AndyP's Trek building thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by batboy853, Dec 10, 2020.

1. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

Okay with more prints posted of the viewscreen, I was able to get it modeled closer to the on-screen appearance, I say closer because this thing seems to be confusing and perplexing unless you see it in person...

Also side note: looks like google images is compressing my images, so apologies on image quality. I will need to look into a new image host.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

Looks great now! :D

3. batboy853

Oh forgot to mention, I removed the sixth ribs in the ceiling that was closest to the view screen, and removed for S2.

Right now the set should match pretty closely to what was seen for S3 on wards. I think I forgot to do the battle bridge turbo lift area, so I'll go back and do that. After that need to do some lcars here and there.

4. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

Did you make the ready room door the same height as the turbolift on purpose?

5. batboy853

Ahh yes that is one exception I've made with the this build so far...

Can anyone explain the reasoning as to why that door and only that door has the 1 inch height difference?

Is it because Johnathan Frakes was super tall?

6. Rekkert

No idea, I asked Mike Okuda about it once and even he didn't know why it was done :lol:

7. Lt. Washburn

My theory involves the ready room side being built that way and rather than fix it, they just altered the alcove side. The ready room side has that light panel over the door that was also wonky, it wasn't lit initially and then they built a bumpout version that was lit. So perhaps problems with clearing the pocket door hardware. Why didn't that present an issue with the side door too? Well, they left it shut initially, and I don't think the other side of that wall was ever finished, so not as much of an issue.

Also, if you compare it to the ready room side door, they are different. The side door has no beige top plate, but the entrance door does. I counted the little details on the molding once and I think they were different...but I can't remember for sure. Also, even if Riker was too tall for the door, why only alter this door and none of the others? I could have sworn I saved a screencap showing Riker in the door and it would have been fine.

Rekkert likes this.
  8. Rekkert

Yeah that could be it, the blueprints have all doors at the same height, so it must have been a decision done during construction. It's a tight fit between the ready room door and the bridge wall with the little replicator, so maybe they needed the bulky light panel up top to hide stuff all other doors had at the sides. No idea how those actually worked so it's just a guess.

9. batboy853

@Rekkert @Lt. Washburn yeah that makes sense. I guess I'll add it to my version of the set to make it more screen accurate when I am able to.

Life updates: I have accepted a new role at a different organization. My new position is Deskside Team lead, meaning that I'll be leading a team of people who do what I do currently, and get paid more. It's not my dream job, which I am not sure I know what my dream job is.... Doing star trek 3d stuff i suppose. Because the new job is 100% in office, I am not sure how much time I will be able to get away with for working on 3d things, so updates might start to slow down. I start the new role October 31st.

Updates since last posting:
    I textured the Tactical station on the Galaxy bridge. But had a DOH! moment... I forgot to save the central file, when I cannibalized it for the side graphics. Meaning I'll need to recreate the middle graphics.
    I added the spotlight above the captain's chairs per @Rekkert 's recommendation

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've spent the past two days in office at my current company retraining one of the other members on the team to do the things we normally do in office. The past 3 years I've been the only person going into the office on a weekly basis. Today I got to the point where I did not really have much to do, and did not have my drive with project data on it so I started working on something new, the TNG conference room.

I based the measurements off of what is seen on this image noting that there are some differences between the final set piece and what was put on paper. Chances are more than likely that I will be remodeling every thing I did today with more accurate measurements, and at a fraction of the time. :D

On the topic of the conference room, are these measurements posted on this Picard graphic accurate?

[​IMG]

Redgeneral, Rekkert, Nays and 3 others like this.
  10. batboy853

Progress on the Observation lounge. Remodeled just about everything. I think the measurements are closer? I'm still going off of small amount of what I can find on the blueprints I linked yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Lt. Washburn

Another interesting thing on those plans is that they have it alternately labeled as a bar. Interesting that we could have gotten that in S1 before Ten Forward was built.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  12. Rekkert

Great progress on the bridge and that lounge's looking good! I feel it's a bit too curved, but I'm sure that's just down to the wide camera angle used.

Minor nit-pick, but if you're going for the TNG look, both sets seem a bit cold to me right now, the walls are too yellow instead of beige, could be either the materials or the lighting (or both).

Regarding the 'bar' lounge, I'm not finding it right now, but there's a somewhat obscure Probert concept piece of the lounge with the bar and seats all along the edge below the windows, would've been cool but weirdly casual for an officer's meeting place.

Lt. Washburn likes this.
  13. batboy853

@Lt. Washburn I'd love to see that as well

@Rekkert as far as colors.... It's possible. I've never been that great at matching colors from what's seen on screenshots so it's a guesstimate.

Camera's are 35mm to match filming focal length. I just tried to line it up with a directors plan (scaling it to match the sizes listed on the image)and there are some discrepancies, assuming this drawing is accurate. The room should be more curved, and not as wide.

[​IMG]

14. batboy853

Modeled the conference room table and chairs. I think I made the table too wide. And the furniture feels small compared to the rest of the room....

The Chairs I modeled based off of two I found online.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Great work, also I absolutely believe that getting everything right is a huge task.

16. Rekkert

Great progress! Yeah the furniture was really small compared to the room, on TNG you'll notice the table is often moved to one side of the room to have it close to one of the screens, and on the same scene different shots will have the table moved around. The TNG Interactive TM panoramas make this painfully obvious, as the table was left centered on all the photographs. The room was clearly sized for the original concept with the bar and lounge seating, not so much for a conference room. :lol:

BK613 and Redgeneral like this.
  17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

No ships on the walls...

batboy853 likes this.
  18. batboy853

@WARE-Wolf I'm going for the version of the room we see in the later seasons... More generic, this way it can be the observation lounge for any galaxy class ship or similar build. :wink:

I'll be honest, I never liked the basic wood panel ship wall from the earlier seasons.

@Rekkert I guess I never noticed the furniture being arranged differently, I'll have to pay closer attention to it the next time I binge watch the show.

publiusr and Rekkert like this.
  19. Rekkert

20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the ready room couch being a hide-a-bed...