5400mph winds discovered hurtling around planet outside solar system

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dryson, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

Winds of over 2km per second have been discovered flowing around planet outside of the Earth’s solar system, new research has found.

http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/news/232

That a lot of wind. I would have top think that soil erosion would be instant and that nothing could live on the planet.

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: 5400mph winds discovered hurtling around planet outside solar syst

The 1200°C temperatures probably don't help with that.

3. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I am waiting for the 7200 model before buying.

HD 189733 b is 1.16 Jupiter masses. There is no surface, no soil, and no erosion there. It's a gas giant that's pretty uninhabitable for the life as we know it. It's also way outside of the habitable zone, so even its moons aren't. Although there's always the option of living deep underground during the day... Watching the winds unfold during the night, if there's no atmosphere to keep the night-side heated. Nah, not really, even a 25-hour night is not enough to cool that thing down so close to the star, I doubt there's a habitable part anywhere in the interior either. But that shouldn't keep us from dreaming. ;)

Also that's only 4-5 times the wind speed on Neptune. We can't expect that our Solar system is number one in everything, or anything for that matter. I suspect there are even more violent planets out there...

4. KlavsPrieditis

KlavsPrieditis Lieutenant Red Shirt

Soil erosion like it was in Interstellar. Who knows a lot of witers fantasts predicted the future in their books written far earlier than they wrote their books.. Who know.. Maybe Interstellar is a great film-prediction which become grounded on real facts in 100-200 years..Who knows