After Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Thefallguy, Sep 22, 2017.

1. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ooh, Matron.

I think you mean Kenneth Mitchell (did have to look up the credits though as I didn't remember his actual name either). Although Williams is dead, I definitely enjoyed imagining him as a Klingon for a moment.

Right now I'm just wondering if Frakes will turn up after the episode he directed.

SJA, Pindar and Jarvisimo like this.
  2. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Indeed i am :D Now, I'm imagining the Klingon version of Just a Minute.

SpocksOddSocks and Pindar like this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

After Trek this week did a neat thing, they analyized one of the maps we got got a close up on in the episode.

4. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

I tried to watch the show 'live', but for some stupid reason, it just wouldn't stream. Tried it on two different laptop's, same result. About a second of video/audio and it would just 'freeze'. Thought it might have been buffering, but it never did work. Even checked to make sure I had the latest version of Flash. Nadda. Eventually, I just gave up and switched on something else. I guess I'll try it again tonight, with the 'taped' video version.

CBS ALLACCESS sucks donkey nuggets...

Q2

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

The clip they showed from next episode had Burnham and Tilly wearing "DISCO" t-shirts. The producers said the tardigrade was initially going to be a regular crew member.

Jarvisimo likes this.
  6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I did not like the way the host presented the first episode and I have not watched it since. If he's doing better I might give it a try, sometime.

7. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, I wish they'd jettison Matt Mira out the airlock! I feel so embarrassed for the guests. Mira is like a little man-child playing in the Trek talk show set he built in his garage. He's not funny, he's stumbling over his teleprompter, talking over a reply that one of the executive producers was trying to get out. I really enjoy the "Talking Dead" aftershows with Hardwick, but this is just unbearable. And really, going to "red alert" at the end of each episode with all the flashing lights... are they directing this show towards 6 year olds? Jeez.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  8. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

They also need to work on other gags for Mira to do if they're going to keep him as host. For one, the pointing at the hashtag to look like he's being irreverent or funny wore out the third time he did it.

They really need to rework After Trek. Stop diverting to the Twitter questions, in fact don't go to Twitter at all for questions, use that time for showing and hearing more about the process behind the making of the episode we just saw, things like that.

Pindar and SJA like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He is.

10. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

We landed a small cast member interview for our podcast, we haven't done the interview yet, its later in October.

But when soliciting for these interviews, some of the more important cast members agents have cited certain exclusivity agreements,

most when they tell you no they just tell you no. At first I wondered if the exclusivity thing was just a line, but I'm getting the vibe between the one ST podcast on startrek.com and the After Trek were what they were talking about.

Either way I watch after Trek and get a smidge jealous, cause sometimes I think to myself "I could do better than this"

Which is crazy because Mira is GREAT but on that show, he doesn't seem so sharp. Otherwise I love him and when I heard he was doing after trek I was kinda excited.

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

The host is OK. He annoyed me a little at first but now I am used to him. He manages to keep it lively.

I agree they should ditch the twitter stuff. Also get rid of the trivia questions. I like having the showrunners (Gretchen & Aaron) there. Hopefully they can get other writer/producers too, like Nick Meyer or joe Menosky.

12. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I know how you feel.... I don't know if it's just the way I prefer to do things, but I feel like there's a missed opportunity. The show hasn't found it's comfort zone yet and Mira seems to be hitting the marks the product wants and in doing so, sacrificing a 'natural conversation' vibe.

There were a couple of moments tonight I used to really grumble at my staff for; halting the conversation to abruptly move onto the next mark instead of helping it flow. Though Chieffo and Mitchell seemed to have a better time as last week felt like there was too much of him directing the conversation rather than letting it grow (you'd be forgiven for forgetting one person was even there).

But I think they've taken on board the demands of the show and just need to tweak. Week two was a massive difference as the loudness of week one was really off putting to many (mostly outwith the US from various comments over the interwebs). And hopefully the trivia's ditched fairly sharpish as it's all embarassingly easy questions a newspaper would ask you in a competition :/

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  13. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

yeah sometimes you just have to take your wheel ( I use a clock chart ) and toss it out the window,

I much prefer the good conversation, ala talk radio, the flow to me by well informed people is much more important.

jamestyler likes this.
  14. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

I ended up treating it as a podcast, on in the background, not as a video (until later on) & I rather liked it in this manner. It's fun to watch too, but since it's not demanding tv, it's easy to put behind another tab/window.

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched the latest episode and the two Klingon actors, L'Rell and Kol, were great. But what bothered me about this installment was the preview of the next episode. In that episode, the nickname, "DISCO" (for the ship, at least) will apparently be officially canonized by the show.

In light of last week's little dust up in the episode thread about some of the show's nicknames around here, the only nick that has bothered me has been, "DISCO". I just knew that would be the one that would not survive. Surprise! :censored: :lol: :crazy:

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I love the night life I got to boogie. On the disco round oh yes..

Succubint likes this.
  17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I never knew that next word was "round." I always thought it was just "ah-ahhh." I guess having an actual noun there makes more sense, though I'm not quite sure what a "disco round" is.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Black Alert.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Heh. Took me a while to get that one.

20. omnirad

omnirad Commander Red Shirt

Nothing wrong with a little enthusiasm, and a little fluff. I like the tone of After Trek, and will continue to watch.