Anyone pick up a NES mini today? Or planning on getting one eventually?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aldo, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

After hitting up Target only to be told they were sold out, I went to Best Buy where the line was short, but saw that people were getting redemption tickets. Thinking I missed my chance, the Best Buy clerk came out and I got a redemption ticket (17 of 19, to be exact, so I got real lucky).

This thing is really neat. It's just the same as playing the games on the Wii (or WiiU)'s virtual console. You can save up to four games so that's perfect for me who's going to use this to finally beat Zelda 2, and maybe Metroid as well. The cord is only about 2 feet so that makes it really hard to play. While they do offer extensions, you shouldn't have to pay another ten dollars for something Nintendo should have done in the first place. That's really my only gripe about it though, the line up of games is pretty diverse, though they have some weird entries (Pac-Man, really?).

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aaaah, didn't realize it came out today. The worst part is having to try to compete with all the eBay scalpers who I'm sure are going to be out for this.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Nintendo's pretty much mastered the art of manufactured scarcity at this point. (See: Amiibos, the original Wii.)

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I literally just learned about this today, only to find that it's sold out everywhere except for ebay, where all the greedy fucking scalpers are selling this $60 device for five grand. This is like Pepsi Perfect times 100. Unbelievable.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I thought you were kidding about the 5000 dollar eBay listing. I can't believe someone would think that was a good idea.

6. Hippocrates Noah

Hippocrates Noah Commander Red Shirt

I'll just keep playing ROMs.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I've put it on my "dumb nostalgic fun" Christmas list. If I don't get it, I can get it later.

9. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Might pick one up when I can. There's some games on there I've never had the chance to play.

10. Mr. Adventure

Yeah, it's silly but I was hoping to get one for my sister who was excited about it and wanted to play some old faves. If worse comes to worse I may buy one of those Retron NES systems for $20 and a few old carts, she really just wants to play Super Mario. It'd be nicer and easier than trying to figure out a ROM situation. Hopefully, the bubble will burst on this before it comes to that. I'd like one myself for fun but I have more options.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Want to get one for a friend for Christmas but sold out everywhere. I see Nintendo are doing there shitty holding back stock shtick they always seem to do.

12. Mr. Adventure

Maybe the short supply is supposed to be part of the Nintendo nostalgia. :p

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

At the risk of not only appearing ignorant, but actually being it... :lol:

...how does one use a device like this with a widescreen TV?

I mean, obviously you can connect it to one, since it has a HDMI output. But games this old don't actually exist IN widescreen - so either you would have to use it in 'stretch' mode, or sidebox it (i.e. the image itself is in 4:3 with black bars on the sides), amirite? And if you sidebox, there's the very real risk of burn-in...

14. Mr. Adventure

Do you have a plasma TV? I haven't worried about burn in since monochrome monitors a lifetime ago. Anyway, from what I've read it has an as-is pixel perfect mode, a 4:3 mode, and a "CRT mode" with scanlines but I don't see anything about stretching the games. I haven't played any of these on virtual console on the Wiis but I imagine the same problem would have existed there.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

They were sold out, so I will have to wait. It's a shame there was no way to pre-order. *sigh*

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

There is no stretch mode. Just as you said, it has those three modes and I keep it on "CRT mode" that's definitely my preferred way to play.

I actually got on my computer to reply to Mr. Laser Beam but you beat me to it :) It's all good though.

17. Mr. Adventure

If it's any consolation you beat me to getting an actual unit.:p

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I'm getting the Super Famicom Mini when it comes out.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Oh, if an SNES mini comes out, I will take on a busload of nuns to get to it. Seriously, Nintendo should have allowed for pre-orders.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  20. mthompson1701

mthompson1701 Commander Red Shirt

I'm in the same boat, I wasn't able to get one. I was refreshing the page on Amazon actually got it to let me add it to the cart only it didn't add to cart. I got an error message. Kept going back and trying, but by the time the page came back up they were all sold out. I'm not getting my hopes up to get one before Christmas now. I wish there was a way I could've preordered it.