3D interiors in Blender

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

:eek: Wow, this looks like from a lost Trek show we never got. I'm amazed at how you're able to seamlessly combine all these set elements into one coherent whole that looks very appropriate for the era and yet completely original at the same time.

Rekkert likes this.
  2. EchoSierraPi

EchoSierraPi Ensign Newbie

I love that shade of tan!

3. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I really like that!

I think the dark screen is a really nice touch, and gives a bit of privacy from the rest of sickbay.
    One of the things that I think they got right with TOS, TMP & TWOK, was having a seperate was having a seperate exmaination/operation room.

From TNG onwards, it seemed as if all medical operations were just carried out in the middle of sickbay, no matter who was there.

Imagine being in hospital now, and having surgery in the middle of a ward, with the other patients looking on, and anybody can just walk in and out!

4. EchoSierraPi

EchoSierraPi Ensign Newbie

I like to think Voyager and later sickbays,which included a EMH, could activate holographic privacy screens between beds. Of course they were never seen onscreen, but I think it would make sense.

TOMFAN likes this.
  5. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, that might negate a need for the Captain's Ready Room on smaller ships. The Captain can just use holographic privacy screens around the command chair. Of course, they'd still need extra shelving for all those PADDs.

Sibyl likes this.
  6. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

Looks really nice. By the way, I only mention this because I see one of those vase things from Ten Forward in the office there, but I recently found examples of those silver ball decorations from Ten Forward on eBay, with tape measures next to them. They were posted at the Fleet Workshop if you were interested.

7. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

How does one gain entrance to the Fleet Workshop, if you don't mind me asking?

8. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

@Donny: Thank you very much mate!

@Michael: Haha, why thank you! :)

@EchoSierraPi: Thanks :p

@TOMFAN: TNG also had separate surgical rooms, when an scheduled procedure needed to take place (rather than an emergency); this is most notably seen in "Ethics" when Worf has to undergo surgery. DS9 likewise had a separate surgical room, while the Defiant didn't because apparently the last thing you want in a ship designed for combat is to have a well equiped medical area.

Voyager... was Voyager, they didn't care by that point. A ship with 150 crew members left spacedock with only a doctor and a nurse... and 3 beds... We could assume that there are other rooms that aren't shown, but the Doctor specifically mentions wanting more space because in case of an emergency all he has is sickbay... :brickwall:

@Lt. Washburn: Ohh, interesting! I'll go check it out, thanks! :)

More work on the Galaxy transporter room, I've checked and confirmed all the wall dimensions, and did the little weapons locker that was added to the room in late season 7.

[​IMG]

9. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

10. Rekkert

@Donny: No, as far as I know it's never seen on the show. However it was definitely there on the set by late season 7, as the BluRay set for that season contains a set tour that shows it very clearly. And like you said, it's also seen up close on the Interactive TM, where you can open it up and see the phaser rifles inside. :)

The isolinear bank on the side of the room is now done.
    [​IMG]

137th Gebirg, Donny, Schimpfy and 3 others like this.
  11. Rekkert

Finished the remaining walls on the side room.
    [​IMG]

12. Matthew Raymond

@Rekkert, have you ever done non-photorealistic set renderings, like they do in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels? I think that the 2D/3D hybrid animation they did in Disney's Paperman short (possibly using something like Blender's Grease Pencil) combined with stylized virtual sets, would make for a very visually engaging fan film.

13. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that Medical Bay is gorgeous! :)
    I've always thought that right next door is another room full of beds, or small areas where long term patients can live in, and still be close to the sickbay. That and atleast 1 surgical bay, like in TWOK and TMP. To me that main area is just an everyday clinic type of place, and it opens up to a trauma center and surgical suite.

Transporter is coming along nicely !!

14. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Is that a fire extinguisher?? YES!

Sibyl likes this.
  15. Matthew Raymond

16. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

That's a hallmark for my requests - fire extinguishers. You need 'em in case your main fire suppression system goes down. I know some in Sci-Fi Meshes complain that I'm nuts for requesting them, but you have to think things out.

Jedman67 likes this.
  17. Rekkert

@Matthew Raymond: I'm always tempted to do some cell shading style renders, but I never find the time for it haha.

@valkyrie013: Yes, that's essentially how the medical deck on all ships are supposed to be, with a large ward for general patients, private rooms for surgeries, etc. Essentially a fully fledged hospital. The room we generally call Main Sickbay is sometimes called the ICU in canon to give this idea of "you're just seeing one room in a far larger picture". The TNG Technical Manual and the official Enterprise-D blueprints also support this idea, showing a massive medical complex on deck 12 on board the Enterprise.

We were on the first stages of work on that deck on Stage 9 using the assets I had created for the Galaxy sickbay, but well, we know how that ended...

[​IMG]

18. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Put on one of the buttons.. So long, and thanks for the Fish!
    I need to get back to my interiors.. but the 3d printing takes up the time.. :(
    Keep it up!

19. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice, realllly nice!

20. Matthew Raymond

Now @Rekkert just needs to model Chief O'Brien.
    Were the Clone Wars sets actually cell shaded? As for Paperman, I think they basically just did vector drawings over 3D models, so a Grease Pencil-like tool should be all you need. That does require quite a bit of 2D art experience, though.