Academy Awards discussion thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Nth Doctor, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, same here. I finished the movie and I caught myself crying, and I thought "What the hell?" Somehow, the brilliant minds at Pixar, along with Ben Burtt and Thomas Newman, managed to make me care about two CG robots in a deep and meaningful way. Absolutely fantastic.

J.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That is my perception of it without seeing it. That its a novelty for Americans to see a unfamiliar culture. If it was about a contestant of the American Millionaire show it would be a TV movie. The type of thing shown on Lifetime! It would likely not be that different either.

3. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

She's. Not. Dead.:rolleyes:

4. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why the roll eyes? All I said was she was so young!

5. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Reminds me of the year that Salma Hayak film won for makeup because they gave her a monobrow(yeah, I know, what a stretch! :rolleyes:). Shoulda just hired Jennifer Connelly and forgo the cost of makeup!!!

6. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it isn't a zombie film. Sure, it's highly influenced by zombie films, but the antagonists in it aren't zombies cause they're not re-animated corpses. Just like I Am Legend isn't a zombie film, even though many of its ideas and conventions influenced the daddy of all zombie films - Night of the Living Dead, which went on to set the standard for all modern zombie films.

OT, glad Ledger won for The Joker. Thoroughly deserved it as he totally nailed the performance. Wasn't really bothered about anything else, but I'll watch the highlights just for Ledger's family's acceptance speech.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

You nailed it right on the head. Having seen both films, I can honestly say Sean Penn gave a transformative performance that was so far removed from his previous work and real life persona. Whereas Mickey Rourke's performance -- while raw, gritty and enduring -- just felt like an extension of Mickey Rourke. Sean Penn absolutely deserved that Oscar.

8. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

She's looked great for her age previous years but this year she just looked...stoned and ruffled to be honest :lol: Goldie Hawn is still fnatasically hot though.
    Boyle got the directing Oscar for the sheer logisitcal hcallenge of shootin a movie in the actuall city of Mumbai, and for what I've heard it's quite deserved in that respect.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

This was the worst Oscars in living memory. I don't care who was nominated, who won, or who lost.

The show itself was just terrible.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I didn't like how oddly spaced things were

First we get Penelope Cruz :drool: and her best supporting actress Oscar. Then we go into a two hour long tutorial on how a film is made.

Last half hour is when all the big stuff happens. It's formatted like a Smallville episode

11. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "In Memoriam" segment was botched. Not only did we not need a live performance from Queen Latifah (that song was awful by itself), but the camera failed to zoom in on the image of the first person memorialized.

I liked the idea of five past winners taking the stage to present Oscars for acting. Firstly, it's nice to bring back some previous honorees; members of the audience had probably forgotten about some of them. On the other hand, the presenters' speeches tended to be embarrassingly unctuous. Perhaps they should dial it down a bit next year.

12. Dick Whitman

I definitely need to see Milk. Of the various films nominated in different categories it is the one I have yet to see that I a real interest in. I am not sure if it ever even play up her in "Whitetrash, Wisconsin"!

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Milk is released on dvd in two weeks so you don't have to wait too long if you really want to check it out.

14. Dick Whitman

Thanks for the release date info!

15. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great- I can't wait to see it again! :p

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's always been my opinion that the In Memoriam segment should be played with just the music, with the viewers unable to hear the audience's applause. It's awful to hear one guy get barely any applause because he was just a cameraman or something, and then Paul Newman comes up and the crowd goes crazy.

17. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

There was next to no applause for Charlton Heston. It's sad how little respect he gets. In his earlier years, he contributed a lot to cinema and to civil rights...who gives a fuck about his later politics. I also think they should do it by alphabetical order, instead of ranking people in relative "importance". And I'm a big fan of Paul Newman saying this.

18. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

That was interesting. I guess some people associated Mr. Heston more with the NRA than with Hollywood. I admired him for his earlier works.

On a side note, I thought Jackman did a fine job hosting the Oscars. He wasn't boring or terrible, though he could've been more charismatic. Also, I liked how the former Oscar winners presented the nominees for each acting category.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

A lot of the applause was also drowned out by the stupid song. I heard people applaud Heston, but yeah, Newman definitely got the most (as the final member usually does).

I thought Jackman did a really good job, and I hope he comes back next year. His opening was awesome.

I also hope they do away with the former winners presenting the nominees, because I just found it really lame, slow, and annoying. Maybe they should just change it to the previous winner presenting the current nominees.

20. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did they leave anyone out in that segment I missed it?