Spoilers AHSOKA series [Spoiler Discussion]

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Reverend, Aug 8, 2023.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the old EU novels had Luke find some kind of old Force Sensitivity scanner in the ruining of one of Palpatine's building. Tested Wedge and found nothing. Started testing others and found variations. People with high sensitivity could be found. That was around the time he started his Jedi Academy on Yavin IV. But taken into account of later things, that was a midichlorian detector.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Ithekro

In The Clone Wars, Palpatine stated that he envisioned a group of Force Sensitive spies he would have all over the galaxy. He'd have his Inquisitors kidnap babies and children that were relatively strong in the Force. The question is what happened to them. As far as we can tell, they didn't become inquisitors. They weren't the Knights of Ren. They might have been used in Palpatine's cloning experiments. Or many he shipped them off to the Unknown Regions to become his Sith Eternal cultists? But then, nothing came of his plan for spies. Or at least nothing that is obvious. The ISB certainly wasn't stocked with Force users. Unless the Inquisitors were collecting kids to later train, I'm unsure that they did with these kids aside from just murder them to prevent a potential threat to the Emperor.

Ar-Pharazon and Reverend like this.
  4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'd be hesitant to attribute that quite so broadly. There's always bound to be a significant portion for whom it's just hard trained skill. Like Tech for example; his piloting abilities are not from going with his feelings like it is for Hera, Han, and I suspect; Poe. Tech just does the math. But yes, for the true prodigies that is likely going to be the case more often than not.

This isn't just a piloting thing either as the same could be true of any number of skills. Like for example the nerherder who somehow always just knows when one of their flock has gone astray, or the musician that can sway a whole audience with their music, or the healer with an uncanny ability to diagnose even the most vexing ailment. Or you know, that one stable boy who doesn't notice the broom coming into his hand whenever he reaches for it . . .
    The force is in everything, and it's not just about making things float and other cool Jedi combat skills. That's just what the Jedi chose to focus on as being of greater service. It's all on a spectrum of awareness, modulated by natural ability and learned skill, whether people are conscious of it or not.
    It would be more accurate to say that nothing was said in the OT that categorically defined it one way or the other. The closest we ever got was the repeated statement of the force being strong in the Skywalker line. Regardless Lucas is on record several times over th decades about how this all works. That fundamental idea has never changed.
    The most obvious parallel here is the Emperor's Hands from Legends. I can see this being something Palpatine would want to run by himself; no intermediaries, They'd also be his means of keeping an eye out for a potential replacement for Vader. I tend to see the Inquisitorious as the reject pile. I mean it's not like he'd risk giving Vader command of a bunch of trained force sensitives if they actually had some Sith potential.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
  5. Ithekro

One wonders if we will ever get an Emperor's Hand type character. Pretty much as soon as Rebels announced Thrawn the audience asked about Mara Jade.

On the other hand, we have Baylan and Shin who are somehow active as mercenaries. Shin isn't old enough to be an Order 66 survivor. If we go by the actress's age, she's not even old enough to have been a born before Order 66. If Baylan started training her as a Padawan at roughly the age Ahsoka was in the Clone Wars, then Shin's been active since about the Battle of Yavin. Her braid is about as long as Obi-wan's was in The Phantom Menace, so she could have been an active Padawan for the last ten or twelve years under Baylan.

6. Set Harth

She's younger than I thought.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

There's currently way too many unknowns regarding them both to make any real deductions, only some inferences here and there. Personally I doubt Baylan had anything to do with the Inquisitorious, or even the Empire. That means he was likely keeping a very low profile, possibly all while training Shin.
    One possibility is that he had the patronage of someone very powerful in the underworld who was able to protect him from unwanted Imperial interest. Probably not the likes of Jabba or Black Sun, but Crimson Dawn seems at least feasible for a number of obvious reasons.
    As for Shin herself; my assumption at this point is that she's like Ezra. A force sensitive kid born after the purge that the Empire missed and that Baylan took on as his apprentice under doubtlessly tragic circumstances.

As for Mara Jade; as I've often stated, the problem with Mara Jade is that there's a fundamental difficulty in adapting her character for canon. She cannot be Luke's love interest, because that's not Luke's path. You can have a character called Mara Jade who was one of Palpatine's personal agents/assassins, somewhat trained in the Jedi/Sith arts but not the deeper secrets. You can even have her cut loose with nobody to turn to after Endor, and have her fall in with a smug--ah, "legitimate trader" in the aftermath. So for so good right? Except that's not Mara Jade, because what defines her character is what happens when she meets Luke Skywalker.

