"Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Well, Martin Sheen thought he'd be back...

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I think maybe the ASM team felt burned by the level of complaints that ASM1 just rehashed SM1, even though it had a different heroine and no on-screen Osborns. But they also realized that, in order to give Peter a personal edge to his villain confrontations, a peer Harry would be more compelling than an older, aloof Norman. Trouble is, if they just made a straightforward, simple sequel, only introducing Harry and building him up to a Goblin figure, there'd be even more complaints about rehashing the past. So they added Electro and teases for a Sinister team and all that to balance old and new elements, plus the return of Peter's dad for some baffling reason (but, it would also have been novel). The resulting movie, therefore, ended up both overstuffed and narratively rushed.

I could be totally wrong about that. It could be they thought they were making a stupendous, self-assured flick. But I kind of doubt it.

Among modern comics movies, only the X-series is as old as the Spider-Man series, and they've had more characters, settings, and time periods to play around in. So it's not that surprising to see some signs of franchise fatigue and self-repetition...

4. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBYKwkrqL18[/yt]

"Turn back time!"

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a Robot Chicken, I think, where Spider-Man shot webs from his anus, and swung from those butwebs.

Did you ever read Mary-Jane Loves Spider-Man?

It was just a Manga teen love story where Mary Jane does not know what the #### she wants, and way, way off in the background is Spider-Man fighting creepy old dudes.

It's actually what happened in High-school which Peter was too busy to take notice of.

Although really...

You want a Spider-plot with Substance.

The Superior Spider-Man.

Doctor Octopus taken over Peter's body after a mindswap, trying to be a goodie.

That shit was hilarious. :)

I have not enjoyed any Spider-Man movie made since 1980.

6. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Problem with the Sinister Six movie trying to redeem them-with the exception of Ock becoming "Superior" and sorta redeeming himself, and Sandman's ocassional heroic turns, have any of the other Sinister Six members ever really become 'good guys'?'

Maybe it'll be something like X-men's Freedom Force, or the Thunderbolts.

7. Guy Gardener

Electro... Always been a dick.

Rhino... Got super smart in that Webspinners anthology during a Tears for Algernon homage... And in Death's Head II, in an alternate future timeline, not only was he a good guy, but She-Hulks boyfriend.

Scorpion.... Always been a dick.

Kraven... He hunts people for sport, but he's independently wealthy, so it's really questionable if he is wanted by the law as a super villain if he's not the type to rob banks.

Green Goblin... The Iron Patriot? In the current animated, Norman was sane and cured, and the Patriot was a sincere attempt at being a good guy until he got Goblined up again. Moonstone was screwing with his meds (Warren Ellis was writing) when he was running the Thunderbolts because it was funny to watch his poles blink back and forth... Recently in the comics, the Goblin Juice was taken from his system, which might mean no healing, and no super strength, but: "Just you wait Spider-Man! You have no idea what you have unleashed! You've never fought the real Norman Osborn before, just some deranged mentally unstable incompetent. I will destroy you!" (Shakes fist at a crack of thunder.)

Vulture. Always been a dick. There have been other Vultures. Most were still also bad, but I think one of them was a goodie. They didn't last long. I think Adrian literally ripped one of their faces off while diving at him at 200 mph.

Mysterio... Always been a dick. Dicks. There have been a couple blokes under the fish-bowl.

Venom... Eddie thought he was a hero? Flash is a hero.

Sandman... He was in the Avengers, and then Doctor Octopus? Someone (John Byrne!) tied him to a chair and brainwashed him into being a super villain again. Sandman is in prison with Ben Grimm presently in Fantastic Four. There's a possibility of a new heroic streak in the guy, since Ben is on the ropes and needs a friend.

:)

Boomerang's Sinister Six in the Superior Foes of Spider-Man is a laugh and half. Still bad guys, but they are just such epic fuckups that you have to silently root for them as they cock up into a new series of bizarre cross purposes each month.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Rhino and Scorpion had moments where we saw they weren't total dicks. But the rest...yeah, I'm thinking it'd be more of a Suicide Squad deal for them.

9. Guy Gardener

Of course right this Second, Electro was just cured?

(BlackCat had the outcome pivot, but I think she striped him by her endgame.)

Max Dillion is a civilian again.

It was funny a month earlier, the Eel was making a powerplay (Hey "Pun": Fuck off!) as the master of electricity supervillain, when he was checked and counted by his opposition forging an alliance with Electro. FUNNY!

You would have to wonder if Electro, when he gets his powers back, might be an answer to Magneto's problems with being a light weight. Of course, Eric has been proving for the last 10 months that it is his will as a man that gets the job done and not his power as a mutant.