A small corvette

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by LordSarvain, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Patrin-Zero

Patrin-Zero Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Mind I'm far from the 'authority' many other members here are but may I suggest a thought regarding placement-alignment of the navigational deflector assembly ?

Perhaps if said object were mounted on the connecting pylon, midway above-below the warp nacelle and saucer section but in a somewhat unique fashion. If the deflector assembly (dish) were parallel to the ship's central axis than the 'standard' orientation of perpendicular, best envisioned as an AWAC-style antenna array with the now flat disc having an 'embedded' appearance at said pylon's front edge.

Mind such positioning does suggest a piece of lesser-known Federation technology, the lateral focus deflector, opposed to the more frequently applied longitudinal deflector seen on most Starfleet vessels.

Again, a bit of a random and somewhat radical thought but one never knows what research projects ended up in mothballed and quietly packed away.

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kind of agree with this. Right now the dish looks like a reciever or something - it doesn't quite seem like a big ol' powerful deflector beam doohickey when viewed from any angle other than head-on (apply directly to the saucer).

3. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like the design. Very unique and interesting. What are those domes on the saucer edges used for? With regards to the defector dish I think it looks fine just the way it is now and that you shouldn't change it.

The only suggestion I have is to make the neck connecting the saucer to the nacelle much thinner. It looks way too thick in the head-on shot of the Bold Fury and the Endeavor. I think it should be the same thickness as the connie neck. But that's just me.

Other than that one qualm this is quite a beautiful ship you've got. Good job!

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looks good so far with the shuttle added :) :techman:

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

He answered your question in post #8 of the thread. Not that many pages back really.

6. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Neat design. I kinda like it.

But that deflector really bugs me. If it was me, I'd try 2 things: #1- make the deflector a standard round TOS model and raise it up higher. #2- eliminate the deflector altogether and just go without.

Aside from that, great work!

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like those wide oversized phaser turrets. Heck, the whole underside of the re-imagined Excalibur (primary hull) could be one.

8. sojourner

^What phaser turrets? Excalibur? huh?

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The Post Ultimate computer Excalibur--just an idea--oh on the Levant and Ti-Ho, those were also fanprint ideas as to what ship became the ENT-A so as to avoid confusion. I just really like those Phaser turrets. It is nice to see new concept beyond FJs old phaser banks. These seem to have greater power.

I know you don't like the term megaphsers, but with Yamato, SW ships and other sci-fi vessels having all sorts of weapons, it is nice to see some of these starfleet designs actually look dangerous.

10. LordSarvain

LordSarvain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good Evening,

This is the 53rd time I have addressed you from this office, where so many decisions have been made that shaped the history of this model. Each time I have done so to discuss with you some matter that I believe affected the design.

In all the decisions I have made in my model building life, I have always tried to do what was best for the model. Throughout the long and difficult period of Deflectorgate, I have felt it was my duty to persevere, to make every possible effort to complete the model I had envisaged.

In the past few posts, however, it has become evident to me that I no longer have a strong enough fanatical base on the boards to justify continuing that effort. As long as there was such a base, I felt strongly that it was necessary to see the design process through to its conclusion, that to do otherwise would be unfaithful to the spirit of that deliberately difficult process and a dangerously destabilizing precedent for the future.

To continue to fight through the months ahead for my personal vindication would almost totally absorb the time and attention of both this and other models, in a period when our entire focus should be on the great issues of learning how to texture and deciphering the intricacies of mental ray rendering.

Therefore, I shall retire the current Deflector effective at the end of this text. A new Deflector will be revealed at that time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sojourner

Very nice!
    Again, what phaser turrets? He hasn't put any phasers on the ship yet. Do you mean the impulse engines? Because, you know, if you read his posts, you'd know they aren't turrets.

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice. I liked the old deflector too, but this one draws less attention to itself, letting the rest of the design pop out a little more.

(IMHO, YMMV)

13. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

He's talking about the turrets on the Excalibur in the side by side head-on profile.

As for the new deflector, I liked the second oval one a lot better, but that's just my opinion. This new version does look more TOS-y.

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw: (And you avatar really sells it, too!)

15. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Love the new version. Two thumbs up! :)

16. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

The only thing that's irked me throughout is the deflector placement. Changing the size and colour doesn't do anything for me. I'd remove it entirely and go with a recessed one in the space left behind it. The rest of the ship is just grand, but nailing that satellite dish to it spoils the lines for me.

17. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

To me it seems to balance out the ship, with the deflector on top and the engine dangling off the bottom. Otherwise, it's really just a fancy Franz Joseph destroyer.

18. LordSarvain

LordSarvain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Windows! There's some rooms behind the windows but no details, just some glowing bits...

@publiusr - No, no... nooooo.... no turrets on the Excalibur lol...

@B.J. - glad you were entertained lol...

@Axeman - to my mind that would be a more advanced setup than the era this is built for, but certainly for a newer model that would be the plan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

still looks good to me :) :techman:

20. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

what's the point of the thin saucer bit? does it do anything?