One solution that I've posited before which might work is to combine Mara with Juno Eclipse, thereby substituting Galen Marek in Luke's place in Mara's story . . . but that would entail a much larger project of adapting Galen Marek's character and story too, which I just can't see happening anytime soon. Indeed therein lies the rub; these aren't the kinds of character you can just drop into someone else's story. They need their own stories, and at this point that seems to be well trodden ground.

Jedman67 likes this.
  8. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She can, and be killed before TFA. Yes, it's a stretch and no, I think it's more likely an Emperors Hand character would be someone else. Barris is a possible choice, although TBH i'd rather not go back to TCW again.
    In Rebels and Kenobi we see the Inquisitors are no match for Vader. They're Vader's enforcers/knee-breakers (i.e. head choppers :D)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Again; that's not Luke's path. If Lucas was very clear on one thing it was this. This kind of haphazard pairing off and/or killing of characters for the sake of drama and little else is one of the many reasons the EU became such a mess. Mara was wasted in the EU once she married Luke. Even her death was largely done just for shock value, as was that whole tedious Caedus mess.

As for Barris; having her show up as an Imperial agent of any kind makes no sense whatsoever. The Empire, or rather the Republic's slide into empire and the Jedi's role in it was exactly what she was railing against. Why would she ever willingly serve that?
    If Barris ever appears again, I'd say she's either going to be a prisoner, a hermit, or a mercenary like Baylan. Given that Filloni didn't use her in the show says he has something else in mind for her. Maybe season 2 . . .
    I prefer the analogy of hunting dogs. They're there to track, to chase, and to flush. Nothing more, other than perhaps to pick off the occasional weak one. Doesn't matter if the Jedi they flush from cover cuts them down, because they're disposable and flushing the Jedi from cover was the whole point of it. Actually killing Jedi is what Vader is for.

Anyway, none of that matches what Sidious was describing. He wasn't after bloodhounds or springers, he was after indoctrinated spies and assassins. Whole other thing. If they use Emperor's Hands in canon, that's what they'll be. Force sensitives with control chips, serious psychological conditioning, armed to the teeth, and masters of stealth and infiltration.
    Which still works fine for Mara's story; you just replace her internal battle with Palpatine's dying psychic command, with the programmed and conditioned compulsion to obey his final instruction (given the more mundane way), only in my proposed revision; instead of "kill Luke Skywalker" it would be "kill Galen Marek".

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    Jedman67 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Inquisitors were trained by Darth Vader, and Darth Vader would only teach them what they need to know to their jobs, but not enough for them to supplant him. On the other hand, Anakin Skywalker taught Ahsoka Tano everything he knew, which is why she was able to go through no less than four Inquisitors without much effort.

Jedman67 likes this.
  11. Set Harth

Who are the four? I can only think of three.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There is the one from Tales of the Jedi, she defeated two in Rebels and Marrok.

13. Set Harth

Oh I thought you meant kills.

14. Ithekro

Ahsoka killed two and basically fight two others with little effort. Constantly knocking Fifth Brother out of the fight and disarming Seventh Sister. Only the appearance of Stormtroopers, with artillery, forced her to flee. Otherwise she was going to interrogate Seventh Sister as much as possible.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  15. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can have Mara. As soon as you dump that dogshit ST and excise it from the canon!

C'mon, Disney. I triple dawg dare ya!

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Disney: No.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Just like the prequel trilogy was never going to be excised, the sequel won't be either.

And that's fine.

Multiple shows have demonstrated how you can make them better by building up and around them.

Reverend and fireproof78 like this.
  18. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just have her die during the destruction of the Academy. It would be a little odd that they don't mention her death as an inciting factor in Luke leaving but not insurmountable. Perhaps they are a couple but not actually married.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's better that way. Maybe not for fans but they'll just come up with head canon solutions anyway.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Not a bad episode. A bit overly long in some places. I was curious what they would say about this new galaxy. i was curious if they were going to hint this was a galaxy the Vong have already hit or something along that line.
    Ezra seems incredibly chipper for someone who has been stuck in what looks like to be the Scottish highlands for 10+ years.