A Little Help . . .

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CaptPapa, Apr 29, 2012.

1. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I'm an avid TOS collector - though mostly media now, rather than trinkets.
    I've bought the entire series on VHS, then Laser Disc, and finally DVD. My DVD set is the original, pre-remastered variety. Recently, I got onto Netflix, and have been enjoying the remastered version of the series. So, here's the dilemma . . . since I'm leaning toward buying the series one-more-time, which one is best; the remastered DVD, or the blue-ray version? I don't even know if the blue-rays are remastered, but I assume so (confirm?). I'm a bit behind the times and don't have a blue-ray player. The eyes ain't what the used to be (ears either) and I don't know if blue-ray technology would be wasted on me. I don't even own :eek: a flat panel TV - all mine are still the old tube-type.
    Comments . . . ?

2. Tribble Herder

Tribble Herder Lieutenant Commander

The Blu-Ray's are the remastered, but they have the option of watching with the original effects, so it's the best of both worlds (pun unavoidable). And they appear to have all the same extras from the previous sets, plus some new ones, so your best bet is to get the Blu-Ray sets, along with a Blu-Ray player.

Following that up with an HD tv is up to you, but the player should work with a regular tv, provided it isn't too ancient. You won't get a high def picture, but it'll look nicer than what you've got currently.

3. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Very cool, thanks for the info.

4. Tribble Herder

I'm looking at getting a Blu-Ray player myself, especially since we just got the combo pack of "My Week With Marilyn".

Gotta play that other disc somehow...

5. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

You should get them all on Beta (and no, I have nothing to do with that auction).

Neil

6. Tribble Herder