A&E Taking Heat For Suspending 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Shilliam Watner, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Vile? Despicable? Anything consensual is moral.

The ONLY problem with anal sex is its potential to cause certain unpleasant medical conditions. That makes it just about as "immoral" as, say, carpentry ( where you run the risk of bashing your thumb ).

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

After all how much did Jesus have to say on the issue of gays and how much did he say on things such as divorce and adultery?

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Saying that American blacks were okay, happy and better off before the end of Jim Crow and segregation is patently offensive and monumentally stupid on every level I can think of, from basic respect for human decency and fundamental civil rights all the way to giving positive lip service to institutional, ruthlessly-enforced racism that kept the descendants of former slaves in poverty and without even the legal opportunity to cast votes in the elections held by their own localities, states and nation.

If someone wants to express bigoted and racist viewpoints they can do so to their heart's content, but A&E is not a government agency or department that takes and spends taxpayer money to operate. It is not beholden to the same rules and laws that our local, state and federal governments are and that means if a celebrity on their network says or does something that reflects badly on said network and costs them revenue, then they can suspend or even fire that celebrity from the show that the network itself exerts control over.

He can be an anti-gay racist if he wants, but nobody is required to give him a microphone and mouthpiece to spout those views. That so many people are missing the point or don't care just because they want to pull a bold little Chick-fil-A and stick to The Gays and others they don't like nor approve of shows that we still have a ways to go in this world before narrow-mindedness and hate about skin color and other innate human traits are truly relegated to the dustbin of history, and it may never happen. But we can do a little better than this.
    And to be fair, a lot of things in this world could get a million Likes on Facebook. I'm sure you could get a million cumulative Likes for the Faces of Death snuff video series if you waited long enough, so I'm not too impressed all things considered.

4. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Morons at GLAAD just cannot understand why people hate them

http://www.thewrap.com/a-and-e-duck-dynasty-glaad-backlash

“In the five-and-a-half years I’ve worked at GLAAD, I’ve never received so many violently angry phone calls and social media posts attacking GLAAD for us speaking out against these comments,” the media watchdog organization’s vice president of communications Rich Ferraro told TheWrap.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Agreed. To be honest, while the remarks on gay people are nothing new, and I was only mildly annoyed by them (having heard them a bajillion times), it was the comment on black people and Jim Crow laws that really got my attention.

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is no surprise. Bigots tend to be very vocal in their defense of bigotry.

Ditto

7. Marc

How about you start addressing the points made by posters instead of taking the thread around in circles as you move the goal posts and link that's not actually relevant.

8. cooleddie74

Everyone I've ever known who has made the statement in one fashion or another that blacks were better off before desegregation and the Civil Rights Era (and there've been a few) was a racist. Oh, they might have other endearing qualities and be the sweetest, most genteel honey child to ever whip up cornbread and beans and tell you that you look like a gentleman and sweetheart, but they were racist.

Duck Dynasty Dude with ZZ Top Beard that had 5 electoral votes of its own in the last election might not see himself as bigoted, but he is.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Damn straight.

10. Marc

Speaking of electoral votes, apparently the GOP tried to recruit Willie Robinson as a congressional candidate but he turned them down as he was making more money doing what he's doing now.

11. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

No Robertson family member ran for office in the last election.:rolleyes:

12. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was joking that his beard had 5 electoral votes, not that anybody had run for office.

13. cooleddie74

WHOOOOOSH.

(*Facepalm*)

14. Marc

"humour,it is a difficult concept" - Savik

15. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Hard as this may be for a homophobe like you to believe, but homosexuality isn't about anal sex. It's about being able to choose who you want to spend your life with. And life is hard enough that any God who would deliberately punish someone for forming an intimate bond with the consensual adult of their choice is a God not worth worshipping.

But of course, God didn't spend nearly so much time on homosexuality as today's group of emotionally-stunted anti-gay Christians (I'm not referring to all Christians, obviously, American Catholics support marriage equality, so do the Unitarians and other groups).

As my buddy John Fugelsang says:

[​IMG]

And, there's some good news today, Shilliam! While you may choose to cling to the bigotry of the past, equality marches ever forward: Today New Mexico became the 17th state to adopt Marriage Equality.

More than 40% of our citizens now live in states with equal rights to marriage. But that number actually downplays things a bit, as so many of our LGBT brothers and sisters have moved to less bigoted areas that well more than 40% of us are bound to now have access to this fine institution.

You've lost. You're a dinosaur.

And though your kind will no doubt fight to shame people, and to inflict harm upon us in the coming years, it is but the last violent thrashing of limbs from a beast who's too blinded by hatred and rage to realize that the killing blow has already been struck. You had your day, but we no longer live in that world. Thank God.

16. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I find it interesting that the people who use the Constitution as a shield don't actually know what it says. Congress is bound by the First Amendment. A&E is not. If Congress says that Phil can't say what he said, Phil's Constitutional Rights have been infringed. If A&E says that they're going to fire him for what he said, his Constitutional Rights have not been infringed. In either case his speech has been limited, but it's only Unconstitutional when Congress does it. Read the First Amendment.

I've read his comments. I think he's ignorant, I think he's hypocritical, and I think he's not a very good Christian. But, do we really need to make a big deal out of things every time someone puts their boot in their mouth? It was in GQ magazine. Does anyone actually read it? Just let Beard boy make his kazoos on TV while his kids act like dumbasses for the lulz.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It can't be ignored, because there is social media, and entertainment media, that make a shit-ton of money from it.

18. cooleddie74

They're even selling crappy Duck Dynasty toys in major retail chains, and from what I've read they've been selling like hotcakes since this story first hit the headlines.

It's all over the place.

19. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm really waiting for Pope Francis to come out and admonish everyone, saying something along the lines of, "this is what I've been talking about. You're so worked up about a guy in camo and something he said in a magazine, while the poor are starving. The people of Christ have their focus in the wrong place."

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Of course they have. A devoutly public Christian man gave his God Breathed Truth today, and the gays weren't shameful in response, so of course they have to defend their latest martyr by buying any and all of his merchandise in the name of Jesus™. Money is faith. Faith is money.

If he did, I don't know what I'd say other than to agree with him. Honestly, I'm nowhere near becoming a Catholic, but that man could probably convince me if he put enough effort into it. It is my opinion that he is the best Pope we've seen in ages. He has more of my respect than I ever thought I could reserve for the Pope.

If you would have told me a couple of years ago, that I was going to be a supporter of the Pope, I'd have laughed my ass off.