Andorians confirmed?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Shalashaska, Aug 8, 2016.

1. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

"Simpsons did it!"

SPCTRE and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Dominion War was fantastic, but that was due to the five years of build up. Even Game of Thrones started with The Seven Kingdoms at peace. Let's start off with a peaceful Federation and the Discovery exploring strange new worlds and see where things go from there.

3. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Speaking as someone who really liked the Dominion War arc, I would dearly love this show to have no wars at all.

As for the makeup test, are we not a little early on for background aliens? Would this suggest this is a main character?

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still reminds me of a plant rather than the Andorians. The angle feels wrong.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Confirmed" is probably too strong a word.

More like "Hinted."

6. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

If they do include an Andorian I hope they make the four sexes canon :bolian:

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Didn't Enterprise pretty much ignore that?

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I pretty much ignore Enterprise so it balances out :lol:

uniderth and mos6507 like this.
  10. Go-Captain

Go-Captain Captain Captain

If they use the TOS style Andorian makeup, I hope they also include all the other styles. It would offer more customization to each actor's qualities, and create more surface variation. Besides, the Klingons have diverse head ridge makeup so it would be nice to see other species get the same treatment.

However, if those are Andorian antenna they do not look mobile like the ones in ENT. I want to see mobile antenna for Andorians regardless of which style they go for. Then again, mobile versus non-mobile could be yet another variation.
    I think Enterprise might have mentioned the four part marriages like TNG, but never four sexes.

jamestyler likes this.
  11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there an orange/bronze brand of Andorians who appeared in an old board game?

12. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

Yes, it was never canon and only ran with based off one sentence in TNG and the fact the makeup has never been constant

13. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Season 5? I must have missed it I guess.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think Enterprise even acknowledged the marriage groups of four. At the very least, Shran only seemed to be with one partner at a time.

15. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

Here's to hoping it's a birth of the Federation series with Captain Shran. Please oh please oh please...

jamestyler likes this.
  16. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    Well, in "Data's Day" it was never made explicit as to what the roles of the four participants required actually were. (After all, someone might describe certain human weddings as "requiring groups of five people": the two being married, the one presiding over marrying them, and two to witness it.) Also, Data was about to specify circumstances that would not require such groups of four when he was interrupted, leaving it unknown as to what those exceptions may be:

"Andorian marriages require groups of four people, unless..."

In the script, the line actually continues for one more word, which still doesn't really tell us for sure:

"Andorian marriages require groups of four people unless two---"

But we could even interpret that as meaning a group of two is a generally accepted alternative to a group of four.

In any case, though, I'd be more than happy to have four-gendered Andorians in DSC. It could certainly be an interesting exploration of gender concepts that go beyond a simple male/female binary, and would be something that could lead to discussion about this issue with respect to humans as well. It might be a way of working more LGBTQIA issues into the show, and might provide additional casting opportunities for LGBTQIA actors. (Not that such representation should be at all limited to alien characters rather than human ones, of course.)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Zonker, Michael and CorporalCaptain like this.
  17. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

It might be easier CGI'ing it. I don't know for certain, I've barely evolved from pen and paper so my knowledge is limited, but I've seen first hand the technical difficulties the puppetry machinery doohickys can cause. So maybe that could be part of the CGI enhances. At a (probably wrong) guess.

Or it could just be stock antennae as placeholders to check the look before making it move (why make a complex thing for a basic design you're not finalising?).

I'm putting more thought into this than I should before lunch.

19. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's say it's a female, non-white actor for Captain. Then at least having them play an alien, like an Andorian, sets the character apart from any immediately drawn comparisons to Janeway or Sisko.

20. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, as maybe my profile picture gives away, I would immensely be pleased by an Andorian presence in the new series ;)

That being said, I was never a big fan of the whole "four genders" theory. It seems ridicously complicated, and not very biologically sound. Especially it complicates things when we already could identify two genders very clearly (male and female), that were treated in a very traditional way, and never any canon hints af "another" two genders.

That being said, the concept of a "traditional four-way marriage" is interesting. It would help defining marriage more as a social construct, than a "god-given" one. The same way we already have different marriage traditions on earth (inuit and certain indigenious people come to mind). Perhaps the "traditional" Andorian marriage comes from a four-way hunter-gathering community, in which the death of one member would still allow the whole "marriage group" to survive and produce more offsprings. And that "two-way"-marriages are the hot, new thing Andorians do too rebel against their parents :D