3D interiors in Blender

Yeah, we probably would have been stuck with the shuttle pod at least until the Runabout set was built during season six.

Possibly TNG would have subsequently made more use of the Runabout, not just in Timescape.

It's one of those "best they could do with the budget they had" kind of things; and frankly, if it hadn't been for Star Trek V, I wonder if TNG ever would have gotten a decent large shuttle or if they would have kept using that godawful fake exterior for the Type 7 up through "All Good Things"?

Type 8 had a somewhat better stance in Voyager:
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Type_8_shuttlecraft

Nacelles don't bother me as much as lack of graceful supports arching over and down. Of course---that was omitted due to ease of construction. I think these large sets---El Baz too---had a "pedestal" the nacelles tried to hide.

On the type 8 the shuttle is standing clear with a flat sleek underside.

I always pictured El Baz's pedestal as an in-univers emergency thruster pack. Some Xenomorph comes through the glass and gets stuck, just bail and have it lift off like the Mars skycrane and have it blow up elsewhere ;)

Last edited:
On the type 8 the shuttle is standing clear with a flat sleek underside.
On the model, anyway. While the interior of the Type 6 was modified a bit when they started using it on Voyager, we never see a full-scale Type 8 from the outside, and when you do see the exterior of a shuttle, it's the same Type 6, chonky hexagonal nacelles and all.

Last edited:
Yes, it became a bit of a continuity nightmare because the exterior was the Type 6, the interior was dressed as Type 8, and the model footage used could be either (or both!) depending on what stock shots they used.

Is it Innocence where it starts as a Type 8 in space and then becomes a Type 6 when it lands? Must have been some re-entry.

And then there's the crashed Runabout in Battle Lines, complete with Type 6 nacelles!

@valkyrie013: I appreciate that, but I like doing these from time to time. :)

@cardinal biggles: Hehe, the USS Lalo was most certainly named for Edouard Lalo on TNG, but I thought naming the shuttle Schifrin was a cool easter egg, as he's from Argentina. ;)

Regarding the awkward TNG shuttles, yeah I highly doubt the full scale shuttle designed by Sterbach would've ever been built if it weren't for Star Trek V. I do quite like the resulting Type 6, but it's a shame they didn't even try to use Galaxy-style nacelles, which were already built and used for the Type 7 mockup, they could've tried to go for a look more like this, or even added pylons connecting the nacelles to the sides, like what they eventually did with the Type 8.
tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2023-06-05-04-16-05.jpg

Speaking of the Type 8, that's probably my favorite of all the Trek shuttles, it's also a shame that during Voyager they didn't go all in on converting the Type 6 exterior into the 8, rather than using both for some reason and then even introducing the Type 9 a season later.

After finishing the Type 6, I had to do this one as well, didn't I? I intended to finish it during the weekend, but I had other priorities as my partner had been hospitalized for a few weeks, and was given the weekend to return home for a bit, so I spent little time on the PC.

Modeling's mostly done, but I still have to do all the textures. This one will be for the USS Victory.
tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c9-01.jpg

[@cardinal biggles: Hehe, the USS Lalo was most certainly named for Edouard Lalo on TNG, but I thought naming the shuttle Schifrin was a cool easter egg, as he's from Argentina. ;)

Regarding the awkward TNG shuttles, yeah I highly doubt the full scale shuttle designed by Sterbach would've ever been built if it weren't for Star Trek V. I do quite like the resulting Type 6, but it's a shame they didn't even try to use Galaxy-style nacelles, which were already built and used for the Type 7 mockup, they could've tried to go for a look more like this, or even added pylons connecting the nacelles to the sides, like what they eventually did with the Type 8.
tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2023-06-05-04-16-05.jpg

Speaking of the Type 8, that's probably my favorite of all the Trek shuttles, it's also a shame that during Voyager they didn't go all in on converting the Type 6 exterior into the 8, rather than using both for some reason and then even introducing the Type 9 a season later.
Maybe it's because I'm used to the Type 6 we got, but a Type 6 body with Type 7 nacelles just looks... off somehow. Maybe if there were some sort of visible pylon (like the ones on the Type 8) it wouldn't look like they'd just plopped a thing down next to it.

After finishing the Type 6, I had to do this one as well, didn't I? I intended to finish it during the weekend, but I had other priorities as my partner had been hospitalized for a few weeks, and was given the weekend to return home for a bit, so I spent little time on the PC.

Modeling's mostly done, but I still have to do all the textures. This one will be for the USS Victory.
tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c9-01.jpg
Very nice! And I hope your partner is doing better.

Looking good!
Love the ST 5 shuttle!
If you do the Galaxy nacelle version, have a curved pylon attach to it like the Voyager verison. :)
Good luck on all the RL stuff!

Oh I agree the Type 6 with Galaxy nacelles just look weird like that. Like I said in my previous comment, I think it would look better with pylons like the Type 8, though I'm not gonna go down that rabbit hole, it was just a quick mockup to make my point. :)

Wanted to finish the TFF shuttle today, but after work I didn't feel like UV mapping, so I started just goofing around on Blender and thought that the two oval shaped protrusions at each side of the shuttle could be hardpoints for modules to be attached. So I did a rollbar which follows the lines of the shuttle, and a basic AWACS style dish (I did check, the doors have more than enough clearance).

