3D interiors in Blender

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Rory1707

Rory1707 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I like the way the ready room is coming together. I think you found the right balance in its design. IMO, I think having the rails placement in the center of the room is a great fit for this design. I agree it’s a great tool to help individuals move between the two levels. Can’t wait to see the finished renders my friend!

Rekkert likes this.
  2. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

Where did you get measurements from?

Rekkert and Nays like this.
  3. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

@Rory1707: Glad you're liking how it's coming together!

@Lt. Washburn: I took the basic measurements from the auction listings of the two desks here and here, then compared and corrected with screencaps to get as close to the surface area of Janeway's desk as possible.

Finn and Lt. Washburn like this.
  4. DSG2k

DSG2k Captain Captain

The coffee table somehow makes me think of the holography table (or tabletop device) Riker had in his quarters in "Haven"(TNG1). That may be another idea for 'decoration'.

Rekkert likes this.
  5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Janeway had one just like that one on Voyager.

Rekkert likes this.
  6. Rekkert

I slowly kept working on this during the past week whenever time allowed. I wasn't too big a fan of the curve the handrail followed, and I didn't want to just reuse the Voyager coffee table here, so I swapped the design for an oval shaped one (and with a glass top, I think it looks better), and redid the handrail and steps to follow along that shape. I also tweaked the wall behind the desk a bit; added back the blue lights at the bottom of the dark columns; added LCARS for the replicator and desktop monitor; and did another pass on the shape of the support behind the couch.

The biggest stuff that's missing now is decor. The Corps of Engineers books have the Appalachia under the command of Captain Ahmed al-Rashid, so while I don't necessary consider that written in stone as far as my version of the ship goes, it gave me the idea to incorporate some arabic elements into the decor. I also want to make it colorful as right now the room is overly grey and somewhat boring IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DSG2k

DSG2k Captain Captain

You do you, but that's such a warm gray and so softly, warmly lit that I can't imagine getting anything done there other than napping. Heck, gimme a pillow and that spot of floor under the replicator looks incredibly inviting for the purpose.

Commander Troi and Rekkert like this.
  8. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

I think carpet borders might help set off the platform a bit.

Rekkert and Finn like this.
  9. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles EAT FARTS Moderator

That, or maybe have the platform's carpet be a little bit darker, just enough to make it stand out.

Rekkert and Finn like this.
  10. Finn

Why not a frosted decal/emblem on that partition wall...either UFP, Starfleet or a program/department the Captain spent time in?

Rekkert likes this.
  11. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Bit of color? Some art maybe? Alot of grey on grey, otherwise, looking excellent!

Edit: Oh! you said that already.. hehe

Bit of red? Red and grey go well together.

Rekkert likes this.
  12. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad all that RGB stuff wasn't around when this era of Trek was made.. imagine the multicoloured carnage.. ;)

"Captain, the Romulans are attacking!"

"Quick! Switch shields to breathing mode!"

:p

Rekkert and danellis like this.
  13. Rekkert

@DSG2k: The grey is actually a very desaturated blue, so I wouldn't call it warm hahaha

@Lt. Washburn and @cardinal biggles: I do plan on adding a secondary color to the carpet, just as on the briefing room, however I wanted to finish the sofa shapes first just in case I decide to trace its outline on the carpet pattern.

@Finn: Interesting idea, I'll play around with it, but I feel it might be too eye catching.

@valkyrie013: Certainly, more reds and greens, there's enough blues already. :)

@Santaman: Oh god, imagine the Borg with RGB everywhere instead of floppy drives...

Started adding some of that decor, and decided now that I have the income to do so (and that I've seen that pretty much everyone else does it, it isn't as frowned upon as I once thought), I'd rather buy some assets as they're of a higher quality than I could do on the time I've got. For the longest of time I resisted this due to feeling like I have to make everything myself, but for decor like this which I'll probably only use once, I think it's a better approach. I might do so with plants as well, just to add some more variety to the ones I've already got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I love that mandala over the chair (is that what it is?) Great little extra splash of color there.

Rekkert and Commander Troi like this.
  15. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

@Rekkert Ooooh don't say that.. RGB Borg would be too much.. :rommie:

Rekkert likes this.
  16. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

There are many shades of grey... Over 50..:guffaw:

Rekkert and Commander Troi like this.
  17. Rekkert

Hadn't had time to work on this for a while... Today I've added some more decor and shuffled things around a bit.

Even on props I bought (5 in total) I ended up modifying all the materials, so that the colors work well together and the room isn't so grey anymore; I think it ended up with a nice pallet. Other than maybe adding a pattern on the floor I think I'm done with this room; what are your thoughts? Am I missing something?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Rory1707

Rory1707 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Awesome my friend. Love how this one turned out!

Rekkert and scifieric like this.
  19. Finn

Very nice

Rekkert likes this.
  20. Rekkert

Thanks @Rory1707 and @Finn!

I included the aforementioned carpet pattern on the upper level, but that's it as far as changes, here's the finished room!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]