Spoilers An overview of Season 2 set changes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Yep. During Generations at least. That bridge needed more stations anyway. Too sterile during the TV run.

2. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I probably wouldn't use the bridge toilet facilities for a number 2. Only one cubicle and i don't 18 people knowing when i last took a dump.

Picard had a good set up though. I wonder if he was ever like, 'excuse me number 1, i need to go number 2'

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard? No. Patrick Stewart? Absolutely.

Agony_Boothb likes this.
  4. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I thought the Captain had his own loo in the ready room?

Never mind, I see that he does on that bridge blueprint.
    :techman:

5. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

its probably been mentioned but Lorca's gallery of horrors was located on the secondary hull, port side, if I remember correctly.

6. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They hired these guys:

The blinkies job was child's play.

7. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking at this and trying to make sense of it.

They've got a crew count of roughly 140, and multiple mess halls. But I've been getting the sense that the ship's meant for a larger crew count than it's been given anyway...

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily - remember in the first episode we saw the Discovery she was supposed to be chock full of various labs and research facilities <--- And that will take up a lot of internal space.

Hell, the 1701-D was supposedly 12 times the size of the original 1701 - yet the 1701 held a crew of 430 while the 1701 held a crew of 1014
    ^^^
    12X the size but only about 2 1/2 times the crew compliment.

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk's old ship is the one where Jadzia Dax specifically remarked how they used to pack 'em tight in ye olden days ("Trials and Tribble-ations"). Was that ship (or ship type) always an exception, even back in her day?

That the Discovery would be rattling empty is a possibility. Burnham was forced to bunk together with Tilly for ulterior reasons, apparently; nobody commenting on such reasons or finding the bunking dubious is not indication of anything much, as Lorca played his crew against each other and there really wasn't much of a camaraderie or mutual positive interest of other sorts.

For some reason, the lowly Culber was seen a lot, another doctor a couple of times, and the mysterious CMO never. Signs of a "large" medical crew scaled for a ship with an "abnormally absent" general crew? Or just a side effect of all the ongoing research, so that the CMO was heavily involved in it and had a large team for it? Or perhaps most of it was so risky that somebody was always down for the count, getting subspace tentacles extracted from his cranium or treated for hormonal space rabbit bites or whatnot?

All the top secret stuff going on would necessarily affect the crew composition. They still had cadets aboard, supposedly a security risk for their "temporary", non-expert nature.

...Perhaps the ship had an official crew of 170-something, plus two to four hundred Black Badges?

Timo Saloniemi

Deledrius likes this.
  10. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Discovery had a small crew complement due to the secret nature of spore drive. Now that it's out in the open perhaps we'll see a bigger crew complement in season 2. They did stop over at Earth after all.

Jadeb likes this.
  11. Timo

What to make of Battle of Binaries losses? The eight thousand blamed on Burnham seemed to refer to that battle specifically (later on, around 10,000 are mentioned, apparently still referring only to Starfleet dead, and the war might never have touched the civilian population much, considering how smallish raids were considered significant in the briefing after the heroes' return from the MU still). A couple of dozen ships on each side were pitted against each other, and it was a decisive Starfleet defeat, but with known survivors and witnessed evacuations in escape pods. Would the 8,000 be divided between 10 or 20 ships, then? Many ships looked badly hurt, and some blew up in instant fireballs, with no chance of survivors. The quoted casualties would still suggest rather large crews if some ships escaped intact and others successfully launched pods.

People lost with the Gagarin of known size, the Hoover of assumed Hoover class size, and the Muroc of canonically unknown size in "Si vis Pacem" amounted to just 462, though, with little chance of survivors. These vessels would be crewed just as thinly as the Discovery, then.

Timo Saloniemi

12. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not only did Discovery seem understaffed in Season 1, it seemed progressively less staffed as time went on. There's a big difference in the level of extras the 3rd episode versus once they went to the Mirror Universe.

Of course, the production reason for this is money was tight. But the within-show logic is harder to understand. Lots of people begin hiding in their quarters when not on duty because they're creeped out?

Deledrius likes this.
  13. Timo

I'd argue Lorca had the mission of finding weird science ways of winning the war, anything goes - and when spore drive panned out, the other scientists and their failed schemes got the boot. At which point Lorca could also drop the compartmentalization and send the S31 guards packing.

The crew count of 134 (excluding Saru and perhaps Lorca) comes at a time when the tardigrade has not yet been properly cleared for navigation and the drive is theoretically incomplete, in "Choose Your Pain". It might still come after those studying metagenic weapons and Things That Flatten Klingon Foreheads and Add Hair were shown the airlock, with further departures following the end of the research phase and the adoption of operational mode.

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. PhotoBoy

PhotoBoy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm obviously very unobservant, but is that right that the crew always entered the bridge from Lorca's ready room? I thought it had its own door.

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, they came in mostly through the one turbolift, even though there's two additional doors on the bridge (and an alcove which we now know went nowhere). The Ready Room had its own door to the bridge and another door we have yet to see used, but that could also be a simple closet, private head, and/or an exit proper too.

Mark

16. Timo

What the articles seem to be commenting on is that the Ready Room was the only actual set element connecting to the Bridge. Entry from the Turbolift would mean entering from outside the set; entry from any of the side doors, likewise (these apparently are functional and there were cases of folks entering through those, but there's nothing behind these doors).

In-universe, we don't know what lies behind the doors that don't have actual set elements behind them - apart from the "wild" Turbolift, they are all shot from the outside IIRC, so there isn't even a generic piece of corridor wall placed behind them for us to ogle. We may well speculate that the Turbolift can access some rooms behind it, in addition to the Bridge ahead of it. And if there's room for the Ready Room to portside aft of the Bridge, then there's room for another similarly sized facility to starboard aft, where the renovated "HAL" alcove lies. The extra Ready Room door also accesses some facility at aft centerline, so we don't have to assume it's a particularly small room. Might be the size of the Bridge for all we know.

Timo Saloniemi

17. Styleset

Styleset Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As I said before, where are our creative computer nerds who can whip up a deck 1 layout with bridge, ready room, turbolifts, conference rooms, heads, airlock, escape pods, etc? Let’s get those speculative juices going!

DEWLine likes this.
  18. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone did a sketch last season... It was in one of the technical threads. Can't find it though. Besides, it's not like we have tons of artists waiting on everyone's beck and call around here. :)

Mark

19. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Well dammit, we certainly should!
    :biggrin:

Styleset likes this.
  20. Styleset

Styleset Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If anyone can tell me where to find this or repost it here, I'd greatly appreciate it. Mark Nguyen, I am absolutely positive someone will take the time to do this kind of work so I don't see the problem with stating that I am interested in it.