I've got the awful DS9 game and Starfleet Academy on my SNES Mini.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was on Gamestop.com for something totally unrelated and saw the NES classic on the front page, clicked and ordered one, wanted two but it would only do one. I'll see if it actually arrives, lol.

17. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Got to see some at a couple of stores. It was a nice change of pace from the first time when I didn't see any.

18. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

stock has finally started to appear on some retailers sites up here in Canada. ! Just got a confirmation from my local bestbuy that they have one on hold now for me ; So excited , going to play until my hands hurt tonight :D

19. Alejandro

Alejandro Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There are videos on youtube that explain how to add more games to your SNES mini. I didn't try that yet.

I bought my SNES mini 4 months ago here in Europe. Love DK country, Super Mario World and Mario kart. Classic games of my childhood.