Actually... I quite like that episode.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by retroenzo, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I like it, it has a weird atmosphere, Phlox is fun and, as you said, Porthos is adorable.

eyeresist likes this.
  2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Episodes that are not fan favorites or get a lot of poop... but I like them.

Aquiel, I guess I like this one because it was the first episode (along with Face of the Enemy) that I got on VHS back in the 90s when I was really getting into Trek. So it has a special meaning for me but it's not that bad either. Not a masterpiece but not bad.

Imaginary Friend, I don't understand the hate this episode gets, I like this one. Picard's discussion with the alien who pretends to be Clara Sutter's best friend is great. He describes how the alien looks at the crew from a child's point of view and why they treat Clara as they do.

3. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I've never heard negatives. It's near the top for me, a classic Twilight Zone like ST episode. Very adult, jarring, film-like.

4. bajorangirl

bajorangirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

'A Night In Sickbay' I don't understand why so many people dislike the episode :s

MFB and eyeresist like this.
  5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ditto. Speaking as someone who has spent a long night or two in an animal hospital, fretting over a sick dog or cat, I could absolutely identify with Archer in that episode.

Should every Trek episode be a sentimental tear-jerker about a sick dog? Probably not. But as a change of pace, why not?

MFB and bajorangirl like this.
  6. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

I have started watching DS9 for the first time. Last night I reached "Move Along Home." I'd heard this episode is widely reviled and "one of the worst," etc. So I was expecting a "Code of Honor" or a "Shades of Gray." And Move Along Home isn't nearly that bad. Not by a long shot. I mean, it's not great. But I found a lot to love in it. In particular, Quark is becoming my favorite character. Armin Shimmerman is just so damn good as that character. That scene when it dawns on him that the pieces are actually the senior staff and his honest, genuine horror is so well-played. So far, DS9 is having a much better first season than TNG, even when it's not all that good.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Spectre of the Gun" would probably be closest for me. I like the minimalism of the old west town.

Kor

Vger23 likes this.
  8. Balok's Decoy

Is Spectre of the Gun considered a bad or weak episode?

9. Greg Cox

My impression is that it's a love-it-or-hate-it episode.

10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the 1st season of TNG. Most hate it.

2takesfrakes likes this.
  11. Vger23

I can't remember if we already said it, but Omega Glory is one of my favorite TOS episodes.

12. retroenzo

retroenzo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What some of us Brits would call 'Marmite' because you either love Marmite or hate it. I don't know if the US have a similar phrase.

I'm also going to mention 'Bride of Chaotica!' as another episode I love, but never sure if it's generally liked or disliked by fans.

13. Greg Cox

I love "Bride of Chaotica." One of my favorite VOYAGER episodes.

14. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

Course Oblivion from Voyager.

Yeah it stretched the boundaries of possibility but I quite liked it. The hopelessness of the situation and the inevitable disaster at the end were dealt with well.

15. Balok's Decoy

Is "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" considered a bad episode? I've seen criticisms of it for being comically obvious. But I love it...despite Frank Gorshin's bizarre running style at the end of the episode.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But "Move Along Home" might be one of the worst DSN episodes.

17. UnknownSample

Yes, but it's great. They still make the same arguments Loki makes, when authorities try to deal with resisters, and justify themselves.

18. Vger23

I watched "A Night In Sickbay" last week, and I agree that it's not a half-bad little episode.

19. Vger23

I'm a huge fan of "The Savage Curtain," which doesn't seem to get much love. In fact, I really like a lot of S3 episodes of TOS.

UnknownSample and Balok's Decoy like this.
  20. Balok's Decoy

I like "Savage Curtain" too. Once you swallow that Lincoln Pill, it gets much better. There's a lot of good ideas in that episode.

Also agree about S3 of TOS. It's so underrated. I feel like most people see it as the "Bad Season," but many of my favorite episodes are in S3. The Enterprise Incident, Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, Day of the Dove, Whom Gods Destroy, All Our Yesterdays, The Cloud Minders. It's a fantastic run of episodes.

Granted, it has Spock's Brain (which I kinda like, tbh), Turnabout Intruder, And the Children Shall Lead. But those are just a few duds in an otherwise solid season of Star Trek.

Vger23 and UnknownSample like this.
  21. UnknownSample

LOL. On s3, I veer wildly back and forth. Sometimes I see only errors, and it seems tragic after all the greatness. Other viewings, I see the greatness in s3, and there's a lot of it.
    ----------------
    If the ONLY season of Trek ever had been s3, we would still be talking about and reeling over this amazing thing that somehow got on the air decades ago.

Vger23 and Balok's Decoy like this.