"Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The crazed stalked motivation for Electro calls to mind Jim Carrey's Riddler in Batman Forever.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What I do know is that for the comics "Spiderman hurt my feelings and forgot his "generic" promise to me so now I hate him and will wreck havoc" only thinly works.
    For a major motion picture there better be a better a better reason, additional reasons, cause that trailer gives me only that reason. And it sucks.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Let's hope that's all that brings it to mind. *shudder*

I really like Garfield's Spidey banter. He's got a cocky standup-comic delivery that's just perfect. That's an important aspect of the character that the Raimi films, for all their merits, totally dropped the ball on, but these films are getting it right.

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Meh ... thus far, the portrayal of Electro doesn't really light my board. :p

5. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the trailer looked really cool. I wonder if Gwen will die.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there's only one thing that could make him looked this pained....

[​IMG]

7. trekkiebaggio

Yeah, and the bit with her dangling in that place with all the gears. If they do I'm a bit disappointed that MJ isn't in this film because I really love the bit in the comics where MJ stays to comfort him.

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they cut MJ out of the film. The film already looks crowded and the addition of MJ probably would have been too much.

Besides, MJ always felt tacked on after Gwen's death. Peter needs the proper amount of time to grieve and move on. I feel like having MJ come to Peter at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (providing that Gwen... you know) would be gimmicky.

I think the proper thing to would (which looks like they are doing) is saving MJ for the third film. I think that would make more sense. Give Peter time to grieve and MJ could periodically help console him throughout the movie. I think that makes much more sense.

As for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 itself, the movie keeps on looking better and better with each new trailer. I'm still skeptical since I wasn't a big fan of the first movie, but I am cautiously optimistic. The movie keeps on looking better, so we'll see.

9. Christopher

I don't know about the movie, but I think it worked fine in the comics. I don't see any way in which MJ was "tacked on," considering that she was introduced in the comics half a year before Gwen was (though Peter didn't properly meet her until 11 issues after he met Gwen). Both women were part of Peter's life, and each other's, for pretty much the entire time that Peter and Gwen were involved, and they had kind of a friendly romantic rivalry for Peter's affections, a la Betty and Veronica.

And Gwen's death is an integral part of MJ's evolution as a character. Before then, she'd always been the carefree party girl, pulling away from anything serious or heavy or meaningful. But when Gwen died and Peter angrily told MJ off for being shallow and unfeeling, her decision to stay and comfort him in his grief was a pivotal moment of growth for her, and a powerful statement of how much Peter and Gwen both meant to her. And it wasn't about her becoming the rebound babe, it was about her being there for someone who needed her friendship and support, probably the first time in her life that she'd found the strength to do that. There was nothing tacked on about it, because it wasn't just for Peter's benefit. It was the defining moment for the MJ we know today.

Granted, it'd be hard to make that work in a movie, because it's predicated on Peter, Gwen, and MJ having that established history together. It could've fit in if the movie weren't doing so much else and had been free to focus more heavily on the romantic angle and relationship-building, but I guess that's not in the cards for a mega-budget 3D tentpole action blockbuster these days.

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I really hope they don't kill off Gwen. I love MJ and she'll always be Spidey's girl to me, but Emma Stone's Gwen has been great and she deserves more time.

That said, this movie is really looking good; I checked out the first ASM on a whim and really enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to this.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The more I see from this the better it looks. I really enjoyed the first one, so I was already looking forward to this, but these trailers just keep making me more and more excited for it. Based off the trailers for this, Winter Soldier, and the first one for Days of Futures Past it looks like we might be in for another great year for superhero movies.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

for some reason they released another trailer even though there was a huge one around the Super Bowl
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmuw9QPEKE[/yt]

I know women aren't supposed to be portrayed as having a lot of physical strength but I think Gwen will be able to pull her hand from that web.

But, overall, I'm just not excited. Looks very ordinary despite all the SFX.

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Some of the VFX look absolutely terrible ... specifically the shot of Peter and Gwen falling into the clock tower thingy. Hopefully this doesn't represent "the final cut" as it were.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm actually warming up to the film. The latest trailer (which I think includes Hans Zimmer's Spider-Man theme in the first 20 seconds) actually goes a long way in building my anticipation and excitement.

15. Christopher

Gender has nothing to do with it. Even just in the movie continuity, those flimsy strands are strong enough to support Spidey's weight through multi-story swings, to catch and hold cars falling off of bridges, etc. That means it would take tons of force to tear or break them. Even Captain America would be stuck there for an hour until the webbing dissolves. (Except, well, he could probably cut the strands with the edge of his shield, or something.)

16. trekkiebaggio

Pretty cool interview with Marc Webb where he talks about the issue of using a lot of villains in one film and his initial reservations about making the first film.

One of the more interesting things is about Rhino...it's not marked as a spoiler in the interview but I'll put it in spoiler code here.

is only in the film for four minutes.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently there will be another trailer for this film (yet another excise to pound us into submission with a lot of useless yet colorful CGI). I've never seen a film with o many trailers.. Never seen such an empty looking movie being pounded into the brains of its target audience more than this one.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to surprised, very few directors who didn't create a franchise seem to direct more than 3 movies in a series.

20. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

As long as Sony doesn't feel the need to reboot after the third one this time.