AndyP's Trek building thread

Looking great, very clean!

Thanks! I'm trying my best with this build to stay with the subsurf method of modeling where I model the ship lower poly and use subdivision surface to get it up to the full poly count. I'm also trying to avoid Booleans wherever possible, so that I can maintain edge loops for a cleaner mesh topology.

Another tiny update since it's Friday

I reworked the upper lip around the deflector today. I also added some color materials to make the ship feel more like the actual ship. I added a basic rib texture to the phaser strips, but I am not really liking them. I've also added the yellow details on the nacelles. I also attempted to model the panel detailing on the deflector, but no matter what I did it looked terrible so it's still just flat.

I feel like I have the basic shape just about right. After this I will start modeling the hull lines. Eventually textures. I am already regretting to topology I used for the saucer. I am happy with shape, but it does not match the topology of the hull plating.

Anyways, happy weekend, here are some pictures:
WaLL_5Pb6T3UWuINwvi4dv7FbpK_3cEe7jQmdOjx21G9UrtkChMksU6KrCjLsCTIBfSnFy3wWAtUJ_aOCofaYk1CGUhB3pgI9qJe5wggPb-QCunMT14TejkJdhNZnzSbbQqqRnED9Q=w2400

3pDkI-sqazuReMaKRhzNdEKAVfXFkLnSPnEL8o5nHgtn8Z1e0uUz8QLOME7w0kiNX6jB3W-qyUQrK5FEg6udOfY9_NfGsz9h-YP3l_X648NJP0lRFj4F8HH7ZepvGP_yRe2orFEyEw=w2400

IMO the Enterprise-D has aged much better than her successor (and I say this with towering respect and love to the great John Eaves).

Please keep this up Andy; you are definitely doing her justice. The angle in that last image in particular… chef’s kiss.

@Bernard Guignard, @Santaman Thanks!

@Professor Moriarty I mean I love the sovy too, but it's just not as majestic. more of a military design. It was also designed in mind that CGI was the future. Even the physical model had a more basic paint job to it.

Happy Friday everyone!

This week I started working on where the upper saucer molds into the stardrive section. I also fixed up some edges on the warp nacelles, and then tweaked the topology near the aft torpedo bay to make it cleaner.

The biggest part of this update, I started working on the Aztec textures! I'll go into more detail in a future update as I have some place to be in an hour.

RRzArqydA73PXQiP68_TZ945bxqW2LqWmoR4S3l6M4UPatGECCsqsu3CosoNjbu-p9PxM8bsNSKqLfvfsm0jkSV1HoIMt0Cd3ue1K9BENeJMNRP0s7kqlVN-G5AZgNeSlolKiNxV3A=w2400

EDPAcC67B9ERWe2myyhsZFc10CBPPjiRBxN7BSHvbYTmHgJo_Qz4XZSbOO2u2KgpVgx2EwFKVE_su6QovcEJU1KjBXNZidEUjVpGYahbFIF2eOjQdumC29fkwWL4NTxVmydfWWBISQ=w2400

Not sure why, but I felt compelled to post an update tonight. :lol:

I've started working on the aztec pattern on the lower saucer, as well as the stardrive. I've also decided to do the hull lines via texture for the time being. I've modified my approach to how the lines impact the material, I'm happy with the result for the time being. I will for sure be modeling the windows.
dJahjPLkKsNzVgvvKGQ0tv0FNLR2VHrzNOlyMwhNiaNEyf6bzWXf8KK_cae2Dq9dva_2VWz6P1RSC8qTQDOSDJXJxzklDrTe63CDP1cEpFqipr7kQsJoTy2k4rc8_TVJlQLmykp_9g=w2400

96F_dsMggkauT4wi3VIaUQ3nPUjVB0WC4N71MUBvfILydJbIO3GBKH-_HFZ49A3dEGS_zFt3On_dNKfJ0pxjeJYm7cYb6LH3r9e1mqNDjR5MaqvEJzOAfaXTVyQPNJYINmcuVZM4gQ=w2400

QgAgS1xBvk-Kd24PWRAFReY0dhfYnlC3pMrxmazYem-OitH_4kc-AgFQb2gf7X1E1dzd9eskkczewoaqAg-RCX4liZ2lEIJ0l3oBAT5wruEuvkQwB46wlFDFxIUuFyAK7zH4_HoBkA=w2400

I like the "D" a lot more than the "E" just a personal preference..
Anyway, this is already looking very nice. :mallory::techman:

The E has grown on me but there was no need for it. The D looked fine on the big screen.

I like the contrast when seen together though. The E does look a lot faster.

Love it! A lot more colorful and interesting to look at than the bland beige that plagued Berman-era productions.

Back