3D interiors in Blender

At first I panicked and thought, “oh no, you blew away the mandala”, then I found it on that other narrow wall and balance was restored to my chakras. :)

I think I still liked it above and behind the Captain’s chair, though…

At first I panicked and thought, “oh no, you blew away the mandala”, then I found it on that other narrow wall and balance was restored to my chakras. :)

I think I still liked it above and behind the Captain’s chair, though…

Forgive me if this is a horribly ignorant question, but do mandalas have a "purpose?" Are they supposed to protect the captain (in which case it should be behind the captain's chair)? Are they supposed to be contemplated (in which case they should be in front of the captain)? Or are they just "pretty?"

dJE

I should point out, that's not a mandala, as in the religious pattern mostly associated with Buddhism or Hinduism; it's just a decorative circular pattern, which were very common in classical and medieval Persian decor. You can see similar patterns in everything from bronze plates and shields to architectural pieces.

@137th Gebirg: I liked its positioning there as well, but once the other elements were in place it kinda made that wall too much, so it balanced the room a bit more to have it somewhere else IMO.

@Rory1707: Thanks my friend!

@danellis: Religious mandalas are usually representations of aspects of the faith, they're like a mix between scripture and religious painting, rather than a protective amulet.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is a horribly ignorant question, but do mandalas have a "purpose?" Are they supposed to protect the captain (in which case it should be behind the captain's chair)? Are they supposed to be contemplated (in which case they should be in front of the captain)? Or are they just "pretty?"

dJE
I think @Rekkert definitely answered this question better than I would have. Yeah, I probably used the wrong word there. :)

I should point out, that's not a mandala, as in the religious pattern mostly associated with Buddhism or Hinduism; it's just a decorative circular pattern, which were very common in classical and medieval Persian decor. You can see similar patterns in everything from bronze plates and shields to architectural pieces.

@137th Gebirg: I liked its positioning there as well, but once the other elements were in place it kinda made that wall too much, so it balanced the room a bit more to have it somewhere else IMO.

@Rory1707: Thanks my friend!

@danellis: Religious mandalas are usually representations of aspects of the faith, they're like a mix between scripture and religious painting, rather than a protective amulet.

Thank you. In that case I agree with the new position, so that the captain can enjoy it from their desk.

dJE

Howdy!

I'm not very active here, but I've decided to hop in and get more involved in other forums besides SciFi-Meshes and Deviant Art if that counts.

I don't have any work in progress right now, but when I do my idea is to update this thread with it, not only to show my finished stuff.

In late 2016 I've learned how to use Blender (I used 3DS Max before) and started modeling a starship bridge. That became bridge of the USS Patagonia:

uss_patagonia_bridge__3_by_rekkert-darnyjb.png

uss_patagonia_bridge_cutaway_by_rekkert-daudbj4.png

After that I started a new bridge, intended for small ship from 'the lost era', the USS Galatea:

uss_galatea_bridge__3_by_rekkert-db2x9ji.png

uss_galatea_bridge_cutaway_by_rekkert-db2xhwt.png

At the same time, I received my first commission, to modify the Patagonia bridge and make it look similar to the Ent-B one. Hence the bridge of the Nomad was born, to be used on the new RPG at nomad.bravofleet.com.

uss_nomad_bridge__1_by_rekkert-db251db.png

uss_nomad_bridge_cutaway_by_rekkert-db251ab.png

Finally, I decided to bring the Galatea bridge into the TNG era, and modify it heavily to fit into that era. This became the bridge of the Charybdis, my latest design:

uss_charybdis_bridge__3_by_rekkert-db6hnq6.png

uss_charybdis_bridge_cutaway_by_rekkert-db6hnqp.png

I've got a lot more images, but I don't want to make this post that long, so you can see more of each bridge at deviantArt or at Art Station.

I'm more than open to ideas about what to do next, and any critiques to my work is welcome in order to improve it. Of course, if you're interested in a commission, feel free to drop by here. Thanks for looking!
these look awesome

Not having much free time lately, but last weekend playing around with stuff I came up with this very compact Enterprise-C/Stargazer era bridge, I planned to use it for an Oberth-Class ship but it's way too small for that IMO, so I decided to move it up to the TNG era and make it the bridge of the ill-fated USS Lalo, the small Mediterranean-Class freighter destroyed by the Borg in BoBW.

I already have ideas for other rooms in such a small craft intended for short range missions, so I intend to do 1 or 2 more directly after the bridge, starting with sickbay.

As you can see most stuff's already in place, though the colors aren't necessarily final. I still have to add LCARS, detailing on the walls, dedication plaque, and other details. Not to mention finishing the ceiling and adding more light. I don't think I'll add chairs for the two stations flanking the Captain.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg

Also, I should probably mention that last month Modiphius released the Utopia Planitia sourcebook for Star Trek Adventures, for which I had the pleasure of providing a couple bridge renders, including a TOS one which I did from scratch for the publication. Beyond being involved and all the excitement from that, after reading the copy I got I also genuinely really liked the book, as it contains a lot of new, cleverly written and well researched in-universe information about the ships and history of Starfleet, which is really cool to read if you like the topic, even if like me you're not an STA player. It's quite expensive for the physical copy, but I know they're planning on releasing just the PDF version down the line, just like they do with all their books.

@batboy853: Oh I've been doing that for over a year, @Donny finally convinced me to start adding those in back when I was working in the Thunderchild bridge :lol:, and I've retroactively added them to most of my personal projects and canon reproductions, so if you look at most of them in my portfolio now they have backlit falloff effects.

Like clockwork to showcase how much of a terrible salesman I am (not that I get paid or anything), the Utopia Planitia PDF was released today, so uh, if you want to check it out, now you can actually buy it! :lol:

Some more progress on the Lalo I did during the weekend. I tweaked the colors a bit and begun filling the LCARS. I decided to go with the "cheaper" sticker style keyboards often seen in TNG such as on the USS Sutherland bridge, to show this is far from a ship-of-the-line. I also went with a top view MSD style graphic above the Captain, as I imagine that's something they'd done on TNG to quickly establish the ship, I still have to add more details to it though. Also, the ceiling is a bit more developed.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg

Sweet bridge, love the renders. Looks a bit too uncluttered, if you know what I mean, but I think spartan is a good look.
Loving it Rekkert!

Whenever we have conversation like this: standing on the bridge, exploding consoles, seat belts, I wonder what real-world navy ships (as as reasonable comparison) do in that regard?

Does the HMS ship-of-the-week have standing stations that explode on her bridge?

dJE

Back