This is very early and low poly as you can see, more of a concept really. I figure Victory with its 7 shuttlebays could have one or two of these dedicated shuttles for entering and studying nebulae or other spatial phenomena. Maybe I can do other variants with Saratoga-style sensors or Soyuz-style antennas. Yay or nay on the whole hardpoints/rollbar idea?

tadeo-d-oria-c12-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c11-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c10-01.jpg

I like this idea, but it seems to me this shuttle is too small for an AWACs type setup - Id expect this type of functionality on a DS9 style runabout. IRL, the E2-D Hawkeye is a bigger prop plane with a larger crew to operate, process, and transmit the data that it collects.

@Jason_Adank: Heh, funny you mention the Hawkeye, as it was my basis for this. While I'm not entirely convinced of the AWACS idea either way (I might try a triangular "dish" like the Antares had), I did at least do my homework and check how feasible this would be before posting about it. ;)

The Hawkeye has a crew of 5 (3 radar operators and two pilots). On Trek V we saw this shuttle has 10 seats (two pilots + 8 passengers). If we imagine half the volume on the aft compartment is taken by equipment, there's still more than enough room for 3 operators, assuming the same crew requirements.
tffhd0709.jpg

As for size, the Hawkeye is obviously longer at 17 meters vs 9 meters for the shuttle. But if we go by schematics available online, only about a third of that size covers the cockpit and radar operators area. Not to mention that the fuselage is a bit less wide than the shuttle, so the actual volume there is smaller.
7a1767c0771715be8ae71879d4aa5920.jpg

Oh I agree the Type 6 with Galaxy nacelles just look weird like that. Like I said in my previous comment, I think it would look better with pylons like the Type 8, though I'm not gonna go down that rabbit hole, it was just a quick mockup to make my point. :)

Wanted to finish the TFF shuttle today, but after work I didn't feel like UV mapping, so I started just goofing around on Blender and thought that the two oval shaped protrusions at each side of the shuttle could be hardpoints for modules to be attached. So I did a rollbar which follows the lines of the shuttle, and a basic AWACS style dish (I did check, the doors have more than enough clearance).

This is very early and low poly as you can see, more of a concept really. I figure Victory with its 7 shuttlebays could have one or two of these dedicated shuttles for entering and studying nebulae or other spatial phenomena. Maybe I can do other variants with Saratoga-style sensors or Soyuz-style antennas. Yay or nay on the whole hardpoints/rollbar idea?

tadeo-d-oria-c12-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c11-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c10-01.jpg
kinda like a proto-runabout..? the module does dominate the attention, maybe smaller, akin to the runabout pod size?

I actually really like the Type 6 with Galaxy nacelles! Probably would look better with pylons, but it does give it a more distinct silhouette. I guess in-universe it’s an older standard shuttlecraft and the Type 7 was supposed to be the new Galaxy-era shuttle.

I’ve always wondered about the little winglets on the STV shuttle. Hardpoints for additional sensors or other equipment makes a lot of sense, and the Soyuz or Saratoga would be era-appropriate.

Hmm, never thought the stubs as attachment points.. Sweet!
Maybe a heavy phaser? I do like the Awacs version! maybe the stubs can be added on to and be "Winglets" like an attach chopper with some type of missle/torpedo on hard points?

Doesn't have to be this one, but have you ever thought of a "Truck" version? one wiht a cockpit area, but the aft part is a flat bed to put on.. whatever, either that or a "container' like they use for shipping right now on those big boats.

Mark had his runabout version with different modules maybe this is the beginning blocks for it.
https://twitter.com/yard2380/status/854458718666321920

@Tomalak: Yeah I tend to view the Type 6 as the "Enterprise-C era" shuttle, that was kept in service due to its successful design. The Type 7 was the brand new Galaxy-class shuttle, and the Type 8 was the eventual refit of the 6 to bring it in line with newer technology.

@valkyrie013: Interesting idea with the "truck" version... It wouldn't work with this shuttle as it is due to the location of the impulse engines, but I can certainly see a variant made to ferry cargo containers like a larger warp capable version of a work bee.
workbee-christies1.jpg

As for the modularity thing, the DS9 Runabout itself was designed to be modular and have different attachments, we just never saw it on the show unfortunately. I certainly see this concept with the Victory shuttles as a precursor to that.
tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2023-06-07-01-29-23.jpg

I played with other shapes that conform more to the shape of the shuttle for the AWACS module (like the aforementioned triangle or an Oberth-style one), but they end up reminding me of something else, so a circle it is.
tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2023-06-07-01-09-26.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2023-06-07-01-07-17.jpg

I made it a smaller circumference though, and I think it works a lot better now. I added details but I wanted to leave it relatively sparse, like something they could've built and bolted on top of the shuttle on set. As you can see I've also finished with the liveries. I still have to add some details though, specifically those black and red stickers the shuttle had all over the side.

tadeo-d-oria-c12-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c13-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c14-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c15-01.jpg

Cool beans, @Rekkert. The pod attachments aren't really doing it for me, i think it would fit the runabout aesthetic more :)
Hope your partner is feeling better!!

Keep in mind that the reason why the radar system on an E-2 (or AWACS etc...) is a rotating aerial inside of that housing.

That's the ONLY reason the housing is shaped like it is. You don't have to use that format anymore than the U.S.S. Phoenix (Nebula class) needed it to be shaped that way...

I remember seeing an illustration or 3D mockup showing the interior of the lower sensor dome on an ENT or TOS-era ship was a rotating Y-shaped instrument array (I think it was something from Doug Drexler talking about the NX-01, but I've never been able to find it again).

Regardless, this shuttle would still be well within the era of starships using domes as sensor array housings on the top and bottom of the saucer section (I guess the last one we saw was the Ambassador, not counting PIC-era "throwbacks"), so the internals of that sensor disc could be a miniaturized version of whatever instrument clusters lived inside of those domes.

Back